UK and Europe · Public discussion

electric bikes

Started by Pete · · Last activity · 163 posts · 7,847 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
15 May 2006
Last activity
14 March 2013
Original author
Pete
Posts
163
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
7,847
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 121–140 of 163
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Paul Murphy said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    That would depend if the version sold here has a maximum 200 Watt nominal
    power output and shuts its power assist off above 15 mph.

    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't say I was going at least 15 mph everywhere no - there were bits
    where I was faster (on the level/down hill) and slower (going up the hill
    towards the end after an hour of cycling). Remember you only have about 200
    Watts to play with subject to how much effort you put on the pedals (at
    least on my type of bike).

    200W is more than a third of the output of a Tour de France rider, so on
    an electric bike with an efficient design, might well double the climbing
    ability of a more typical cyclist. At least until the battery runs out.

    http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=11857&sidebar=725&category=tdf2005_index
    http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,5976,s1-12288-527,00.html

  2. Simon Brooke said:


    Interesting. So despite pedalling furiously, none of the electric assist
    bikes - not even the fastest - could achieve the speed of an average
    amateur club cyclist on a conventional bike.

    Without knowing whether any of the riders were average amateur club cyclists,
    that's completely meaningless. Most commuting cyclists do less than 15mph.

  3. Simon Brooke said:


    Interesting. So despite pedalling furiously, none of the electric
    assist bikes - not even the fastest - could achieve the speed of an
    average amateur club cyclist on a conventional bike.

    I bet Alan Holmes could, even with the electric motor switched off and
    with fully loaded panniers ;-)

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  4. In article said:
    Simon Brooke said:


    Interesting. So despite pedalling furiously, none of the electric assist
    bikes - not even the fastest - could achieve the speed of an average
    amateur club cyclist on a conventional bike.

    Without knowing whether any of the riders were average amateur club cyclists,
    that's completely meaningless. Most commuting cyclists do less than 15mph.

    P.S. There are some photos here: http://egopt.co.uk/eco2006/

    I'm reminded of your contention that since you personally would be caused
    no inconvenience by a ban on urban 4x4s, there could be no possible reason
    not to ban everyone else using them, or wafflycat's argument that since she
    wore a helmet without discomfort, there was no reason to oppose a helmet law.

  5. I've joined this thread very late on but here goes. I bought a Cyclone
    electric bike this time last year for a cost of £350. Since then I
    have covered 7,500 miles on it on the original battery and a spare
    (both still work).

    I live near Cambridge so the terrain is flat. My commute is just over
    20 miles a day and I can happily pedal between 18-20mph without
    breaking into a soaking sweat. As we don't have shower facilities at
    work, this was my main reason for going electric. The bike can assist
    me more on the way into work so I get there relatively fresh and then I
    can pedal harder on the way home to make up for it.

    So as you can see, there are instances when an electric bike can be
    useful !

  6. "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Braggins
    ([email hidden]'😉 wrote:

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2006/05/13/mfcycle13.xml&sSheet=/motoring/2006/05/13/ixmot.html

    Quoted message said:

    has some numbers. The Swizzbee and an eZee Torq belonging to the editor
    of A to B magazine both did 26 laps of 3/4 miles in 60 minutes, so
    over 19 miles per hour average.

    Dave Henshaw, the A to B editor, was quoted as saying his success was
    due to "pedalling furiously when necessary and anticipating when you
    could use maximum power".

    It doesn't say anywhere that the eZee torque "belonged" to David - as a
    magazine editor he will have contacts with spare bikes etc. His family
    definitely does have a Giant Twist/Lafree Comfort however and its regularly
    commented on in the magazine.

    Quoted message said:

    Interesting. So despite pedalling furiously, none of the electric assist
    bikes - not even the fastest - could achieve the speed of an average
    amateur club cyclist on a conventional bike.

    By conventional bike if you mean the sort that's ideally suitable for towing
    a trailer or having panniers slung on the back and that usually comes with
    mudguards, lights dynamos and other extremely heavy equipment, even then
    you're still incorrect. The numbers mentioned above aren't that accurate and
    the figure I heard was about 23 miles per hour average (from the announcer
    at the prize giving) but either way whether it was 19 or 23 miles par hour,
    I cant see how that falls out of the "Typical speeds in an amateur club time
    trial are between 18 and 25 miles per hour. Professionals go faster" that
    you wrote earlier in this thread. Are you now saying that this doesn't apply
    anymore and that these sorts of riders actually go faster? Where are the
    goal posts moved to now?

