UK and Europe · Public discussion

Dynamos vs. LEDs (Re: Cyclist Explodes! (NW Cambridge Plans))

Started by Alan Braggins · · Last activity · 167 posts · 3,926 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
9 October 2006
Last activity
19 October 2006
Original author
Alan Braggins
Posts
167
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,926
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 167
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article said:

    Tim B wrote on 08/10/2006 08:09 +0100:

    Quoted message said:
    Colin Rosenstiel said:

    The advantage of dynamos in my experience is that they just work.

    Oddly enough, I actually agree with Nick on this - dynamos are horribly
    unreliable, at least in my experience. And much dimmer.

    True for friction dynamos but the hub ones are fit and forget if a
    little more expensive to buy and more work to fit.

    OTOH I have a pretty bright LED (as good as my 10W halogen) that gives
    me a weeks commuting per recharge and comes with electronics to let me
    know the batteries need recharging (but ensures I get home before the
    light goes out).

    Which one's that? I tried a Solidlights which was comparable to my
    nominally 10W halogen at half charge (the halogen is unregulated),
    but it wouldn't last a week's commute if I was doing the whole
    16 miles each way at all. (It would probably last if I was doing my
    usual trip just from the Park and Ride, but then it's all streetlit
    and a Cateye EL300 is fine. (I cut the dynamo mounting tab off my folder
    as part of changing it's wheel size. I did try an old SA dynohub for a
    while, but it's a bit feeble compared with a modern dynamo and I didn't
    have the optimal bulb and even when it was turned off the gears felt
    draggier than the other hub. The bike I do the longer journey on has
    a bottle dynamo, which was very unreliable when new, but rewiring it
    with something other than knotted extruded cheese to just do the front
    bulb and use an earth wire fixed that.)

    (Cross-posted to uk.rec.cycling as it's no longer Cambridge specific.)

  2. Alan Braggins wrote on 09/10/2006 08:33 +0100:

    Quoted message said:
    In article said:


    OTOH I have a pretty bright LED (as good as my 10W halogen) that gives
    me a weeks commuting per recharge and comes with electronics to let me
    know the batteries need recharging (but ensures I get home before the
    light goes out).

    Which one's that? I tried a Solidlights which was comparable to my
    nominally 10W halogen at half charge (the halogen is unregulated),
    but it wouldn't last a week's commute if I was doing the whole
    16 miles each way at all. (It would probably last if I was doing my
    usual trip just from the Park and Ride, but then it's all streetlit
    and a Cateye EL300 is fine.

    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442545731&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692895&bmUID=1160379849579
    It has two settings so most of the time I use it on the low power
    setting, switching to high power for the unlit roads. All for about £35.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  3. Tony Raven said:

    http://www.mec.ca/

    I do wish MEC had a branch in the UK, preferably Scotland, preferably
    Dundee... We're members, but it's a bit of a trek to the nearest one
    and they won't post canoe paddles :-(

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  4. Peter Clinch wrote on 09/10/2006 09:27 +0100:

    Quoted message said:
    Tony Raven said:

    http://www.mec.ca/

    I do wish MEC had a branch in the UK, preferably Scotland, preferably
    Dundee... We're members, but it's a bit of a trek to the nearest one
    and they won't post canoe paddles :-(

    Good thing too - our stock up trips there are invariably very expensive
    affairs - there is so many "ooh, look at this" moments going round the
    store and you've just got to get it while you are there.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Alan Braggins said:

    while, but it's a bit feeble compared with a modern dynamo and I didn't
    have the optimal bulb and even when it was turned off the gears felt
    draggier than the other hub. The bike I do the longer journey on has

    Some vague bit of the back of my brain is telling me that some old
    dynamo hubs actually provide more resistance to motion when there
    isn't any current being drawn...

    --
    Jonathan Amery. Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
    ##### 'Gainst the dragons of anger, the ogres of greed;
    #######__o And let me set free, with the sword of my youth,
    #######'/ From the castle of darkness the power of truth." - Struther

  6. Jonathan Amery said:

    Some vague bit of the back of my brain is telling me that some old
    dynamo hubs actually provide more resistance to motion when there
    isn't any current being drawn...

    That was the case for the very first model of the Shimano dynohub.
    They fixed it in later versions.

    --
    Arthur Clune

  7. In article said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Alan Braggins said:

    while, but it's a bit feeble compared with a modern dynamo and I didn't
    have the optimal bulb and even when it was turned off the gears felt
    draggier than the other hub. The bike I do the longer journey on has

    Some vague bit of the back of my brain is telling me that some old
    dynamo hubs actually provide more resistance to motion when there
    isn't any current being drawn...

    True of the early Shimano ones at high speed:
    http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html

    But in the case of the SA three speeds I was using, it was also noisier,
    so I think it was mechanical. Or maybe I just imagined the drag because
    of the noise. They did both came off scrap bikes.

