UK and Europe · Public discussion

Electron 5W/10W rechargeable system

Started by Chris Eilbeck · · Last activity · 9 posts · 469 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
26 September 2005
Last activity
28 September 2005
Original author
Chris Eilbeck
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
469
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've just bought one of these systems for commuting and I'm quite
    happy with it so far but I'd like to haev a second charger at work
    just in case I need it. My LBS doesn't sell the charger on its own.
    The battery pack is NiMh and sealed. Does anyone know if it's just a
    battery in the pack or does it contain charging circuitry? I have a
    couple of NiMh chargers by Mascot which I guess I could use but they
    need to connect straight to the battery. Has anyone else done
    something similar?

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR

  2. Chris Eilbeck said:

    I've just bought one of these systems for commuting and I'm quite
    happy with it so far but I'd like to haev a second charger at work
    just in case I need it. My LBS doesn't sell the charger on its own.
    The battery pack is NiMh and sealed. Does anyone know if it's just a
    battery in the pack or does it contain charging circuitry? I have a
    couple of NiMh chargers by Mascot which I guess I could use but they
    need to connect straight to the battery. Has anyone else done
    something similar?

    Given that the Electron is a budget brand (Madison own) I would suspect
    that the battery pack is unlikely to contain any control circuitry. You
    may be able to find out by checking what is written on the charger. If
    it is a charger as apposed to a PSU then the unit will be a simple
    battery pack.

    Obvious caveats about lack of first hand knowledge apply here!

    Jon

  3. Chris Eilbeck ([email hidden]) wrote:
    : I've just bought one of these systems for commuting and I'm quite
    : happy with it so far but I'd like to haev a second charger at work
    : just in case I need it. My LBS doesn't sell the charger on its own.
    : The battery pack is NiMh and sealed. Does anyone know if it's just a
    : battery in the pack or does it contain charging circuitry? I have a
    : couple of NiMh chargers by Mascot which I guess I could use but they
    : need to connect straight to the battery. Has anyone else done
    : something similar?

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=257

    These folk sell the charger on it's own ... 5 quid.

    Blair.

  4. Jon Senior jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk said:
    Chris Eilbeck said:

    I've just bought one of these systems for commuting and I'm quite
    happy with it so far but I'd like to haev a second charger at work
    just in case I need it. My LBS doesn't sell the charger on its own.
    The battery pack is NiMh and sealed. Does anyone know if it's just a
    battery in the pack or does it contain charging circuitry? I have a
    couple of NiMh chargers by Mascot which I guess I could use but they
    need to connect straight to the battery. Has anyone else done
    something similar?

    Given that the Electron is a budget brand (Madison own) I would
    suspect that the battery pack is unlikely to contain any control
    circuitry. You may be able to find out by checking what is written
    on the charger. If it is a charger as apposed to a PSU then the unit
    will be a simple battery pack.

    It says AC Adaptor 6.5v 1000mA. It looks like a simple mains adaptor
    to me.

    Quoted message said:

    Obvious caveats about lack of first hand knowledge apply here!

    I really hope they're not trying to constant-voltage charge a NiMh
    pack with this thing. That would be very bad for the cells.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR

  5. (B.G. Finlay) said:

    Chris Eilbeck ([email hidden]) wrote:
    : I've just bought one of these systems for commuting and I'm quite
    : happy with it so far but I'd like to haev a second charger at work
    : just in case I need it. My LBS doesn't sell the charger on its own.
    : The battery pack is NiMh and sealed. Does anyone know if it's just a
    : battery in the pack or does it contain charging circuitry? I have a
    : couple of NiMh chargers by Mascot which I guess I could use but they
    : need to connect straight to the battery. Has anyone else done
    : something similar?

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=257

    These folk sell the charger on it's own ... 5 quid.

    Thanks.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR

  6. Chris Eilbeck said:

    It says AC Adaptor 6.5v 1000mA. It looks like a simple mains adaptor
    to me.