    Quoted message said:

    Can't say I'm surprised. I bet they worked harder, too!

    Cant say I covered the same circuit 20 times on a conventional bike to
    compare (nor that I'd really be interested in doing so, other than perhaps
    due to curiosity). I dare say you haven't covered the circuit on either mode
    of transport..... although there was a person on a lead acid battery
    equipped Powabyke that I lapped about 4 times, were you there? I think the
    speed range I've pulled up from your earlier post, combined with the fact
    these machines are usually more general purpose in design and intent than
    the sorts of machines designed purely for speed that many time triallists
    would show up on, I believe shows that the electrics did very well.

    Paul

  7. "Alan Braggins" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Paul Murphy said:
    Quoted message said:

    >
    > That would depend if the version sold here has a maximum 200 Watt
    > nominal
    > power output and shuts its power assist off above 15 mph.

    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't say I was going at least 15 mph everywhere no - there were bits
    where I was faster (on the level/down hill) and slower (going up the hill
    towards the end after an hour of cycling). Remember you only have about
    200
    Watts to play with subject to how much effort you put on the pedals (at
    least on my type of bike).

    200W is more than a third of the output of a Tour de France rider, so on
    an electric bike with an efficient design, might well double the climbing
    ability of a more typical cyclist. At least until the battery runs out.

    http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=11857&sidebar=725&category=tdf2005_index
    http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,5976,s1-12288-527,00.html


    There is a torque sensor on my bike so whether the full 200 Watts was being
    provided I don't know, especially given that I was getting a bit tired
    towards the end.

    Paul

  8. Alan Braggins said:
    Paul Murphy said:
    Quoted message said:

    >
    > That would depend if the version sold here has a maximum 200 Watt
    > nominal power output and shuts its power assist off above 15 mph.

    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't say I was going at least 15 mph everywhere no - there
    were bits where I was faster (on the level/down hill) and slower
    (going up the hill towards the end after an hour of cycling).
    Remember you only have about 200 Watts to play with subject to how
    much effort you put on the pedals (at least on my type of bike).

    200W is more than a third of the output of a Tour de France rider, so
    on an electric bike with an efficient design, might well double the
    climbing ability of a more typical cyclist. At least until the
    battery runs out.

    http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=11857&sidebar=725&category=tdf2005_index
    http://www.bicycling.com/tourdefrance/experts/columns/0,5976,s1-12288-527,00.html

    It's interesting that in this whole debate no one's brought up the actual
    capacity and weight of the batteries in these bikes. My laptop's got a 66WHr
    battery that weighs 4-500g. So it would power one of these bikes flat out
    for 20 minutes. Assuming I'm putting in a reasonably relaxed 100W, I
    guesstimate that this would give me a range of about 20 miles at around 15
    mph on the terrain I get round here.

    It sounds like it's a horse that might fit some people's courses. For
    myself, I like the simplicity of just riding along.
    --
    Ambrose

  9. in message <[email hidden]>, Paul

    Murphy (') said:

    "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Braggins
    ([email hidden]'😉 wrote:


    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2006/05/13/mfcycle13.xml&sSheet=/motoring/2006/05/13/ixmot.html

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    has some numbers. The Swizzbee and an eZee Torq belonging to the
    editor of A to B magazine both did 26 laps of 3/4 miles in 60
    minutes, so over 19 miles per hour average.

    Dave Henshaw, the A to B editor, was quoted as saying his success was
    due to "pedalling furiously when necessary and anticipating when you
    could use maximum power".

    Quoted message said:

    Interesting. So despite pedalling furiously, none of the electric
    assist bikes - not even the fastest - could achieve the speed of an
    average amateur club cyclist on a conventional bike.

