bike in Edinburgh sought

Graham Bowers

Guest
Hello
Student Daughter in Edinburgh rings up tonight and announces she would
like to buy a bike to save traveling time in the city. I am 300 miles away.
I've used the co-op for stuff mail order and have pointed her in that
direction.
I think there are some Edinburgh based bods in here so this is probably
one for them. Is there anywhere in the city that is good for used bikes
please? She has "undeveloped" mechanical aptitude so would be dependent
on trust and would have to use a shop for service/repairs until I could
teach her the basics.
I think she'll be looking for a 26 inch wheeled machine for comfort but
I've advised her to make sure she rides whatever is offered.
Thoughts??
Cheers
Graham

Try http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/

"The Bike Station is Edinburgh's bicycle recycling and cycling promotion
charity. We keep old and discarded bikes out of landfill, repairing as many
as we can, to put them back on the road. We provide cycle training, bike
maintenance training, as well as refurbished bikes, to promote cycling and
healthy lifestyles across Edinburgh and the Lothians. "

Cheers
Jim J

"Graham Bowers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello
> Student Daughter in Edinburgh rings up tonight and announces she would
> like to buy a bike to save traveling time in the city. I am 300 miles
> away.
> I've used the co-op for stuff mail order and have pointed her in that
> direction.
> I think there are some Edinburgh based bods in here so this is probably
> one for them. Is there anywhere in the city that is good for used bikes
> please? She has "undeveloped" mechanical aptitude so would be dependent on
> trust and would have to use a shop for service/repairs until I could teach
> her the basics.
> I think she'll be looking for a 26 inch wheeled machine for comfort but
> I've advised her to make sure she rides whatever is offered.
> Thoughts??
> Cheers
> Graham

Jim
Thanks, looks perfect. You are just down the road from her - I'll pass
this on.
If she chooses to come and see you I'll ask her to make herself known to
you.
Cheers
Graham.

Graham Bowers wrote:
> Jim
> Thanks, looks perfect. You are just down the road from her - I'll pass
> this on.
> If she chooses to come and see you I'll ask her to make herself known to
> you.
> Cheers
> Graham.
>
> Jim wrote:
>> Try http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/
>>
>> "The Bike Station is Edinburgh's bicycle recycling and cycling
>> promotion charity. We keep old and discarded bikes out of landfill,
>> repairing as many as we can, to put them back on the road. We provide
>> cycle training, bike maintenance training, as well as refurbished
>> bikes, to promote cycling and healthy lifestyles across Edinburgh and
>> the Lothians. "
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jim J
>>
>> "Graham Bowers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Hello
>>> Student Daughter in Edinburgh rings up tonight and announces she
>>> would like to buy a bike to save traveling time in the city. I am 300
>>> miles away.
>>> I've used the co-op for stuff mail order and have pointed her in that
>>> direction.
>>> I think there are some Edinburgh based bods in here so this is
>>> probably one for them. Is there anywhere in the city that is good for
>>> used bikes please? She has "undeveloped" mechanical aptitude so would
>>> be dependent on trust and would have to use a shop for
>>> service/repairs until I could teach her the basics.
>>> I think she'll be looking for a 26 inch wheeled machine for comfort
>>> but I've advised her to make sure she rides whatever is offered.
>>> Thoughts??
>>> Cheers
>>> Graham

Oops, sorry, I top-posted :-((

Graham Bowers <[email protected]> wrote:

>Oops, sorry, I top-posted :-((

From http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm :

"BUT not snipping is a far worse disease. If you read a five screen
article, and you like it, it is the height of selfishness to leave the
whole five screens while you add a single line to say how much you like
it - and it does not matter which end you put it, it is still very
unfair on others and shows a lack of respect for your fellow posters.
You should leave in a paragraph or two, not more, unless you are
specifically referring to bits. Then you leave in the bits to which you
refer, and reply just after them.

So, please snip, that is vital, please do not top post, but that is not
so important."

--
Membrane

in message <[email protected]>, Jim
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Try http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/
>
> "The Bike Station is Edinburgh's bicycle recycling and cycling promotion
> charity. We keep old and discarded bikes out of landfill, repairing as
> many as we can, to put them back on the road. We provide cycle training,
> bike maintenance training, as well as refurbished bikes, to promote
> cycling and healthy lifestyles across Edinburgh and the Lothians. "

Jon Senior, ex of this parish, used to be a volunteer spanner-monkey there;
Don Whybrow of this parish got a very nice Cannondale tourer there.

