General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Electric fences and children

Started by Gordon Taylor · · Last activity · 20 posts · 1,739 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 January 2004
Last activity
16 January 2004
Original author
Gordon Taylor
Posts
20
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,739
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 20
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My wife the three children and I were out walking on Saturday (as we are most Saturdays). On one
    part of the walk (on a public foot path) we went through a field of pigs. As we entered the field
    the pigs started jostling us (making a bid for freedom) and my eldest daughter (3 yrs) touched the
    fence. My wife was holding her hand and was given a (relatively) large electric shock. I presume
    that my daughter also received the shock as it passed through her.

    The electric bit of the fence was not the normal fleck of wire in a sort of string but a thick solid
    length of wire (approx. 1mm diameter). There was no indication that it was electrified although
    obviously closer inspection would have reveiled that it was insulated as it went under the stile
    (but was not insulated by the gate that we exited the field (still on the footpath)).

    I did not touch the fence (I was carrying our 6 month old at the time). However, my wife and I are
    more than used to the normal shock that one gets from an electric fence. My wife felt that this was
    very much greater than this level of shock and her reaction clearly displayed this!

    My questions are:

    Are electric fences for pigs at a higher current than ones for other animals (thick
    skinned etc etc)?

    Do electric fences pose any danger to children?

    Are there laws related to electric fences generally and to electric fences and public footpaths?

    Any thoughts on the above would be very much welcomed.

    Thanks,

    Gordon

  2. When I was younger, it used to been seen as a bit of a joke to grab hold of an electric fence and
    touch someone else, as that person always seemed to get a far bigger electric shock, not sure of the
    theory behind this but from experience I know that the longer the chain of people the greater the
    shock the person on the end got!

    Si,

    Gordon Taylor said:

    My wife the three children and I were out walking on Saturday (as we are most Saturdays). On one
    part of the walk (on a public foot path) we went through a field of pigs. As we entered the field
    the pigs started jostling us (making a bid for freedom) and my eldest daughter (3 yrs) touched the
    fence. My wife was holding her hand and was given a (relatively) large electric shock. I presume
    that my daughter also received the shock as it passed through her.

    The electric bit of the fence was not the normal fleck of wire in a sort of string but a thick
    solid length of wire (approx. 1mm diameter). There was no indication that it was electrified
    although obviously closer inspection would have reveiled that it was insulated as it went under
    the stile (but was not insulated by the gate that we exited the field (still on the footpath)).

    I did not touch the fence (I was carrying our 6 month old at the time). However, my wife and I are
    more than used to the normal shock that one gets from an electric fence. My wife felt that this
    was very much greater than this level of shock and her reaction clearly displayed this!

    My questions are:

    Are electric fences for pigs at a higher current than ones for other animals (thick skinned
    etc etc)?

    Do electric fences pose any danger to children?

    Are there laws related to electric fences generally and to electric fences and public footpaths?

    Any thoughts on the above would be very much welcomed.

    Thanks,

    Gordon

    --
    Si, 18/11/2003 18:12:06

  3. When I was younger it use to be a joke to grab hold of an electric fence and touch someone else as
    that person used to get a far bigger electric shock,

    I don't know the theory behind this, but from experience I know that the longer the chain of people
    the greater the shock the person on the end of the chain got.

    Cheers Si,

    Gordon Taylor said:

    My wife the three children and I were out walking on Saturday (as we are most Saturdays). On one
    part of the walk (on a public foot path) we went through a field of pigs. As we entered the field
    the pigs started jostling us (making a bid for freedom) and my eldest daughter (3 yrs) touched the
    fence. My wife was holding her hand and was given a (relatively) large electric shock. I presume
    that my daughter also received the shock as it passed through her.

    The electric bit of the fence was not the normal fleck of wire in a sort of string but a thick
    solid length of wire (approx. 1mm diameter). There was no indication that it was electrified
    although obviously closer inspection would have reveiled that it was insulated as it went under
    the stile (but was not insulated by the gate that we exited the field (still on the footpath)).

    I did not touch the fence (I was carrying our 6 month old at the time). However, my wife and I are
    more than used to the normal shock that one gets from an electric fence. My wife felt that this
    was very much greater than this level of shock and her reaction clearly displayed this!

    My questions are:

    Are electric fences for pigs at a higher current than ones for other animals (thick skinned
    etc etc)?

    Do electric fences pose any danger to children?

    Are there laws related to electric fences generally and to electric fences and public footpaths?

    Any thoughts on the above would be very much welcomed.

    Thanks,

    Gordon

  4. Personally I'd be more worried about pigs in a field with a right of way through it.

  5. Simon Caldwell <[email hidden]> wrote.

    Quoted message said:

    Personally I'd be more worried about pigs in a field with a right of way through it.


    That thought crossed my mind as the animals need to be treated with caution. a full grown beast can
    move with some alacrity and they have a large momentum when in full tilt.
    --
    david hill

  6. Quoted message said:

    Are there laws related to electric fences generally and to electric fences and public footpaths?