    By conventional bike if you mean the sort that's ideally suitable for
    towing a trailer or having panniers slung on the back and that usually
    comes with mudguards, lights dynamos and other extremely heavy
    equipment, even then you're still incorrect. The numbers mentioned
    above aren't that accurate and the figure I heard was about 23 miles
    per hour average (from the announcer at the prize giving) but either
    way whether it was 19 or 23 miles par hour, I cant see how that falls
    out of the "Typical speeds in an amateur club time trial are between 18
    and 25 miles per hour. Professionals go faster" that you wrote earlier
    in this thread. Are you now saying that this doesn't apply anymore and
    that these sorts of riders actually go faster? Where are the goal posts
    moved to now?

    26 * 0.75 = 19.5 miles; in 60 minutes means 19.5 miles per hour. If he
    had averaged 23 miles per hour he would have completed 31 laps in 60
    minutes or 26 laps in 50 minutes. All your figures.

    In a range between 18 and 25, where would you /expect/ the average to
    fall? At a guess?

    No movement of the goalposts.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; An enamorata is for life, not just for weekends.

  10. "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    It's interesting that in this whole debate no one's brought up the actual
    capacity and weight of the batteries in these bikes. My laptop's got a
    66WHr battery that weighs 4-500g. So it would power one of these bikes
    flat out for 20 minutes. Assuming I'm putting in a reasonably relaxed
    100W, I guesstimate that this would give me a range of about 20 miles at
    around 15 mph on the terrain I get round here.

    What is it that you would like brought up about them. The average electric
    bike battery will be far bigger and hold much more capacity that a laptop
    battery. My bike battery weights about 8 lbs (according to our ancient
    bathroom scales) thats about 3.7 kg or so. It's rated at 24 Volts and 6.5
    AHr which equates to 156 Watt Hours. There are newer Ni MH high capacity
    versions avail with the same weight which offer 9 AHr - ie 216 Watt Hrs but
    Li Ion (let alone Lithium Ion Polymer which is lighter again) isn't avail
    yet for Twist. I get about 18 ~ 20 Miles on flat ground but often much less
    if its very hilly and I have loaded panniers etc.Although the motor will
    have a nominal output of 200 Watts of power, it will take in more than this
    from the supply. The power, control and regulation circuitry wont be 100 %
    efficient and some energy will be lost as heat (something you haven't
    considered in your above calculations).

    Quoted message said:


    It sounds like it's a horse that might fit some people's courses. For
    myself, I like the simplicity of just riding along.

    I do understand where you're coming from. Many years ago I had the
    opportunity to learn to fly powered aircraft and get my PPL cheaply, instead
    I opted for the gliding route because its a more seat of the pants and pure
    form of flying. I can certainly understand some some people choosing the
    powered aircraft route however.Its interesting that many pilots of large
    commercial aircraft, fly gliders in their pastimes as a sporting interest.

    Paul

  11. "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Paul

    Murphy (') said:

    "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, Alan Braggins
    ([email hidden]'😉 wrote:


    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2006/05/13/mfcycle13.xml&sSheet=/motoring/2006/05/13/ixmot.html

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > has some numbers. The Swizzbee and an eZee Torq belonging to the
    > editor of A to B magazine both did 26 laps of 3/4 miles in 60
    > minutes, so over 19 miles per hour average.
    >
    > Dave Henshaw, the A to B editor, was quoted as saying his success was
    > due to "pedalling furiously when necessary and anticipating when you
    > could use maximum power".

    Quoted message said:

    Interesting. So despite pedalling furiously, none of the electric
    assist bikes - not even the fastest - could achieve the speed of an
    average amateur club cyclist on a conventional bike.

    By conventional bike if you mean the sort that's ideally suitable for
    towing a trailer or having panniers slung on the back and that usually
    comes with mudguards, lights dynamos and other extremely heavy
    equipment, even then you're still incorrect. The numbers mentioned
    above aren't that accurate and the figure I heard was about 23 miles
    per hour average (from the announcer at the prize giving) but either
    way whether it was 19 or 23 miles par hour, I cant see how that falls
    out of the "Typical speeds in an amateur club time trial are between 18
    and 25 miles per hour. Professionals go faster" that you wrote earlier
    in this thread. Are you now saying that this doesn't apply anymore and
    that these sorts of riders actually go faster? Where are the goal posts
    moved to now?

    26 * 0.75 = 19.5 miles; in 60 minutes means 19.5 miles per hour. If he
    had averaged 23 miles per hour he would have completed 31 laps in 60
    minutes or 26 laps in 50 minutes. All your figures.

    No they're not - the circuit was more than 0.75 miles (and closer to a mile)
    long, just as with the average speed, the newspaper printed incorrect info
    here too..

    Quoted message said:


    In a range between 18 and 25, where would you /expect/ the average to
    fall? At a guess?

    Assuming the distribution follows a bell curve (which is by no means the
    actual case as people tend to "pack"😉 in the middle - this would eqate to
    (18 + 25) x 0.5 = 21.5 mph. Its fair enough that you may not have seen my
    post of 11.15 today where I mentioned the winners average speed was about 23
    mph (it was actually 23 point something). I trust that you are now willing
    to concede the winner (and probably quite a few others as the leaders were
    closely spaced) did indeed travel faster than your statistically average
    time triallist cyclist?

    Quoted message said:


    No movement of the goalposts.

    I'll make sure of that no matter how hard anyone tries.

    Paul

  12. "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    You have to be /joking/. I, fifty and with chronic circulation problems,
    could beat any legal electric bike on any course, without difficulty.
    People in my club can do time trials at 10Km/h faster than me. Time
    trialling, my speed rarely drops down below 25Km/h, so there is almost
    no time that the motor could legally assist - not even up the hills. All
    the time it isn't assisting, it's just extra weight and extra drag.
    You'd have to be an exceptionally poor cyclist to do as badly on a good
    quality normal bike as you would on a 'yellow dream'.

    --

    I am impressed with your speed. When I cycle to work it takes me a good hour
    to do the 11.5 miles (5-10 mins less coming back). I am not sure whether
    this is a problem with my fitness, or whether it is because I ride a
    mountain bike which is probably not designed for extended road riding.

    I would be interested in testing out an electric bike, and also a road bike
    of comparable cost just to see which one is faster and easier. I think my
    commute would be an ideal test due to the undulations. If I had 1000 pounds
    to spend on a new bike it is not at all obvious from reading the comments
    here which option would be the quickest over the distance.

    Adam

  13. "Adam Lea" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I would be interested in testing out an electric bike, and also a road
    bike of comparable cost just to see which one is faster and easier.

    If you contact your favourite local bike shop they may be able to assist in
    terms of providing a test ride on each. I remember reading something about a
    council initiative to loan or rent electric bikes so if you have trouble
    finding an lbs with electric bikes, maybe your council can help.

    Quoted message said:

    I think my commute would be an ideal test due to the undulations.

    Certainly "undulations" will be smoothened out by a good electric bike but
    the best advice I can give you is to go for some test rides to see for
    yourself.

    Quoted message said:

    If I had 1000 pounds to spend on a new bike it is not at all obvious from
    reading the comments here which option would be the quickest over the
    distance.

    The answer is likely it would depend on your riding style and given theres
    not just one £1000 electric bike or conventional bike to choose from, the
    actual bike you would choose.

    AtoB Magazine usually has lots of adverts in the back outlining dealers and
    their website http://www.atob.org.uk/ will help with electric bike info, the
    rest is up to you to try out for yourself.

    Paul

  14. Adam Lea said:

    I am impressed with your speed. When I cycle to work it takes me a good hour
    to do the 11.5 miles (5-10 mins less coming back). I am not sure whether
    this is a problem with my fitness, or whether it is because I ride a
    mountain bike which is probably not designed for extended road riding.

    Mountain bikes are not primarily designed for *fast* road riding but
    can be adapted to be comfortable and reasonably quick road vehicles. By
    the sound of it you have a lumpy commute (hence the faster time coming
    back.)

    Two quick questions: WHat tyres are you using? If knobbly ones, swap
    them for some high pressure slicks (eg. specialised fat boy, Nokian
    AWS, Schwalbe CityJet) and pump them up hard, at least 80psi. That
    *will* take 5-10 mins off your commute. Other things that may help are
    better technique (learning to spin the pedals), and putting the load on
    the bike rather than on you.

