Edinburgh Waverley to Western General Hospital

Colin Blackburn

Guest
There is an outside chance I might take a bike tomorrow when
I visit the Scottish Health Service Centre in Edinburgh. If
I did this there a sensible route from the station to the
Centre (beside the WGH)? Would I be better starting from
Haymarket?

Colin

On Fri, 07 May 2004 11:05:04 +0100, "Colin Blackburn"
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>There is an outside chance I might take a bike tomorrow
>when I visit the Scottish Health Service Centre in
>Edinburgh. If I did this there a sensible route from the
>station to the Centre (beside the WGH)? Would I be better
>starting from Haymarket?

Unless you want your face stuck in a map, the easiest way is
to get to the point where Queensferry Road meets the
junction of Shandwick Place and Princes St.

This is slightly nearer Haymarket than Waverley, but there's
no great distance in it.

Once there, follow Queensferry Road north, cross Dean
Bridge, follow the road round to the left, and then (~100
yards later) take the right at the traffic lights into
Orchard Brae.

Go down the steep hill, and straight across at the
roundabout, and up the steep hill of Crewe Road South.

HTH.

If I was coming from the West, I'd get off at Haymarket. If
I was coming from the East, I'd get off at Waverley.

Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk
links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk)
http://html.dnsalias.net/gawnsoft/smalltalk

Gawnsoft <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Unless you want your face stuck in a map, the easiest way
> is to get to the point where Queensferry Road meets the
> junction of Shandwick Place and Princes St.

I know what you mean, but it could be a bit of a bugger to
find as they don't meet anymore (the pavement is in the way)
and it's Queensferry Street at that point, not Road.

One way of describing that bit is that if you're coming from
Waverley along Princes St. (coming from Durham, so the east)
then it is at the far end of Princes St. Gardens with a
church on your left. Diagonally to your right you'll see a
big gap in the buildings and a road on the other side of the
pavement. That's the road you want.

> Once there, follow Queensferry Road north, cross
> Dean Bridge,

Take it easy on the Dean Bridge ;-) The bridge is a good
100ft plus tall. A few years back a cyclist took the
approaching corner too fast and stuffed up somehow and ended
up going over the edge. Luckily he was stopped after only a
few feet (he was at the shallow end). It's a very impressive
bridge, it looks better from below than above though.

Graeme

On Fri, 07 May 2004 11:18:06 +0100, Gawnsoft
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Unless you want your face stuck in a map, the easiest way
> is to get to the point where Queensferry Road meets the
> junction of Shandwick Place and Princes St.

Thanks. In the event I decided not to take a bike as I had
no idea what trains I was going to be on. I'll save the
route for next time though, and I did see the bridge from
the bus. How did a cyclist manage to get over that wall?

Colin

On Mon, 10 May 2004 08:17:57 +0100 someone who may be "Colin
Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I did see the bridge from the bus. How did a cyclist manage
>to get over that wall?

He didn't go around the bend just before the bridge and
ended up on the railings just before the bridge proper.

There is a good cycle map of Edinburgh
http://www.spokes.org.uk/ordermap.htm that shows several
routes to make the journey.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK