Eddy Merckx 60th Birthday - the man, the cyclist

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Eddy Merckx (EM) recently celebrated his 60th birthday.
By common consent EM is the greatest rider ever to have ridden a bike in anger.
Today the name of Merckx resonates perhaps not as strongly as it once did.

This is my attempt to portray the man and the cyclist.

“He is now the highest paid rider in the world. The lowest criterium appearance fee is £600.00 and the highest being £1,000.00. His team the only team to finish with all 10 men will find the reflected glory (of winning the 1969 TDF) bringing them a small fortune, something like £2,500.00 each”.

“My performance in the 1969 TDF is perhaps my greatest achivement.
To win all five classement jerseys and to win the TDF stands out.
Remember we raced for 22 days, with no rest day either !”

Hugh Porter at the Dave Rayner fund dinner 2004 interviewing EM :
“E, why did you decide to go on that lone break on the Luchon-Mourenaux stage ?
You ascended the Tourmalet on a 53x13 gear – why or what made you do this, after all it’s one of the toughest stages in any TDF and you could have ridden within yourself, give your already huge lead in that 1969 Tour ?”
EM after a very long pause to consider his answer :
“I did it because I am mad !”.
(Audience convulsed with laughter and applause).

“I felt I had to be here. It’s that simple. Sean Kelly is a great great rider.
One of the greatest in the history of cycling.
I consider Sean to be a close friend and I just had to fly here to Carrick on Suir to cycle with Sean in his last race.
The King of Belgium asked me to convey to Sean, as well, the best wishes of all the Belgian people on his retirement.
We regard Sean as Belgian”
- to legendary Irish commentator Jimmy McGee on 12th December 1994 at SK’s last ever race in Tipperary, Ireland.

“Axel has done something which no Merckx ever did – that is win an Olympic medal.
I was always proud of Axel. I know he took a hard road and that he would get a lot of pressure. Axel achievement today makes me very very happy.
More happy than managed to feel with my own achievements.
- after AM bronze medal win at Athens 2004

“I always cycled to win. I cannot explain this or tell you why I wanted to win every race. I just did feel this way.
Neither of my parents cycled or raced.
Maybe it was my very happy upbringing. My parents were great parents.
Maybe that’s why I did so well – my happy childhood.”

“You know that he’s a very very tough man but a very very fair man.
I raced against Eddy for years and he beat me a lot more than I beat him.
But he never denigrated me or the other cyclists he competed against.
I always had the feeling that Eddy competed and was hardest on himself.
It wouldn’t matter if we were there or not – he would have tried to beat
himself !”
- Felice Gimondi.

“I called to deliver Eddy’s new bike for the Milan-San Remo race in 1967.
I knew he got up early and trained – so I arrived at the hotel at 7.00am.
When I got to his hotel, the receptionist tells me “Merckx is gone off on his bike”.
I waited there all day and in the afternoon I saw him pedalling back.
“where were you ?, I asked”. “Oh, I went training to a village called
Albi” “You couldn’t have – Albi is about 350+ kilometres away !”
Eddy had ridden 350kms two days before competing and winning his first
of 7 Milan-San Remos.
How could someone recover and win so quickly ? The man was phenomenal”

- Ernesto Colnago Master Bike Builder.

“He used to get up in the middle of the night. He couldn’t sleep and he used to go downstairs and look at his bike.
This would be a regular thing with Eddy. He was always thinking about cycling and his bike”

- Claudine Merckx (Eddy’s wife)

“You might call this the ravings of an old man, but EM reminds me of the guys who cycled before the Great War (WWI). Hard men, men who worked in the fields all day
and who would cycle for sport at the weekend, for fun.
In an era of hard physical work, people took pride in having free time and they enjoyed the freedom of cycling back them. EM reminds me of those same men”

-Phillippe Thys (first man to win 3 T’sDF between 1911-1921) in 1969

“Before the crash at Blois, cycling was easy for me. No strain, no strain whatsoever.
I turned the pedal easily. Even in the TDF, I was never tired.
After the crash, cycling became more difficult for me. Yes, I still managed to win but it was never as easy as it was before the crash. I lost a lot to that crash.
Of course the death of my pacemaker (Fernand Wambst) was terrible in that accident as well.
But from a cycling perspective, I was never the same rider after 1969”.

“I always flogged myself on the bike. I can’t cycle any other way. Maybe that’s not the way the people who know about the sport think a rider should ride. But I knew no other way.”

limerickman said:

“He is now the highest paid rider in the world. The lowest criterium appearance fee is £600.00 and the highest being £1,000.00. His team the only team to finish with all 10 men will find the reflected glory (of winning the 1969 TDF) bringing them a small fortune, something like £2,500.00 each”.

You ascended the Tourmalet on a 53x13 gear – why or what made you do this, after all it’s one of the toughest stages in any TDF and you could have ridden within yourself, give your already huge lead in that 1969 Tour ?”

I consider Sean to be a close friend and I just had to fly here to Carrick on Suir to cycle with Sean in his last race.
The King of Belgium asked me to convey to Sean, as well, the best wishes of all the Belgian people on his retirement.
- to legendary Irish commentator Jimmy McGee on 12th December 1994 at SK’s last ever race in Tipperary, Ireland.

“Axel has done something which no Merckx ever did – that is win an Olympic medal.
I was always proud of Axel. I know he took a hard road and that he would get a lot of pressure. Axel achievement today makes me very very happy.

“I always cycled to win. I cannot explain this or tell you why I wanted to win every race. I just did feel this way.

himself !”
- Felice Gimondi.

When I got to his hotel, the receptionist tells me “Merckx is gone off on his bike”.
of 7 Milan-San Remos.

“He used to get up in the middle of the night. He couldn’t sleep and he used to go downstairs and look at his bike.
This would be a regular thing with Eddy. He was always thinking about cycling and his bike”

“You might call this the ravings of an old man, but EM reminds me of the guys who cycled before the Great War (WWI). Hard men, men who worked in the fields all day
In an era of hard physical work, people took pride in having free time and they enjoyed the freedom of cycling back them. EM reminds me of those same men”

“Before the crash at Blois, cycling was easy for me. No strain, no strain whatsoever.
After the crash, cycling became more difficult for me. Yes, I still managed to win but it was never as easy as it was before the crash. I lost a lot to that crash.
Of course the death of my pacemaker (Fernand Wambst) was terrible in that accident as well.

“I always flogged myself on the bike. I can’t cycle any other way. Maybe that’s not the way the people who know about the sport think a rider should ride. But I knew no other way.”

Eddy was a special talent in so many ways, but not least in that he never let his enormous gift dull his desire to win. Eddy trained as hard as anyone, even given his amazing gift. If his spirit was in Ullrich, the last six years would be a bit different.

EM was the complete package. Exceptional physical ability combined with an unquenchable need to win. JU's physical abilty might have approached, but he lacked the drive. LA has the drive, but perhaps not the same amazing engine.

I hope we'll see a rider like him again.

By the way, nice post Lim. A good representation of EM (even if you left out some of his entertaining warts).

tcklyde said:
By the way, nice post Lim. A good representation of EM (even if you left out some of his entertaining warts).

Thanks Tcklyde.

.....I made an exception and left out the warts.

it is Eddy's 60th after all !

Did EM really ascend the Tourmalet on a 53x13 gear?????????????????

sopas said:
Did EM really ascend the Tourmalet on a 53x13 gear?????????????????

At the foot of the Tourmalet, EM was seen to be fiddling with his gears.

Another rider - I think it may have been Roger Pingeon - said

"We thought that EM was having a problem with his derailleur. I was beside him and I could see his chain drop to the smallest sprocket. He shifted on to the 53 chainring.
I thought "what the hell is doing ?" as he accelerated away. That was at the foot of the ascent of the Tourmalet. No one saw him again until the end of the stage !"

limerickman said:

Did TdF teams really have 10 riders then? That must have made the numbering system funky - number 20 would be on the same team with number 11 etc. When did that change to 9?

I shook Eddy's hand at a bike shop appearance in 1985. Couldn't afford one of his bikes back then, but got one a few years later.

DiabloScott said:
Did TdF teams really have 10 riders then? That must have made the numbering system funky - number 20 would be on the same team with number 11 etc. When did that change to 9?

I shook Eddy's hand at a bike shop appearance in 1985. Couldn't afford one of his bikes back then, but got one a few years later.

His bikes are expensive (so I am told !).
I've never bought one - nor have I seen any of the distributors here supply them !

Yeah, 1969 TDF had 10 riders per team :

here's Faema's lineup :

51 MERCKX Eddy (Bel)
52 MINTJENS Frans (Bel)
53 REYBROUCK Guido (Bel)
54 SCANDELLI Pietro (Ita)
55 SPRUYT Jozef (Bel)
56 STEVENS Julien (Bel)
57 SWERTS Roger (Bel)
58 VANDENBERGHE Georges (Bel)
59 VANDENBOSSCHE Martin (Bel)
60 VAN SCHIL Victor (Bel)

I don't know when the change over for 10 to 9 member teams took place.
Leave it with me - I'll see if I can find some stuff on it.

limerickman said:
At the foot of the Tourmalet, EM was seen to be fiddling with his gears.

Another rider - I think it may have been Roger Pingeon - said

"We thought that EM was having a problem with his derailleur. I was beside him and I could see his chain drop to the smallest sprocket. He shifted on to the 53 chainring.
I thought "what the hell is doing ?" as he accelerated away. That was at the foot of the ascent of the Tourmalet. No one saw him again until the end of the stage !"
Wow, that's amazing!!!
Limerickman, may I ask how old are you? Did you follow the TdF in the times of EM. I am still 29, and began following the TdF on the days of Pedro Delgado back in the 80's. I really enjoy reading your posts. :)

sopas said:
Wow, that's amazing!!!
Limerickman, may I ask how old are you? Did you follow the TdF in the times of EM. I am still 29, and began following the TdF on the days of Pedro Delgado back in the 80's. I really enjoy reading your posts. :)

Thanks Sopas - I will send you a private message.

sopas said:
Wow, that's amazing!!!
I started reading about the Tour in 1969. Here in America we had very limited material and sometimes I even went to to the University library to see if I could see results in the one French newspaper that they would have. And to a youmg cyclist , Eddy was the man.
His bicycles seem to be very well made and priced accordingly.
Thanks for info Limerickman. Cycling legends always grow as time passes by. But Merckx's career was truly epic.

wolfix said:
I started reading about the Tour in 1969. Here in America we had very limited material and sometimes I even went to to the University library to see if I could see results in the one French newspaper that they would have. And to a youmg cyclist , Eddy was the man.
His bicycles seem to be very well made and priced accordingly.
Thanks for info Limerickman. Cycling legends always grow as time passes by. But Merckx's career was truly epic.

You're very welcome.

I am not old enough to have seen Merckx in his day - I only started following the sport in 1978 as a spotty teenager but I read about those guys who I haven't been lucky enough to have seen.

EM is the man !

When I started riding as a snot nosed 16 year old back in the early 70's, Eddy was the standard that everyone was judged against. Still is, to a lot of us. Brings back memories of hanging out at Merle's Bike Shop in Cocoanut Grove (Miami), reading about Eddy's latest exploits. I was new to cycling in general back then, so I really didn't know I was witnessing a legend. All I knew is that he kept finishing first in just about any race he entered.

We always felt that Thevenet didn't win the Tour, Eddy lost it due to the spectator inflicted injury. Many years later, he commented about the fans on the Tour - "I can understand why Lance tries to get along with the French. When they don't like you, they really don't like you"

He was also a basketball player of some note, as well. Very talented, very driven. They definitely broke the mold with Eddy.

limerickman said:

himself !”
- Felice Gimondi.

of 7 Milan-San Remos.

Great post L'man.

Unquestionably the best rider ever.

Unquestionably the best tour de france rider ever.

Next best is daylight.

mitosis said:
C'mon we all want to know how old you are - is that really your photo? :D

late 30's, Mit : late 30's.
Too young to have seen Merckx race unfortunately

limerickman said:
late 30's, Mit : late 30's.
Too young to have seen Merckx race unfortunately

You write like someone with much more experience. Too much time with your head in the books waiting for that Irish weather to warm up?

mitosis said:
You write like someone with much more experience. Too much time with your head in the books waiting for that Irish weather to warm up?

That pretty much explains it, Mit.

I love reading about the sport and I've got a large collection of cycling information/magazines and books about the sport.
I have a subscription to Cycle Sport and I follow the results on the internet too.

As for the weather here : well June was nice and dry and warm (by Irish standards).
Although I suspect 22c temps are pretty cold by Australian summer
standards !
So you're backing Australia to beat LesBleus ?
Could be a very good game.

limerickman said:
That pretty much explains it, Mit.

I love reading about the sport and I've got a large collection of cycling information/magazines and books about the sport.
I have a subscription to Cycle Sport and I follow the results on the internet too.

As for the weather here : well June was nice and dry and warm (by Irish standards).
Although I suspect 22c temps are pretty cold by Australian summer
standards !
So you're backing Australia to beat LesBleus ?
Could be a very good game.

Yeah, I'd have to back them. Read you eye gouging report on another thread. There's no team in world rugby that doesn't resort to dirty play when their losing but South Africa/France would have to be the worst. Australia, of course, are beyond reproach and behave like perfect gentlemen, unlike their spectators.

My son is talking nothing but rugby at the moment, he's ready to leave and the game doesn't start for 10 hours.

I'm just back from a ride (left at 5:30am) and it was 12 degrees celcius and its now 20 degrees and 10 am. Not bad for the middle of winter. I did ride through a light frost this time last week tho'. I'll be spending time on the wind trainer over the next few weeks so I can watch le tour and be inspired.

Enjoy the big lap of france. I look forward to your inciteful comments.