"Eat more beans" to stop cancer

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Steve, Sep 15, 2005.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    From:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4247984.stm

    ------------------
    'Eat more beans' to stop cancer

    Beans contain a potent anti-cancer compound

    A diet rich in beans, nuts and cereals could be a way to prevent
    cancer, believe UK researchers.

    Scientists at University College London have discovered that these
    everyday foods contain a potent anti-cancer compound.

    This blocks a key enzyme involved in tumour growth, they told Cancer
    Research journal.

    The researchers say, in the future, it might be possible to mimic this
    compound in an anti-cancer drug.

    Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as
    beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer
    Researcher Dr Marco Falasca

    Scientists have been exploring the enzyme phosphoinositide 3-kinase as
    a target for cancer treatment for some time but inhibitors have been
    difficult to develop because of problems with chemical stability and
    toxicity.

    Dr Marco Falasca and colleagues have discovered that a natural
    compound, called inositol pentakisphosphate, which is found in most
    legumes as well as in wheat bran and nuts, blocks the activity of the
    enzyme.

    When they tested its action in mice with ovarian and lung cancer they
    found it not only blocked tumour growth but also enhanced the effect of
    other cancer-killing drugs.

    In addition, it appeared to be non-toxic, unlike conventional
    chemotherapy agents.

    Dr Falasca said: "Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched
    in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent
    cancer.

    "Our work will now focus on establishing whether the phosphate
    inhibitor can be developed into an anti-cancer agent for human therapy.

    The next step is to look at whether inositol pentakisphosphate is able
    to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients
    Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK

    "We believe that inositol pentakisphosphate is a promising anti-cancer
    tool and we hope to bring it to clinical testing soon."

    Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging
    when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity
    in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like
    beans and peas.

    "Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol
    pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients,
    in properly controlled clinical trials."

    He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more
    lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing
    cancers

    "What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
    portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
    cancer."

    Tags:

  2. "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > From:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4247984.stm
    >
    > ------------------
    > 'Eat more beans' to stop cancer
    >
    > Beans contain a potent anti-cancer compound
    >
    > A diet rich in beans, nuts and cereals could be a way to prevent
    > cancer, believe UK researchers.
    >
    > Scientists at University College London have discovered that these
    > everyday foods contain a potent anti-cancer compound.
    >
    > This blocks a key enzyme involved in tumour growth, they told Cancer
    > Research journal.
    >
    > The researchers say, in the future, it might be possible to mimic this
    > compound in an anti-cancer drug.
    >

    > Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as
    > beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer
    > Researcher Dr Marco Falasca
    >
    > Scientists have been exploring the enzyme phosphoinositide 3-kinase as
    > a target for cancer treatment for some time but inhibitors have been
    > difficult to develop because of problems with chemical stability and
    > toxicity.
    >
    > Dr Marco Falasca and colleagues have discovered that a natural
    > compound, called inositol pentakisphosphate, which is found in most
    > legumes as well as in wheat bran and nuts, blocks the activity of the
    > enzyme.
    >
    > When they tested its action in mice with ovarian and lung cancer they
    > found it not only blocked tumour growth but also enhanced the effect of
    > other cancer-killing drugs.
    >
    > In addition, it appeared to be non-toxic, unlike conventional
    > chemotherapy agents.
    >
    > Dr Falasca said: "Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched
    > in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent
    > cancer.
    >
    > "Our work will now focus on establishing whether the phosphate
    > inhibitor can be developed into an anti-cancer agent for human therapy.
    >

    > The next step is to look at whether inositol pentakisphosphate is able
    > to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients
    > Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK
    >
    > "We believe that inositol pentakisphosphate is a promising anti-cancer
    > tool and we hope to bring it to clinical testing soon."
    >
    > Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging
    > when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity
    > in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like
    > beans and peas.
    >
    > "Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol
    > pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients,
    > in properly controlled clinical trials."
    >
    > He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more
    > lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing
    > cancers
    >
    > "What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
    > portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
    > cancer."

    Do diets that include at least five portions of fowl,
    pork, beef, and lamb a day reduce the risk of cancer?

    George

  3. "George Cherry" <[email protected]> wrote in
> [...]
    >>
    >> Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging
    >> when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity
    >> in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like
    >> beans and peas.
    >>
    >> "Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol
    >> pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients,
    >> in properly controlled clinical trials."
    >>
    >> He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more
    >> lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing
    >> cancers
    >>
    >> "What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
    >> portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
    >> cancer."

    > Do diets that include at least five portions of fowl,
    > pork, beef, and lamb a day reduce the risk of cancer?

    Somebody's study shows that diets high in such foods reduces IQ points by at
    least 20%. Consider yourself lucky that the diminished percentage is
    relatively small since your base score was low to begin with.

  4. Dick Malchik

    Dick Malchik Guest

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:13:16 -0400, "George Cherry"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >>
    >> Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging
    >> when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity
    >> in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like
    >> beans and peas.
    >>
    >> "Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol
    >> pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients,
    >> in properly controlled clinical trials."
    >>
    >> He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more
    >> lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing
    >> cancers
    >>
    >> "What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
    >> portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
    >> cancer."

    >Do diets that include at least five portions of fowl,
    >pork, beef, and lamb a day reduce the risk of cancer?

    You can strongly assert the fowl, pork, beef, and lamb at the market
    did NOT die from cancer!

  5. Jerry Story

    Jerry Story Guest

    Beans, beans, good for your heart.
    The more you eat, the more you ____.

  6. Beach Runner

    Beach Runner Guest

    Dick Malchik wrote:

> [...]
    >>>
    >>>Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging
    >>>when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity
    >>>in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like
    >>>beans and peas.
    >>>
    >>>"Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol
    >>>pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients,
    >>>in properly controlled clinical trials."
    >>>
    >>>He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more
    >>>lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing
    >>>cancers
    >>>
    >>>"What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
    >>>portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
    >>>cancer."

