Elastic Bandage And Cycling

pojiullu9l

May 1, 2015
Hello!

I've been at the doctor's and he told me to wrap my knees with elastic bandage in everyday life. I asked him about sports and he told me that there are also bandages for sports. But... (this came to my mind just recently)... What about cycling? Do you need this stuff at all when cycling?

If the issue is seeking, the elastic bandage will help prevent that. If the issue is injury and weakness, you probably don't need it since pedaling is non-impact and you don't have any side to side movement like you would have in walking around where you may stress the knee stepping to the side. I would ask more questions about this and get a professional opinion though. It sounds like you might want to consider physical therapy though, your doctor should know what the best options are for your situation.

Reactions: pojiullu9l
The issue is injury and weakness (arthritis, primary stage, still can do sports but must be careful, so was obliged to bandage knees, use ointment, do some excercises). Also I've found some info on the web what to cycling using bandage (it's possible). Hence, going to visit him once more.

By the way, what do you mean by seeking? I couldn't find in dictionaries its proper meaning as used here. You just meant using the bandage as a precaution?

Perhaps she meant swelling. Wrapping up a swollen knee with make it feel more stable.

I do not recommend cycling with knee wraps (ACE bandages) on. They tend to bunch up behind the knee and really dig into the skin.

maydog said:
Perhaps she meant swelling. Wrapping up a swollen knee with make it feel more stable.

I do not recommend cycling with knee wraps (ACE bandages) on. They tend to bunch up behind the knee and really dig into the skin.
Yes you are correct. Ace bandages will bunch up and after awhile it will dig into you skin and hurt. You won't feel it at first cause your blood is pumping and your in the middle of your workout, but it will get you when its time to take it off.

Ace bandages restrict circulation and this has been an ongoing debate for years like whether a back brace actually helps or not. Restricting circulation is not a good thing.

adfnio said:
If this is a constant thing, shouldn't yo ube looking at a knee brace or a sleeve of som sorts?
I saw once that sort of sleeve, like they say, for cycling. But it was the site of its manufacturer. I don't really trust evetything what's said on the web about that kind of stuff. However, why would they actually lie, eh? Anyway, I was said just to wear it in everyday life, and any source I've looked trhough says that "Restricting circulation is not a good thing."

Thank you all for replying.

There are compression sleeves available for knees and legs made out a material that doesn't bunch up much. The trick is getting the right size. Compression socks can help with your ankles also.

They have a lot of products on the market and this is just one of them out there available now.

4-Colors-New-brand-CheJi-Brand-Cycling-Knee-Warmers-Bike-Legwarmers-Racing-Bicycle-Knee-Sleeve-For.jpg_350x350.jpg

Those look so much more comfortable thes the old school knee braces that we use to use back in the 90s.

51047tLiatL._AA160_.jpg

adfnio said:
Those look so much more comfortable thes the old school knee braces that we use to use back in the 90s.

51047tLiatL._AA160_.jpg
I remember those. Let me see if I can find some photos of knee braces with metal in them to support your knee.

powerform_hinged_knee_brace-bg.jpg