    MTB tend to be a bit heavier than dedicated road bikes, so if it is a
    hilly ride, trying to lose weight of the bike will also help. FWIW I
    used to do a 16 mile commute on definitely non-flat terrain in about an
    hour.

    Quoted message said:

    I would be interested in testing out an electric bike, and also a road bike
    of comparable cost just to see which one is faster and easier. I think my
    commute would be an ideal test due to the undulations. If I had 1000 pounds
    to spend on a new bike it is not at all obvious from reading the comments
    here which option would be the quickest over the distance.

    Overall for a person of average fitness[*] I'd go with the lightweight
    road bike - for those of a less fit disposition there is a strong case
    for some sort of electric assist in certain cases.

    ...d

    [*] By fitness I mean someone who when CV fit could easily do that
    distance and more. I'd expect EA bikes to be a good choice for those
    without even the potential to be able to be fit enough for the whole
    journey.

  15. In article said:

    It's interesting that in this whole debate no one's brought up the actual
    capacity and weight of the batteries in these bikes. My laptop's got a 66WHr
    battery that weighs 4-500g. So it would power one of these bikes flat out
    for 20 minutes.

    Only if it still has the same capacity when you draw much more current
    than the laptop does, which is unlikely. Generally the higher the current,
    the more the internal resistance of the battery wastes in heat. If you
    look back at the thread there are some numbers for batteries, or at least
    URLs of suppliers pages about batteries.

  16. in message <[email hidden]>, Adam Lea

    (') said:


    "Simon Brooke" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    You have to be /joking/. I, fifty and with chronic circulation
    problems, could beat any legal electric bike on any course, without
    difficulty. People in my club can do time trials at 10Km/h faster than
    me. Time trialling, my speed rarely drops down below 25Km/h, so there
    is almost no time that the motor could legally assist - not even up
    the hills. All the time it isn't assisting, it's just extra weight and
    extra drag. You'd have to be an exceptionally poor cyclist to do as
    badly on a good quality normal bike as you would on a 'yellow dream'.

    I am impressed with your speed. When I cycle to work it takes me a good
    hour to do the 11.5 miles (5-10 mins less coming back). I am not sure
    whether this is a problem with my fitness, or whether it is because I
    ride a mountain bike which is probably not designed for extended road
    riding.

    I would be interested in testing out an electric bike, and also a road
    bike of comparable cost just to see which one is faster and easier. I
    think my commute would be an ideal test due to the undulations. If I
    had 1000 pounds to spend on a new bike it is not at all obvious from
    reading the comments here which option would be the quickest over the
    distance.

    Try it. I'm sure you'll find a bike shop which would allow you to test
    ride both under similar conditions. If you do, please post your
    conclusions; I'm sure they would be very interesting.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; So, before proceeding with definitive screwing, choose the
    ;; position most congenital.
    -- instructions for fitting bicycle handlebars

  17. David Martin said:
    Adam Lea said:

    I am impressed with your speed. When I cycle to work it takes me a good hour
    to do the 11.5 miles (5-10 mins less coming back). I am not sure whether
    this is a problem with my fitness, or whether it is because I ride a
    mountain bike which is probably not designed for extended road riding.

    Mountain bikes are not primarily designed for *fast* road riding but
    can be adapted to be comfortable and reasonably quick road vehicles.

    FSVO "reasonably quick". On a regular commute of over 10 miles,
    I wouldn't use a mountainbike by choice, no matter how well-adapted
    to the tarmac.

    A tourer will make the ride feel much shorter, and be measurably
    quicker, with no downside. A fast roadie bike will do more (provided
    the route doesn't take you offroad), and will encourage the body to
    put in more effort too, but loses you carrying capability and will
    be foul in the wet.

    --
    not me guv

  18. "David Martin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Adam Lea wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would be interested in testing out an electric bike, and also a road
    bike
    of comparable cost just to see which one is faster and easier. I think my
    commute would be an ideal test due to the undulations. If I had 1000
    pounds
    to spend on a new bike it is not at all obvious from reading the comments
    here which option would be the quickest over the distance.

    Overall for a person of average fitness[*] I'd go with the lightweight
    road bike - for those of a less fit disposition there is a strong case
    for some sort of electric assist in certain cases.