But, as OP said, there's always the co-op, where she will get excellent
value for money, at least on own-brand stuff, and (if she goes there when
it isn't too busy) usually good advice and good service too.

I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

"Graham Bowers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jim
> Thanks, looks perfect. You are just down the road from her - I'll pass
> this on.
> If she chooses to come and see you I'll ask her to make herself known to
> you.
> Cheers
> Graham.

I don't actually work there (I've never even been in) I just know of the
place as one of my friends took his old bike there as a donation. Having
said that, if your daughter goes in and asks for "Jim" chances are that
someone will say Aye?

Jim J

Jim wrote:

> I don't actually work there (I've never even been in) I just know of the
> place as one of my friends took his old bike there as a donation. Having
> said that, if your daughter goes in and asks for "Jim" chances are that
> someone will say Aye?
>
> Jim J

Ah, on re-reading our post I see you were quoting from their website.
Cheers
Graham

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Jim
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Try http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/
>>

> Don Whybrow of this parish got a very nice Cannondale tourer there.

But that was pure luck that I went in to get a set of cranks for a
project bike and saw it. The price I paid was a lot more than the usual
stock goes for. You never know what they have on offer until you turn up.

I would recommend a visit. Turn up at opening time on the sale days for
the best choice. If she can go with a bike savvy friend it might help
her get the jump on the best options over other punters. The staff are
very helpful, but things can get a bit busy. If she can't find anything
at first, there will be other choices next week.

Also a useful source for spare parts. Think of it as a community parts
bin. I think I paid £5 for the set of cranks above. The chain rings were
shot, but I was after the spider.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"I suppose they are vicious rascals, but it scarcely matters
what they are. I'm after what they know." (Gibson-Sterling, The
Difference Engine)

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Jim
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Try http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/
>>

> Don Whybrow of this parish got a very nice Cannondale tourer there.

But that was pure luck that I went in to get a set of cranks for a
project bike and saw it. The price I paid was a lot more than the usual
stock goes for. You never know what they have on offer until you turn up.

I would recommend a visit. Turn up at opening time on the sale days for
the best choice. If she can go with a bike savvy friend it might help
her get the jump on the best options over other punters. The staff are
very helpful, but things can get a bit busy. If she can't find anything
at first, there will be other choices next week.

Also a useful source for spare parts. Think of it as a community parts
bin. I think I paid £5 for the set of cranks above. The chain rings were
shot, but I was after the spider.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"I suppose they are vicious rascals, but it scarcely matters
what they are. I'm after what they know." (Gibson-Sterling, The
Difference Engine)

Got a lot of bits off wrecked bikes for my 2 wheel recumbent project there-
including a Shimano 7 speed hub- its a great source of functional bits and
good friendly advice.
Tam

Jim wrote:
> Try http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/

They really are helpful. I went in there looking for a nut (for the top
of a headset). Tried lots of bike shops in Edinburgh and despite one or
two giving me nuts away with me none fitted, so just on the offchance
went into the train station (the bike station is in there; where the
rifle range used to be) was surprised that it was so unshop like and was
more like a huge workshop, got a nut from them was asked for something
ludicrous like 20p. Having a serious think about getting my next cycle
from them.

soup wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> Try http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/

<snip>
the train station (the bike station is in there; where the
> rifle range used to be)

Was this a while ago as their website shows them to be somewhere else now?
Graham

Graham Bowers wrote:
> soup wrote:
>> Jim wrote:
>>> Try http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/

> <snip>
> the train station (the bike station is in there; where the
>> rifle range used to be)

> Was this a while ago as their website shows them to be somewhere else now?
> Graham

Indeed, they moved some time ago. I can't remember exactly when. The
photo's on the website still show their old underground workshop. The
new one is a much lighter/brighter place and easier to get to. At least
for me it is.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

People must not do things for fun. We are not here for fun. There is no
reference to fun in any Act of Parliament.

Other than: The Education (Curriculum Minimum Content) Order
(Northern Ireland) 2007 Schedule II Part 2

Graham Bowers wrote:

> Was this a while ago as their website shows them to be somewhere else now?
> Graham

Yup, couple of years