General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Eggless Fried Rice

Started by ebrian · · Last activity · 139 posts · 1,459 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
21 August 2007
Last activity
28 August 2007
Original author
ebrian
Posts
139
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,459
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–120 of 139
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Steve Wertz said:
    Sheldon said:

    I've eaten at every China Town in the US and Canada, never seen tofo
    in fried rice... in fact tofu is not a common ingredient on their
    menus, very few dishes contain tofu and in those few dishes it's
    added in minute quantites.

    Moire [censored]. Stick to subjects that you know only slightly,
    rather than nothing at all. Tofu is extremely common in Chinese
    cuisine. Fried tofu, stuffed tofu, baked tofu, tofu in soups,
    fermented tofu, marinated tofu, etc...

    -sw

    I love fried tofu! I've never had it stuffed, though. What are the usual
    stuffings?

    kili

  2. One time on Usenet said:
    Abe said:

    parts of earlier posts that don't pertain to my reply. I guess I've
    gotten a little over zealous.

    No you haven't. Keep up the good work.

    Except for leaving the attributions alone, I agree. People that don't
    trim make me crazier than usual... ;-)

    --
    Jani in WA

  3. One time on Usenet said:

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:28:42 GMT, [email hidden] (Little

    Malice) said:
    One time on Usenet said:

    Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
    rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.

    I once went to a Chinese restaurant and asked for fried rice with no
    egg, the waitress looked at me like I was from another planet. She
    did write it down though, and 15 minutes later, sure enough it came.
    Instead of scrambled eggs, they put roe, and it was surprisingly
    delicious.

    The eggs are not essential to the dish, just leave them out...

    i guess i make my fried rice differently from most of the posters so
    far. in mine, the eggs are not a garnish or separate ingredient, but
    are mixed with the soy and other spices with a view towards coating
    the rice (and meat and vegetables). it is added last.

    so, little help to you, ebrian, i'm afraid.

    I, OTOH, make the fried rice, then scrape a clear spot in the pan
    to scramble an egg. Once it's cooked, I cut it into little pieces
    with my wooden paddle and mix it into the rest of the rice. Your
    way sounds interesting though...

    --
    Jani in WA

  4. Steve Wertz said:

    Moire [censored]. Stick to subjects that you know only slightly,
    rather than nothing at all. Tofu is extremely common in Chinese
    cuisine. Fried tofu, stuffed tofu, baked tofu, tofu in soups,
    fermented tofu, marinated tofu, etc...

    -sw

    Mmmmmm-mmmmmm, bean curd, yum!
    -Szechuan Style Bean Curd; deep-fried bean curd in hot sauce
    -Mo Po Tofu, diced bean curd with ground pork in a hot sauce
    - Dum Sum, bean curd skin
    - Bean curd soup, with vegetables and bits of chicken and shrimp

    --
    Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

  5. kilikini said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    More [censored]. Stick to subjects that you know only slightly,
    rather than nothing at all. Tofu is extremely common in Chinese
    cuisine. Fried tofu, stuffed tofu, baked tofu, tofu in soups,
    fermented tofu, marinated tofu, etc...

    I love fried tofu! I've never had it stuffed, though. What are the usual
    stuffings?

    Hell if I know. I don't eat that [censored]!

    http://i18.tinypic.com/53jjsyh.jpg (Sichuan style)
    http://i16.tinypic.com/53rxsmw.jpg (Fermented)
    http://i14.tinypic.com/53yw3go.jpg (Fried)

    Sorry. I've never done stuffed tofu. But if I did, I'm sure I'd
    have a picture (and it would probably be stuffed with seafood,
    not vegetables)

    -sw

  6. George said:

    My friend is like that with shrimp. She keeps the benadryl handy and
    enjoys the shrimp.

    I'm allergic to shrimp, but I still eat it. As long as you eat
    it once a week or so, even just a little bit, you develop an
    immunity. If you go a month or more without it, then the
    consequences will be worse.

    So I eat a ot of shrimp - but never at a restaurant. Only in the
    privacy of my own home in case something goes wrong.

    -sw

  7. Little Malice said:
    One time on Usenet said:

    i guess i make my fried rice differently from most of the posters so
    far. in mine, the eggs are not a garnish or separate ingredient, but
    are mixed with the soy and other spices with a view towards coating
    the rice (and meat and vegetables). it is added last.

    so, little help to you, ebrian, i'm afraid.

    I, OTOH, make the fried rice, then scrape a clear spot in the pan
    to scramble an egg. Once it's cooked, I cut it into little pieces
    with my wooden paddle and mix it into the rest of the rice. Your
    way sounds interesting though...

    I make a well in the bottom of the wok (push the rice to the
    sides of the wok) and then pour in the slightly beaten egg.
    Scramble it in there for 15-20 seconds then fold the rice in op
    top of it and continue stir frying. The egg breaks up neatly in
    chunks without getting all over every grain of rice.

    -sw

  8. Steve Wertz said:
    George said:

    My friend is like that with shrimp. She keeps the benadryl handy and
    enjoys the shrimp.

    I'm allergic to shrimp, but I still eat it. As long as you eat
    it once a week or so, even just a little bit, you develop an
    immunity. If you go a month or more without it, then the
    consequences will be worse.

    So I eat a ot of shrimp - but never at a restaurant. Only in the
    privacy of my own home in case something goes wrong.

    -sw

    Hey, do you know if that works with milk? I'm also lactose
    intolerant, but only to large doses of milk. Someone told me that
    their doctor said you can't 'gain' it back, but I've found that when I
    have milk in moderation, I don't have any problems with it, whereas if
    I stop drinking millk for a month and then have some, i get some
    pretty explosive diarrhea..

  9. Peter A said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    You're probably right. My symptoms aren't too bad, I just prefer
    avoiding them if possible. I have at times stupidly eating things I
    knew had egg in them, whether it was some delicious looking dessert,
    or a small piece of cake because I didn't want to be the only guy not
    eating someone's b-day cake. It's never been worse than maybe 2-3
    hours of sharp pain in the chest and itchy throat, usually if I take a
    nap it makes it easier to ride it out.

    You may already know this, but if it's a real allergy and not just a
    "sensitivity" then repeatedly exposing yourself to the antigen (the
    eggs) can continue to make the allergy worse. Then one day you eat some
    egg and croak. Worst case scenario, to be sure, but still....

    --
    Peter Aitken

    Yea I'm aware of that one.. i think we all had this discussion
    before :P

    It's weird because some people say that if we repeated expose
    ourselves to them, we can develop an immunity, whereas others say more
    exposure can kill ya.

  10. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    George said:

    My friend is like that with shrimp. She keeps the benadryl handy and
    enjoys the shrimp.

    I'm allergic to shrimp, but I still eat it. As long as you eat
    it once a week or so, even just a little bit, you develop an
    immunity. If you go a month or more without it, then the
    consequences will be worse.

    Steve, is this along the same idea as "a little of the hair of the dog that
    bit ya"?

    Dee Dee

  11. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Little Malice said:
    One time on Usenet said:

    i guess i make my fried rice differently from most of the posters so
    far. in mine, the eggs are not a garnish or separate ingredient, but
    are mixed with the soy and other spices with a view towards coating
    the rice (and meat and vegetables). it is added last.

    so, little help to you, ebrian, i'm afraid.

    I, OTOH, make the fried rice, then scrape a clear spot in the pan
    to scramble an egg. Once it's cooked, I cut it into little pieces
    with my wooden paddle and mix it into the rest of the rice. Your
    way sounds interesting though...

    I make a well in the bottom of the wok (push the rice to the
    sides of the wok) and then pour in the slightly beaten egg.
    Scramble it in there for 15-20 seconds then fold the rice in op
    top of it and continue stir frying. The egg breaks up neatly in
    chunks without getting all over every grain of rice.

    -sw

    I'll add my procedure to this particular post without snipping:

    In an large electric fry pan, I fry the egg enough to push it to the side,
    then I cook/fry at the same time, but keeping them in their own spaces, any
    and all additions I wish add. Then, I take them all out onto a oval flat
    dish. Then I put the rice in the fry pan with how ever much sesame oil and
    perhaps a little soy sauce, and cook/fry it to my liking; then I add all the
    ingredients back to the rice and finish it up. When I plate it, I either
    plate it onto the oval flat dish, or leave it in the frypan on low in case
    anyone wants more helpings.
    Dee Dee

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    ebrian said:

    It's weird because some people say that if we repeated expose
    ourselves to them, we can develop an immunity, whereas others say more
    exposure can kill ya.

    I don't understand this either. I took shots every week for many years
    to develop an immunity to certain allergies. My BIL was told that after
    he suffered a bee sting, that the next one could kill him. Sure enough,
    it did, despite pills and an epipen.

  13. ebrian said:
    Steve Wertz said:
    George said:

    My friend is like that with shrimp. She keeps the benadryl handy and
    enjoys the shrimp.

    I'm allergic to shrimp, but I still eat it. As long as you eat
    it once a week or so, even just a little bit, you develop an
    immunity. If you go a month or more without it, then the
    consequences will be worse.

    So I eat a ot of shrimp - but never at a restaurant. Only in the
    privacy of my own home in case something goes wrong.

    -sw

    Hey, do you know if that works with milk? I'm also lactose
    intolerant, but only to large doses of milk. Someone told me that
    their doctor said you can't 'gain' it back, but I've found that when I
    have milk in moderation, I don't have any problems with it, whereas if
    I stop drinking millk for a month and then have some, i get some
    pretty explosive diarrhea..