    This is taken from groups.yahoo.com63

    Q. are there any laws or regulations regarding barbed wire fencing running along side public
    rights of way

    R. Yes there are. Electric fences are slightly different, in that you can erect an electric fence
    across a path. **** Any electric fence crossing a right of way must be insulated so that there is
    no danger of a path user receiving a shock. Electric fences adjacent to rights of way should be
    clearly labelled as such. **** It is an offence to place barbed wire across a right of way.
    Barbed wire adjacent to a path could be considered to be a "public nuisance" if placed too close.
    A walker or rider who is injured or damages their clothes on barbed wire when using the path
    could claim for damages against the landowner. Barbed wire should never be electrified.

    Cheers, Innes

  7. Oh dear, typical smug middle class whinging - or is that just my bigotted reaction?

    I'd EXPECT to see electric fences out-of-doors - as well as water to fall in & drown,
    pigs/rams/lamascattle/deer to charge you, bees to sting, midges to bite, locals to complain, daft
    buggers on horses to ride you down....

    But, c'est la vie let us celebrate diversity, please keep enjoying the world

    "Gordon Taylor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My wife the three children and I were out walking on Saturday (as we are most Saturdays). On one
    part of the walk (on a public foot path) we went through a field of pigs. As we entered the field
    the pigs started jostling us (making a bid for freedom) and my eldest daughter (3 yrs) touched the
    fence. My wife was holding her hand and was given a (relatively) large electric shock. I presume
    that my daughter also received the shock as it passed through her.

    The electric bit of the fence was not the normal fleck of wire in a sort of string but a thick
    solid length of wire (approx. 1mm diameter). There was no indication that it was electrified
    although obviously closer inspection would have reveiled that it was insulated as it went under
    the stile (but was not insulated by the gate that we exited the field (still on the footpath)).

    I did not touch the fence (I was carrying our 6 month old at the time). However, my wife and I are
    more than used to the normal shock that one gets from an electric fence. My wife felt that this
    was very much greater than this level of shock and her reaction clearly displayed this!

    My questions are:

    Are electric fences for pigs at a higher current than ones for other animals (thick skinned
    etc etc)?

    Do electric fences pose any danger to children?

    Are there laws related to electric fences generally and to electric fences and public footpaths?

    Any thoughts on the above would be very much welcomed.

    Thanks,

    Gordon

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.542 / Virus Database: 336 - Release Date: 18/11/2003

  8. Si <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    When I was younger, it used to been seen as a bit of a joke to grab hold of an electric fence and
    touch someone else, as that person always seemed to get a far bigger electric shock, not sure of
    the theory behind this but from experience I know that the longer the chain of people the greater
    the shock the person on the end got!


    If the shock at the end appeared greater, it was only because the sweaty hands made a better
    contact, probably.

    Since all the people involved are connected in series the only variation in shock must be contact
    (or internal) resistance.

    In one drawing office where I worked as a draughtsman I could slide off my plastic stool and touch
    the tracers' hands and give them a shock. I had several of them lined up one day and got the last
    one to touch a metal desk, and that was a cracker! I told them it was my personal electricity
    which did it.

    It wasn't smart, they were all scared of more intimate contact. ;-)
    --
    Gordon

  9. The last one in the line always gets the biggest 'belt'... dunno.. Allah's will. You said your wife
    complained but your 3 year old daughter didn't. That might tell you something.

    Electric fence tech improves: my fathers new one knocks out 30x the voltage of the old.

    These things run off standard consumer batteries, and current being inversely propotional to voltage
    (3000+ probably), the current is MINISCULE. Never did me any harm anyway. 😉

    To me, like Rab, your tone sounds like someone checking 'the facts' (with a bunch of nonexperts(?)
    you've never met) before spoiling for a fight / whinge. So as Rab put it so well...

    Quoted message said:

    I'd EXPECT to see electric fences out-of-doors - as well as water to fall


    in

    Quoted message said:

    & drown, pigs/rams/lamascattle/deer to charge you, bees to sting, midges to bite, locals to
    complain, daft buggers on horses to ride you down....

    "Gordon Taylor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My wife the three children and I were out walking on Saturday (as we are most Saturdays). On one
    part of the walk (on a public foot path) we went through a field of pigs. As we entered the field
    the pigs started jostling us (making a bid for freedom) and my eldest daughter (3 yrs) touched the
    fence. My wife was holding her hand and was given a (relatively) large electric shock. I presume
    that my daughter also received the shock as it passed through her.

    The electric bit of the fence was not the normal fleck of wire in a sort of string but a thick
    solid length of wire (approx. 1mm diameter). There was no indication that it was electrified
    although obviously closer inspection would have reveiled that it was insulated as it went under
    the stile (but was not insulated by the gate that we exited the field (still on the footpath)).

    I did not touch the fence (I was carrying our 6 month old at the time). However, my wife and I are
    more than used to the normal shock that one gets from an electric fence. My wife felt that this
    was very much greater than this level of shock and her reaction clearly displayed this!

    My questions are:

    Are electric fences for pigs at a higher current than ones for other animals (thick skinned
    etc etc)?

    Do electric fences pose any danger to children?

    Are there laws related to electric fences generally and to electric fences and public footpaths?

    Any thoughts on the above would be very much welcomed.