  8. LEDs aren't very good at generating electricity; if your dynamo is
    generating much visible light, you are well advised not to approach
    the bicycle.

    Does any more need to be said about comparing these?

    More seriously, the thing that pisses me off about LED lights is
    the way that they are all designed to use the nasty little AA (and,
    worse, AAA or coin-shaped) batteries. Ones designed to use D (or
    even C) cells (or to operate from dynamos) and to generate a wide,
    bright light seem to be almost unobtainable.

    Regards,
    Nick Maclaren.

  9. Nick Maclaren said:

    More seriously, the thing that pisses me off about LED lights is
    the way that they are all designed to use the nasty little AA (and,
    worse, AAA or coin-shaped) batteries.

    Most, yes, but not all.

    Quoted message said:

    Ones designed to use D (or
    even C) cells (or to operate from dynamos) and to generate a wide,
    bright light seem to be almost unobtainable.

    My Streetmachine runs LED lamps front and rear from a dynohub: the
    DLumotec Oval Senso Plus and DToplight Plus pair running from a SON.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  10. Nick Maclaren said:

    More seriously, the thing that pisses me off about LED lights is
    the way that they are all designed to use the nasty little AA (and,
    worse, AAA or coin-shaped) batteries. Ones designed to use D (or
    even C) cells (or to operate from dynamos) and to generate a wide,
    bright light seem to be almost unobtainable.

    They seem to coming in now - I have a BuM Topal, which is pretty good,
    and recently got a Basta one, which although a good bit cheaper, seems
    as bright as the BuM. Both have stand-lights, and project enough light
    to see by in the woods, although at reduced speeds.

  11. sothach said:
    Nick Maclaren said:

    More seriously, the thing that pisses me off about LED lights is
    the way that they are all designed to use the nasty little AA (and,
    worse, AAA or coin-shaped) batteries. Ones designed to use D (or
    even C) cells (or to operate from dynamos) and to generate a wide,
    bright light seem to be almost unobtainable.

    They seem to coming in now - I have a BuM Topal, which is pretty good,
    and recently got a Basta one, which although a good bit cheaper, seems
    as bright as the BuM. Both have stand-lights, and project enough
    light to see by in the woods, although at reduced speeds.

    <AOL>

    Plus there's the Solidlights 1203D, which sadly is not available in a
    Lightspin-compatible version :-(

    --
    Dave Larrington
    <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
    It is not possible to call a complex number from a phone box.

  12. (Nick Maclaren) said:


    LEDs aren't very good at generating electricity; if your dynamo is
    generating much visible light, you are well advised not to approach
    the bicycle.

    Does any more need to be said about comparing these?

    More seriously, the thing that pisses me off about LED lights is
    the way that they are all designed to use the nasty little AA (and,
    worse, AAA or coin-shaped) batteries. Ones designed to use D (or
    even C) cells (or to operate from dynamos) and to generate a wide,
    bright light seem to be almost unobtainable.

    B&M do the DLumotec Oval, an LED version of their "Oval" front light.

    Solidlights 1203D is also a dynamo driven LED light.

    Tim

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,
    Tim Hall <[email hidden]> writes:
    |>
    |> B&M do the DLumotec Oval, an LED version of their "Oval" front light.
    |>
    |> Solidlights 1203D is also a dynamo driven LED light.

    Thanks everyone. At long last, things are looking up in that area!
    I am still complete baffled why it didn't happen before, given that
    white or whitish and red LEDs have been cheap for a long time now.

    Regards,
    Nick Maclaren.

  14. Nick Maclaren said:

    I am still complete baffled why it didn't happen before, given that
    white or whitish and red LEDs have been cheap for a long time now.

    Partly because they only changed the British Standard to make them
    legal last year. But I'm amazed, I had no idea they were so good.
    Still, I'm happy with my CatEyes and rechargeables (almost all on lit
    streets, though)
    cheers, Tim.

  15. Nick Maclaren said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Tim Hall <[email hidden]> writes:
    |>
    |> B&M do the DLumotec Oval, an LED version of their "Oval" front light.
    |>
    |> Solidlights 1203D is also a dynamo driven LED light.

    Thanks everyone. At long last, things are looking up in that area!
    I am still complete baffled why it didn't happen before, given that
    white or whitish and red LEDs have been cheap for a long time now.

    And it comes full circle as the company that produces Solidlights is
    based in Cambridge.

    Might be worth giving them a call and seeing if you can drop in to get
    a demo.

    -Alex

  16. Tim B said:

    Partly because they only changed the British Standard to make them
    legal last year. But I'm amazed, I had no idea they were so good.
    Still, I'm happy with my CatEyes and rechargeables (almost all on lit
    streets, though)
    cheers, Tim.

    What I really meant was that I had no idea hub dynamos were so good!
    sorry.

  17. Tim B said:

    What I really meant was that I had no idea hub dynamos were so good!
    sorry.

