UK and Europe · Public discussion

Easy Question: Rubbing V-Brakes

Started by Burning_Ranger · · Last activity · 9 posts · 466 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
20 August 2004
Last activity
21 August 2004
Original author
Burning_Ranger
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
466
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough for me
    it seems).

    My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I read
    some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the side of the
    V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix this. I tried turning
    the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant to do anything further in
    case I mess it up even more. Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move
    it back a bit, or is there a simpler way?

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email hidden]

  2. in message <[email hidden]>, Burning_Ranger

    (') said:

    You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough
    for me it seems).

    My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I
    read some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the
    side of the V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix
    this. I tried turning the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant
    to do anything further in case I mess it up even more. Should I simply
    loosen the brake pad and move it back a bit, or is there a simpler
    way?

    Is this a good quality V brake or a cheap one? IME with some of the
    cheap ones the only effective way to adjust them is to physically bend
    the springs (usually outwards).

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

  3. Quoted message said:

    My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I read
    some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the side of the
    V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix this. I tried


    turning

    Quoted message said:

    the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant to do anything further in
    case I mess it up even more. Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move
    it back a bit, or is there a simpler way?

    Easyish to do...

    First, find the necessary allen key to remove the V's. Second, take them
    apart carefully, remembering in what order they need to go back. If you have
    grease, grease the rotational bits. Then put them back on, but without the
    allen bolts in, and unwind the adjuster screws all the way. See how they
    compare there - if they both spring out the same distance you're probably
    all right. If not, you'll need to bend one of the springs a bit. Oh, and if
    your forks have a a couple of holes in which to fit the end of the spring
    mech, make sure they're both in the same one. If you see what I mean.

    Then connect up the noodle on top, adjust the screws, see what happens. If
    it's still not right, try bending the spring again slightly. Then reinsert
    the allenbolts. I did that - 10 minute job, easy peasy.

    HTH
    Nick

  4. "Burning_Ranger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough for


    me

    Quoted message said:

    it seems).

    My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I read
    some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the side of the
    V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix this. I tried


    turning

    Quoted message said:

    the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant to do anything further in
    case I mess it up even more. Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move
    it back a bit, or is there a simpler way?

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email hidden]

    Something else to try is to turn BOTH adjuster screws on both sides. i.e.
    loosen the one thats not rubbing and tighten the one that is (or vice
    versa) - i usually find that to stop my brakes rubbing i have to fiddle with
    both screws to find a happy medium.

  5. "Burning_Ranger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough for


    me

    Quoted message said:

    it seems).

    My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I read
    some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the side of the
    V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix this. I tried


    turning

    Quoted message said:

    the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant to do anything further in
    case I mess it up even more. Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move
    it back a bit, or is there a simpler way?

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email hidden]


    Have you checked to see if your wheel is not
    buckled and seated correctly on your forks,
    then checked your brake pads are at the right
    height and then check your cable tension,if
    everything is fine,turning the adjuster screw
    normally works.

  6. "Burning_Ranger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough for me
    it seems).

    My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I read
    some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the side of the
    V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix this. I tried turning
    the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant to do anything further in
    case I mess it up even more. Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move
    it back a bit, or is there a simpler way?

    Have you tried adjusting the position of the pads themselves relative
    to the wheel rim (easy to do with peg-type blocks, less so with the
    allen-bolt type)?

    David E. Belcher

  7. Lee said:

    "Burning_Ranger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough
    for me it seems).

    My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I
    read some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the
    side of the V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix
    this. I tried turning the screw both ways but no change. I'm
    hesitant to do anything further in case I mess it up even more.
    Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move it back a bit, or is
    there a simpler way?

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email hidden]

    Something else to try is to turn BOTH adjuster screws on both sides.
    i.e. loosen the one thats not rubbing and tighten the one that is (or
    vice versa) - i usually find that to stop my brakes rubbing i have to
    fiddle with both screws to find a happy medium.

    Thanks. This worked and was very simple (when you know how).

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email hidden]

  8. s....Six said:

    "Burning_Ranger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough
    for me it seems).

    My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I
    read some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the
    side of the V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix
    this. I tried turning the screw both ways but no change. I'm
    hesitant to do anything further in case I mess it up even more.
    Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move it back a bit, or is
    there a simpler way?

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email hidden]


    Have you checked to see if your wheel is not
    buckled and seated correctly on your forks,
    then checked your brake pads are at the right
    height and then check your cable tension,if
    everything is fine,turning the adjuster screw
    normally works.

    Wheel and rims are fine. I followed the advice of one of the other posters
    and tried adjusting both sides and it worked.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email hidden]

  9. "Burning_Ranger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    s....Six said:

    "Burning_Ranger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough
    for me it seems).

    My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I
    read some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the
    side of the V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix
    this. I tried turning the screw both ways but no change. I'm
    hesitant to do anything further in case I mess it up even more.
    Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move it back a bit, or is
    there a simpler way?

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email hidden]

    Wheel and rims are fine. I followed the advice of one of the other posters
    and tried adjusting both sides and it worked.

    --

    Burning_Ranger

    To email: [email hidden]


    Good show,that was all i had do when had problems
    with mine,i'm glad its sorted.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.