    Adam's question related to which would be the quickest (and easiest) bike
    for an 11.5 mile each way commute. The fitmess myth is one I've heard
    propogated by more than one bike shop, presumably in order to try and sell
    the conventional bikes they stocked. After all who wants to buy an electric
    bike if they've been told they're best for people of below average fitness.
    Provided the cyclist has sufficient fitness to actually ride a cycle, which
    Adam clearly has, then the main advantage gained by increased fitness is the
    potential for increased speed in both cases. Its simply incorrect to say
    people of average fitness will go faster on a conventional £1000 bike than
    an electric bike costing the same amount as it depends to much on factors
    such as how much the cyclist wants to push themselves or the level of
    comfort expected as well as all the requirements the cyclist expects from
    the bike.

    In addition to my earlier information on resources and encouraging Adam to
    try out a multitude of both types to see which suits his needs best, I found
    this recent Telegraph page
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2006/05/20/mnelec20.xml
    which outlines a number of companies offering electric bike rental, should
    Adam want to go down that path.

    Quoted message said:

    ..d

    [*] By fitness I mean someone who when CV fit could easily do that
    distance and more. I'd expect EA bikes to be a good choice for those
    without even the potential to be able to be fit enough for the whole
    journey.

    Thats far from the only circumstances where EA bikes would be a good choice.
    You may beleive the fitness myth but I believe its wrong to propogate it.
    Adam should try out the options and see for himself.

    Paul

  19. Paul Murphy said:

    "David Martin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Adam Lea wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I would be interested in testing out an electric bike, and also a road
    bike
    of comparable cost just to see which one is faster and easier. I think my
    commute would be an ideal test due to the undulations. If I had 1000
    pounds
    to spend on a new bike it is not at all obvious from reading the comments
    here which option would be the quickest over the distance.

    Overall for a person of average fitness[*] I'd go with the lightweight
    road bike - for those of a less fit disposition there is a strong case
    for some sort of electric assist in certain cases.

    Adam's question related to which would be the quickest (and easiest) bike
    for an 11.5 mile each way commute. The fitmess myth is one I've heard
    propogated by more than one bike shop, presumably in order to try and sell
    the conventional bikes they stocked.

    So if his average speed goes over the limit of the electric bike? How
    often would he be in need of the electric assist, and how much
    time/money would it save him overall? I have done a commute of more
    than ten miles (on my current roadified MTB ;-) and it was no great
    hardship after the first few weeks. Then again I am not the average man
    and this route was not averagely flat.

    Quoted message said:

    In addition to my earlier information on resources and encouraging Adam to
    try out a multitude of both types to see which suits his needs best, I found
    this recent Telegraph page
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2006/05/20/mnelec20.xml
    which outlines a number of companies offering electric bike rental, should
    Adam want to go down that path.

    The latest Cycle also has a review of electric assist.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ..d

    [*] By fitness I mean someone who when CV fit could easily do that
    distance and more. I'd expect EA bikes to be a good choice for those
    without even the potential to be able to be fit enough for the whole
    journey.

    Thats far from the only circumstances where EA bikes would be a good choice.
    You may beleive the fitness myth but I believe its wrong to propogate it.
    Adam should try out the options and see for himself.

    What myth? Someone of average fitness[1] on the flat will happily
    cruise at the limit of an electric bikes capability. I'd recommend he
    makes the cheap and easy changes first (upgrades the tyres/position on
    the existing bike, improves technique) and then after a month or so
    decide whether some form of assist may be required.

    ...d

    [1] in terms of potential, not current CV ability. Give it a few weeks
    of regular cycling and then see..

  20. in message <[email hidden]>, Paul

    Murphy (') said:

    Its simply incorrect to say
    people of average fitness will go faster on a conventional £1000 bike
    than an electric bike costing the same amount as it depends to much on
    factors such as how much the cyclist wants to push themselves or the
    level of comfort expected as well as all the requirements the cyclist
    expects from the bike.

    You believe it's incorrect. This thread would not exist if it weren't for
    the fact that you believe it's incorrect. I've no wish to cast doubt on
    the sincerity of that belief. But the fact that it is your opinion does
    not make it a fact.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; my other religion is Emacs

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.