    In light of that, and of the cheapness of the replacement, I'd say the
    charging circuitry is definately in the pack. That makes it far more
    sophisticated than I'd expected!

    Quoted message said:

    I really hope they're not trying to constant-voltage charge a NiMh
    pack with this thing. That would be very bad for the cells.

    Only if you left it plugged in for more than C / current hours. ;-)
    Probably not ideal though. I suspect that this means that you have a
    choice of adapters, but at £5 you're unlikely to find anything much cheaper.

    Jon

  7. In message <[email hidden]>

    Chris Eilbeck said:

    I've just bought one of these systems for commuting and I'm quite
    happy with it so far but I'd like to haev a second charger at work
    just in case I need it. My LBS doesn't sell the charger on its own.
    The battery pack is NiMh and sealed. Does anyone know if it's just a
    battery in the pack or does it contain charging circuitry? I have a
    couple of NiMh chargers by Mascot which I guess I could use but they
    need to connect straight to the battery. Has anyone else done
    something similar?

    From voiding the warenty on my battery for my 5W only system, it appears
    to be 5 C sizeish cells soldered in series, and wrapped in plastic.
    I did not remove the plastic, but could not see any other electronics on
    the battery. (Unless something is hidden between the cells).

    When I charge it I plug the charger into a time switch to avoid
    over chargeing.

    Martin.

    --
    Typed by monkey #27662472869676 on typewriter #7552416572242
    When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.

  8. Martin Dann said:

    In message <[email hidden]>

    Chris Eilbeck said:

    I've just bought one of these systems for commuting and I'm quite
    happy with it so far but I'd like to haev a second charger at work
    just in case I need it. My LBS doesn't sell the charger on its own.
    The battery pack is NiMh and sealed. Does anyone know if it's just a
    battery in the pack or does it contain charging circuitry? I have a
    couple of NiMh chargers by Mascot which I guess I could use but they
    need to connect straight to the battery. Has anyone else done
    something similar?

    From voiding the warenty on my battery for my 5W only system, it
    appears to be 5 C sizeish cells soldered in series, and wrapped in
    plastic. I did not remove the plastic, but could not see any other
    electronics on the battery. (Unless something is hidden between the
    cells).

    Thanks a lot! I suspected that they were being really gash with their
    charging as it says you should discharge the battery fully before
    charging and never charge for more than 20 hours on the packaging.

    Quoted message said:

    When I charge it I plug the charger into a time switch to avoid
    over chargeing.

    I'll give it a little while with the supplied charger until I'm happy
    the lamps themselves won't fail (bathtub reliability curve and all
    that) then I'll just use a decent charger like my Mascot one. I
    expect this will do a lot less damage to the battery pack over time.
    I have a 5.5Ah pack of lithium polymer cells that I'll try too at some
    point.

    Chris
    --
    Chris Eilbeck
    MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/
    UKRA #1108 Level 2 UYB
    Tripoli UK Member #9527 LSMR

  9. Jon Senior said:
    Chris Eilbeck said:

    It says AC Adaptor 6.5v 1000mA. It looks like a simple mains adaptor
    to me.

    In light of that, and of the cheapness of the replacement, I'd say the
    charging circuitry is definately in the pack. That makes it far more
    sophisticated than I'd expected!

    Either that or there's no charging circuitry at all.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I really hope they're not trying to constant-voltage charge a NiMh
    pack with this thing. That would be very bad for the cells.

    Only if you left it plugged in for more than C / current hours. ;-)
    Probably not ideal though. I suspect that this means that you have a
    choice of adapters, but at £5 you're unlikely to find anything much
    cheaper.

    Well, if it's a trickle charger, then it wouldn't be a problem.

    A universal NiMH ( & NiCad) charger costs £15 from Budget Batteries. See:

    <http://www.budgetbatteries.co.uk/product/20462/MCUNI.html>

    Which might give more peace of mind.
    --
    Ambrose

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.