    Do we have the same stomachs? I'm lactose intolerant, too. Still doesn't
    prevent me from eating pizza although I may hate myself afterwards.

    kili

  14. kilikini said:
    ebrian said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:45:12 -0400, George wrote:
    > My friend is like that with shrimp. She keeps the benadryl handy and
    > enjoys the shrimp.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm allergic to shrimp, but I still eat it. As long as you eat
    it once a week or so, even just a little bit, you develop an
    immunity. If you go a month or more without it, then the
    consequences will be worse.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So I eat a ot of shrimp - but never at a restaurant. Only in the
    privacy of my own home in case something goes wrong.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    -sw

    Quoted message said:

    Hey, do you know if that works with milk? I'm also lactose
    intolerant, but only to large doses of milk. Someone told me that
    their doctor said you can't 'gain' it back, but I've found that when I
    have milk in moderation, I don't have any problems with it, whereas if
    I stop drinking millk for a month and then have some, i get some
    pretty explosive diarrhea..

    Do we have the same stomachs? I'm lactose intolerant, too. Still doesn't
    prevent me from eating pizza although I may hate myself afterwards.

    kili- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    Haha.. no.. you can't eat hardboiled eggs remember? I can. So na-na-
    na-na-boo-boo.. 🙂

  15. kilikini said:
    ebrian said:
    Steve Wertz said:

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:45:12 -0400, George wrote:
    > My friend is like that with shrimp. She keeps the benadryl handy and
    > enjoys the shrimp.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm allergic to shrimp, but I still eat it. As long as you eat
    it once a week or so, even just a little bit, you develop an
    immunity. If you go a month or more without it, then the
    consequences will be worse.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So I eat a ot of shrimp - but never at a restaurant. Only in the
    privacy of my own home in case something goes wrong.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    -sw

    Quoted message said:

    Hey, do you know if that works with milk? I'm also lactose
    intolerant, but only to large doses of milk. Someone told me that
    their doctor said you can't 'gain' it back, but I've found that when I
    have milk in moderation, I don't have any problems with it, whereas if
    I stop drinking millk for a month and then have some, i get some
    pretty explosive diarrhea..

    Do we have the same stomachs? I'm lactose intolerant, too. Still doesn't
    prevent me from eating pizza although I may hate myself afterwards.

    Pizza does not contain lactose.

    Quoted message said:


    kili

    --Bryan

  16. kilikini said:
    Steve Wertz said:
    Sheldon said:

    I've eaten at every China Town in the US and Canada, never seen tofo
    in fried rice... in fact tofu is not a common ingredient on their
    menus, very few dishes contain tofu and in those few dishes it's
    added in minute quantites.


    Moire [censored]. Stick to subjects that you know only slightly,
    rather than nothing at all. Tofu is extremely common in Chinese
    cuisine. Fried tofu, stuffed tofu, baked tofu, tofu in soups,
    fermented tofu, marinated tofu, etc...

    -sw

    I love fried tofu! I've never had it stuffed, though. What are the usual
    stuffings?

    kili


    Google "Inari sushi" for Japanese style. Typically various vegetables
    are used.

  17. Steve Wertz said:
    George said:

    My friend is like that with shrimp. She keeps the benadryl handy and
    enjoys the shrimp.

    I'm allergic to shrimp, but I still eat it. As long as you eat
    it once a week or so, even just a little bit, you develop an
    immunity. If you go a month or more without it, then the
    consequences will be worse.

    My friend has a totally variable reaction. Sometimes there is barely a
    reaction and sometimes quite intense.

    Quoted message said:

    So I eat a ot of shrimp - but never at a restaurant. Only in the
    privacy of my own home in case something goes wrong.

    -sw

  18. Bobo Bonobo? said:
    kilikini said:

    I'm lactose intolerant, too. Still doesn't
    prevent me from eating pizza although I may hate myself afterwards.

    Pizza does not contain lactose.

    She fake *cheese* [censored] you eat...

    Sheldon Mozz-Parm

  19. Peter A said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:
    Serene said:

    Mustard on a hamburger's fine. Mayo is mandatory. Ketchup is an
    abomination.

    Serene


    Agreeing with you 100%, and wishing I had cheeseburgers more often.

    Becca

    Next I'll hear that you put ketchup on hot dogs <g>.

    Blech! Although I may like it, if I tried it.

    Becca

  20. Becca wrote on Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:41:45 -0500:

    B> Peter A wrote:
    ??>> In article <[email hidden]>,
    ??>> [email hidden] says...
    ??>>> Serene wrote:
    ??>>>
    ??>>>> Mustard on a hamburger's fine. Mayo is mandatory.
    ??>>>> Ketchup is an abomination.
    ??>>>>
    ??>>>> Serene
    ??>>> Agreeing with you 100%, and wishing I had cheeseburgers
    ??>>> more often.
    ??>>>
    ??>>> Becca
    ??>>>
    ??>> Next I'll hear that you put ketchup on hot dogs <g>.

    B> Blech! Although I may like it, if I tried it.

    I've tried a lot of things and I quite like ketchup on a
    burger; sometimes both it and mustard together but *never* mayo!
    I also like tomato and a thin slice of onion tho' I don't use
    ketchup if I have a sliced tomato. Steak sauce is not bad
    either!

    With dogs, I go the same way, ketchup, mustard, steak sauce,
    chopped onion etc. so there! Mustard and chopped onion is very
    good :-) One of my favorites, when other things are not
    available, is one hotdog with mustard and another with ketchup.
    The only thing I don't like is sweet pickle relish.

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.