    A few years ago I was very much of the opinion that no bike of mine
    would ever have (a) a bell, (b) a stand or (c) a dynamo. (a) and (b)
    because I regarded them as pointless and (c) because they all seemed to
    be [censored] in the face of good rechargeables.

    When I got my recumbent tourer I asked existing owners what the No
    Brainer factory options were, and the dynohub lighting was a common
    answer. I decided they couldn't /all/ be wrong and it turned out they
    weren't. Was impressed enough to get another SON for the Brompton, and
    subsequently Roos bought a similar 'bent tourer with a SON, and Santa
    brought her a Shimano dynohub for her hack bike.

    The SON hubs are the badgers' nadgers, the Shimano ones aren't quite as
    nice but not that far off, and are quite a bit cheaper. For routine
    trouble free road use where serious weight-weenieage isn't in order
    they're very hard to beat IMHO, especially if (like me) you're not very
    good with the discipline of keeping cells charged properly.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  18. In article said:

    More seriously, the thing that pisses me off about LED lights is
    the way that they are all designed to use the nasty little AA (and,
    worse, AAA or coin-shaped) batteries. Ones designed to use D (or
    even C) cells (or to operate from dynamos) and to generate a wide,
    bright light seem to be almost unobtainable.

    Modern cheap AA NiCds have the same capacity that typical Ds did some
    years back (and many modern C and D cells are the same capacity just
    in a larger package, though you can get more expensive higher capacity
    ones).

    A Cateye EL300 will last for over 8 hours on a set of AA NiCds. LEDs that
    are actually capable of using the higher capacity of larger cells (at
    least on a commute, not 24 hour endurance races) are relatively rare and
    expensive.

  19. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] (Alan Braggins) writes:
    |>
    |> Modern cheap AA NiCds have the same capacity that typical Ds did some
    |> years back (and many modern C and D cells are the same capacity just
    |> in a larger package, though you can get more expensive higher capacity
    |> ones).

    Yeah, but that's NiCads. The same is NOT true for simple alkaline
    primary batteries, which are still the most common ones. D cells
    have getting on for 10 times the capacity of AA cells and nowhere near
    the same cost factor. Note that using current more slowly is generally
    more efficient.

    |> A Cateye EL300 will last for over 8 hours on a set of AA NiCds. LEDs that
    |> are actually capable of using the higher capacity of larger cells (at
    |> least on a commute, not 24 hour endurance races) are relatively rare and
    |> expensive.

    Eh? An LED doesn't burn out THAT fast!

    You almost certainly mean that individual LEDs can't use much current,
    but why the hell not use more than one LED? Most cyclists' lights
    (and even front lights for 90% of commuting) are primarily to be seen,
    and not to see by and you need the width anyway (as I said).

    Having to change or recharge the batteries once every few weeks is a
    pain in the neck, at best.

    Regards,
    Nick Maclaren.

  20. In article said:

    [email hidden] (Alan Braggins) writes:
    |>
    |> Modern cheap AA NiCds have the same capacity that typical Ds did some
    |> years back (and many modern C and D cells are the same capacity just
    |> in a larger package, though you can get more expensive higher capacity
    |> ones).

    Yeah, but that's NiCads. The same is NOT true for simple alkaline
    primary batteries, which are still the most common ones.

    For regular commuting? I very much doubt it. (Actually NiMH has probably
    largely taken over now, but the generalisation above remains true of NiMH.)

    Quoted message said:

    |> A Cateye EL300 will last for over 8 hours on a set of AA NiCds. LEDs that
    |> are actually capable of using the higher capacity of larger cells (at
    |> least on a commute, not 24 hour endurance races) are relatively rare and
    |> expensive.

    Eh? An LED doesn't burn out THAT fast!

    I'm not sure what your point is here. The batteries running out of charge
    has nothing to do with LEDs burning out (though an LED will burn out THAT
    fast if you put a few amps though it, and AAs are fine for lower currents).

    Quoted message said:

    You almost certainly mean that individual LEDs can't use much current,
    but why the hell not use more than one LED?

    The EL300 uses five, as it happens, but the newer EL530 uses a single
    higher power one for similar or greater brightness.

    There are flashlights using multiple 3W or 5W Luxeons that run off D cells
    (or, in some cases, D cell sized adaptors taking three AA cells in parallel
    giving a higher capacity/cost), but, as I said, they are relatively rare and
    expensive.

    Quoted message said:

    Most cyclists' lights
    (and even front lights for 90% of commuting) are primarily to be seen,
    and not to see by and you need the width anyway (as I said).

    Which is why most cyclists are quite happy with the lower powered
    lights for which the AA cells are adequate anyway.

    Quoted message said:

    Having to change or recharge the batteries once every few weeks is a
    pain in the neck, at best.

    Use a dynamo then. I doubt much of a market exists for lights which are
    bulkier and heavier but only need recharging less frequently.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.