    >>Do diets that include at least five portions of fowl,
    >>pork, beef, and lamb a day reduce the risk of cancer?

    Beans have fiber, which is a major difference. They also have
    phytochemicalsl, to various degrees.

    >>George
    >>

    > You can strongly assert the fowl, pork, beef, and lamb at the market
    > did NOT die from cancer!

  7. Juhana Harju

    Juhana Harju Guest

    Jerry Story wrote:
    : Beans, beans, good for your heart.
    : The more you eat, the more you ____.

    Smile?

    --
    Juhana

  8. Just Cocky

    Just Cocky Guest

    On 15 Sep 2005 10:10:15 -0700, "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >'Eat more beans' to stop cancer

    Hmm, I wonder what the effect on Global Warming will be, with all that
    additional gas...

  9. D.E.

    D.E. Guest

    >>> "What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
    >>> portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
    >>> cancer."

    >> Do diets that include at least five portions of fowl,
    >> pork, beef, and lamb a day reduce the risk of cancer?

    > Somebody's study shows that diets high in such foods reduces IQ points by
    > at least 20%. Consider yourself lucky that the diminished percentage is
    > relatively small since your base score was low to begin with.

    I am vegetarian, so I used drugs to lower my IQ points.
    I like to stay normal ;o)

  10. D.E.

    D.E. Guest

    "Just Cocky" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > On 15 Sep 2005 10:10:15 -0700, "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>'Eat more beans' to stop cancer
    >>

    > Hmm, I wonder what the effect on Global Warming will be, with all that
    > additional gas...

    Hmm I always wondered that.
    Also with carbonated water and softdrinks,
    They release CO2 in the armosphere, so how much
    do those soda drinkers contribute? ;o)

  11. This is nothing .. new ..

    This is just IP6 / inositol hexakisphosphate .. and this substance has
    been spoken to for the last few years ..

    Since it is an iron chelator .. and since iron chelators are being used
    in cancer .. the fact that it seems to work .. in .. cancer .. is ..
    not .. very .. surprising ..

    I find it amusing that some .. FIND .. it to .. BE .. something .. new

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com

    Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore

    DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  12. People consuming dairy products are simply adding fuel to the cancer
    cells.

    Dairy contains IGF-1 (a hormone shared by cows and people) and some of
    it survives digestion to become systemic.

    By age 40 *ALL* people regardless of diet, race, or climate have cancer
    cells. Whether these cells begin to proliferate depends on hormonal
    instruction.

    Normally bioactive IGF-1 decreases with age (being locked to proteins
    and therefore inactive) reducing the ability of cancers to grow. Add
    IGF-1 from dairy and your cancer cells may start proliferating.

    Steve wrote:
    > From:
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4247984.stm
    >
    > ------------------
    > 'Eat more beans' to stop cancer
    >
    > Beans contain a potent anti-cancer compound
    >
    > A diet rich in beans, nuts and cereals could be a way to prevent
    > cancer, believe UK researchers.
    >
    > Scientists at University College London have discovered that these
    > everyday foods contain a potent anti-cancer compound.
    >
    > This blocks a key enzyme involved in tumour growth, they told Cancer
    > Research journal.
    >
    > The researchers say, in the future, it might be possible to mimic this
    > compound in an anti-cancer drug.
    >

    > Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as
    > beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer
    > Researcher Dr Marco Falasca
    >
    > Scientists have been exploring the enzyme phosphoinositide 3-kinase as
    > a target for cancer treatment for some time but inhibitors have been
    > difficult to develop because of problems with chemical stability and
    > toxicity.
    >
    > Dr Marco Falasca and colleagues have discovered that a natural
    > compound, called inositol pentakisphosphate, which is found in most
    > legumes as well as in wheat bran and nuts, blocks the activity of the
    > enzyme.
    >
    > When they tested its action in mice with ovarian and lung cancer they
    > found it not only blocked tumour growth but also enhanced the effect of
    > other cancer-killing drugs.
    >
    > In addition, it appeared to be non-toxic, unlike conventional
    > chemotherapy agents.
    >
    > Dr Falasca said: "Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched
    > in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent
    > cancer.
    >
    > "Our work will now focus on establishing whether the phosphate
    > inhibitor can be developed into an anti-cancer agent for human therapy.
    >

    > The next step is to look at whether inositol pentakisphosphate is able
    > to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients
    > Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK
    >
    > "We believe that inositol pentakisphosphate is a promising anti-cancer
    > tool and we hope to bring it to clinical testing soon."
    >
    > Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging
    > when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity
    > in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like
    > beans and peas.
    >
    > "Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol
    > pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients,
    > in properly controlled clinical trials."
    >
    > He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more
    > lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing
    > cancers
    >
    > "What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five
    > portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of
    > cancer."

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > People consuming dairy products are simply adding fuel to the cancer
    > cells.
    >
    > Dairy contains IGF-1 (a hormone shared by cows and people) and some of
    > it survives digestion to become systemic.
    >
    > By age 40 *ALL* people regardless of diet, race, or climate have cancer
    > cells. Whether these cells begin to proliferate depends on hormonal
    > instruction.
    >
    > Normally bioactive IGF-1 decreases with age (being locked to proteins
    > and therefore inactive) reducing the ability of cancers to grow. Add
    > IGF-1 from dairy and your cancer cells may start proliferating.

    Reducing IGF-1 levels also speeds aging.
    Increasing IGF-1 levels helps one retain muscle tissue.

    Thanks for the hint!
    I'm going to increase my dairy intake since I lift weights. ;-)
    --
    Om.

  14. DZ

    DZ Guest