    Thanks,

    Gordon

  10. In article <[email hidden]>, Gordon <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    In one drawing office where I worked as a draughtsman I could slide off my plastic stool and touch
    the tracers' hands

    Thanks for making THAT clear anyway :-)

    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Innes <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Barbed wire adjacent to a path could be considered to be a "public nuisance" if placed too close.
    A walker or rider who is injured or damages their clothes

    I was under the impression that if barbed wire was used adjacent to a public right of way it had to
    be fixed "inside" the fence and a strand of plain wire placed on the outside. The same may apply to
    electric fences.

    Are there such things as "mains" operated fences - transformed of course ??
    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, Reid <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, they should comply with the law. What the hell has this got to do with smugness or
    middle class?


    Note Rab - short for Rabid !
    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  13. W. D. Grey <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Gordon <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    In one drawing office where I worked as a draughtsman I could slide off my plastic stool and touch
    the tracers' hands

    Thanks for making THAT clear anyway :-)


    The static shock was as much of a jolt as any I have received of an electric fence!
    --
    Gordon

  14. In article <[email hidden]>, Roger Chapman
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    I don't recall ever seeing a fence that has plain wire to the fore and barbed wire on the reverse.

    Maybe roadside fences.

    The landowner has a responsibility to the general public to prevent their injuring themselves or
    their property.

    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  15. In article <[email hidden]>, W. D. Grey <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Maybe roadside fences.

    The landowner has a responsibility to the general public to prevent their injuring themselves or
    their property.

    I found this on the Internet:

    Barbed wire adjacent to the highway - Highways Act 1980 s164. Where there is barbed wire on any land
    adjoining the highway and which is likely to injure persons or animals on the highway, the highway
    authority may require its removal. There will be cases where judgement has to be exercised on
    whether the wire is likely to cause injury. As always, reasonableness comes into it.

    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  16. Following up to Rab

    Quoted message said:

    Oh dear, typical smug middle class whinging - or is that just my bigotted reaction?

    Yes, they should comply with the law. What the hell has this got to do with smugness or
    middle class?
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Wasdale, Thames path, London, landscapes
    "fellwalk.co.ukfellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site Spain,cuisines and walking "fell-fell-
    walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

  17. George said:

    The last one in the line always gets the biggest 'belt'... dunno.. Allah's will. You said your
    wife complained but your 3 year old daughter didn't. That might tell you something.

    Electric fence tech improves: my fathers new one knocks out 30x the voltage of the old.

    These things run off standard consumer batteries, and current being inversely propotional to
    voltage (3000+ probably), the current is MINISCULE. Never did me any harm anyway. 😉

    This may be of interest.

    defra.gov.ukElectric fencing manual.pdf

    scroll down to chapter 4.

    sureguard.com.audistance.html

    acc.org.nzelectric fences

    --
    Don`t Worry, Be Happy

    Sandy
    --

    E-Mail:- [email hidden] Website:- ftscotland.co.ukftscotland.co.uk IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble
    uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667 #Rabble Channel Website:- ftscotland.co.ukrabbled
    ICQ : 41266150

  18. As a child, it was one of my jobs to move the electric fence forward a few yards every day for strip
    grazing... And I always got a belt when connecting batteries or switching the unit on or off....
    Always found it unpleasant.

    Funny thing is introducing young cattle to their first fence.... They of course lick anything new,
    and the result - vertical take off!

    You have to supervise this, as often their jump brings the fence down.

    Richard Webb

  19. The message <[email hidden]>
    from "W. D. Grey" <[email hidden]> contains these words:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Barbed wire adjacent to a path could be considered to be a "public nuisance" if placed too
    close. A walker or rider who is injured or damages their clothes

    Quoted message said:

    I was under the impression that if barbed wire was used adjacent to a public right of way it had
    to be fixed "inside" the fence and a strand of plain wire placed on the outside. The same may
    apply to electric fences.

    AIUI it is a recommendation that barbed wire adjacent to PROWs should be attached to the far side of
    the fence posts. If it is a requirement it certainly isn't enforced in this neck of the words.

    I don't recall ever seeing a fence that has plain wire to the fore and barbed wire on the reverse.

    --
    Roger Looking North over the Aire Valley (and Marley Gasworks) to Rombolds Moor Top Posters
    killfiled on sight

  20. Dear micky, your language "What the hell has this got..." etc.
    self-evidently shows that you, Mike, are unquestionably smug &
    middle-class:

    btw

    wife continues to remind me, I am unquestionably smag & middle class so I think I know what I'm
    talking about...

    "Reid" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Following up to Rab

    Quoted message said:

    Oh dear, typical smug middle class whinging - or is that just my bigotted reaction?

    Yes, they should comply with the law. What the hell has this got to do with smugness or
    middle class?
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Wasdale, Thames path, London,
    landscapes "fellwalk.co.ukfellwalk.co.uk" <--


    you can email us@ this site

    Quoted message said:

    Spain,cuisines and walking "fell-walker.co.ukfell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@


    all, it's a spamtrap

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.543 / Virus Database: 337 - Release Date: 21/11/2003

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.