epidydimitis-my old friend

kopride

May 17, 2006
I don't know whether I am the only cyclist plagued by this chronic testicular swelling/pain of epidydimitis , but it is brutal and has taken away weeks of training for me per year. I also feel like the lady who swallowed a fly at this point, and the cures keep aggravating the situation. As a general proposition, cycling pressure can compress certain vessels and lead to epidydimitis from urine reflux and bacterial infections. I got a vasectomy because spermicide was causing uti's and inflammation, which lead to inflamation, and more bouts of epidydimitis. The vasectomy caused additional recovery issues which took me off the bike for months. Now I am plagued with testicular pain which is believed related to the inflamation of the same area from vessels which were cut during the v-procedure. Oh, and the epidydimitis also leads to some ED from generalized pain in that area so the vascectomy is kind of going to waste. AHGGGGH. Also, just to add to the irony, because my wife is also in her early 40s she has been plagued with heavy menstral cycles that go on for weeks rather than days, so her doctor has recently put her back on birth control pills to adjust her hormone levels. I am just waiting for my urologist to recomend condoms, which decreases the possibility of infection from normal vaginal bacteria (STD screening has been done as the normal work up, so that is not at play). So at least with a vascectomy, birth control pills, and condoms, we will have no risk of an unwanted pregnancy--which is moot because of epidydimitis related ED. And because both my wife and I are fitness freaks, we actually are still into each other after ten years of marriage, and are pretty active intimately so this has been a *****.

I am particularly prone to it this time of year because long time on the trainer without the regular up and down stop and start of being outside seems to aggravate it worse. I generally try and stand a few minutes per interval just to keep the pressure off but its not the same for some reason. Scrupulous hygiene of riding shorts and clothes, and changing out of them immediately also has not helped.

Any advice from someone who has dealt with this and addressed it permanently would be great. I mean, you can ride with hip pain, knee pain or ankle pain, but this literally keeps you from sitting on a bike seat. It always happens on the right side, and I would almost be willing to just have then lop of the boy there, if it would solve the problem permanently. If I try and ride through the pain, it becomes so tender and inflamed that it is essentially incapacitiating. This is a 4 or 5 year problem at this point.

Are you sure this is aggrivated by riding on the trainer? Have you tried a period of riding out on the road during this time of year just to rule this one out? I can't believe that the weather outside is as unpleasant as the pain you're going through.

... maybe it's something else that presents similar symptoms:
Prostatitis website -- Epidydimitis related to pelvic muscle strain

Didn't you have piriformis issues before? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else...

Thankfully I don't feel your pain, but you both have my sympathy. :(

I'd think seriously about running or whatever sport your wife is into -- it's got to be more fun than a kick in the junk.

kopride said:
Any advice from someone who has dealt with this and addressed it permanently would be great. I mean, you can ride with hip pain, knee pain or ankle pain, but this literally keeps you from sitting on a bike seat. It always happens on the right side, and I would almost be willing to just have then lop of the boy there, if it would solve the problem permanently. If I try and ride through the pain, it becomes so tender and inflamed that it is essentially incapacitiating. This is a 4 or 5 year problem at this point.

Sorry to hear about the issues. I thought I was the only one having the bad year. Have you asked your doctor about the issue and how much you enjoy riding and do not want to stop.

I am at a crossroads myself. Went to my ortho and explained how I was getting much better but still experiencing some pain and cramps. The weights are coming back up and certain exercises almost back to old levels. But doing stuff like the eliptical even on low levels just does not help. I told him about HSS and Lutz and he said that it would be perfect for me. I am sure if I did not bring in the papers he would have never suggested the targeted disc decompression. He says it coming on a year now and this should be over. The misdiagnosis just cost you too much time and the epidurals would have probably you got over the hump if done earlier.

Honestly a bit anxious about doing a procedure as you never know what could happen but they insist safe and worst case just would not be any better.

Good luck man...hope you get an answer...I know you like running also so may be an answer for now. I know I have never done this many core exercises but now not much left.

-js

swampy1970 said:
Are you sure this is aggrivated by riding on the trainer? Have you tried a period of riding out on the road during this time of year just to rule this one out? I can't believe that the weather outside is as unpleasant as the pain you're going through.

... maybe it's something else that presents similar symptoms:
Prostatitis website -- Epidydimitis related to pelvic muscle strain

Didn't you have piriformis issues before? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else...

No, I get it any time of year, but I just get it more in the winter than in the summer. Never had pirifomis, but i have gotten epidydimitis frequently and this is not my first desperate post for help.

I went to the doctor today and he did an ultrasound and urine culture. The ultrasound showed that the area around the epididimys looks swollen and a bit cystic. After a vasectomy, you body still produces sperm but it has to get absorbed within so it can aggravate the condition; since my condition was fairly chronic even before the procedure, the doctor is skeptical that the procedure caused it and feels that it is just a progression of a chronic condition. All I can say is that it has gotten worse since the procedure. What used to be discrete swelling is now gross swelling into the size of an orange--without even a hint of exxageration. Its gasp worthy.

Since the urine culture is clean, it comes down to anti-inflamatories and heat as treatment--and rest. These bouts used to clear in a matter of days, the last bout was 8 weeks.

My two favorite things in the whole world happen to involve some pressure on this part of my anatomy. Its going to be another great weekend. Heating pad on the nuts and hot baths. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I know the meaning of the term "exquisite tenderness. "

I'd think seriously about running or whatever sport your wife is into -- it's got to be more fun than a kick in the junk.

Yeah, but you know that cycling is more than just exercise. I ride with my friends, and its my recreation and exercise all wrapped in one. Some guys golf, and we ride. I'm not sure that Tae Bo and aerobics with my wife would be the same for me. She is pretty supportive of the whole thing. particularly because I got the vasectomy because she wasn't interested in going back on the pill.

Good luck man...hope you get an answer...I know you like running also so may be an answer for now. I know I have never done this many core exercises but now not much left.

Thanks, JS. Good luck with your issue. It sucks getting old.

kopride said:
What used to be discrete swelling is now gross swelling into the size of an orange--without even a hint of exxageration. Its gasp worthy.

My two favorite things in the whole world happen to involve some pressure on this part of my anatomy. Its going to be another great weekend. Heating pad on the nuts and hot baths. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I know the meaning of the term "exquisite tenderness. "

Yeah, but you know that cycling is more than just exercise. I ride with my friends, and its my recreation and exercise all wrapped in one.

Thanks, JS. Good luck with your issue. It sucks getting old.

If it really gets that large and there is nothing they can do to bring it down? Also that is what makes me worry alot about any procedure no matter how simple. Never know what else it can do...seems a bit too much of a coincidence that it gets worse at the exact same time as you had the procedure. I use a heating pad myself but it seems I am married to an ice pack lately.

You will adapt and find something else to do. We all have to eventually. I bought myself a new camera and plain on doing some short film shoots. In the old days iot was not the gym but the job and computer was all my time. Hey why not again...atleast the brain usually lasts a bit longer.

It does sux...the biggest problem is the old saying, "the youth is wasted on the young", man if I knew half the $hit that I know now than and had half the money that I have now. That would have been fun.

-js

kopride said:
Yeah, but you know that cycling is more than just exercise. I ride with my friends, and its my recreation and exercise all wrapped in one. Some guys golf, and we ride. I'm not sure that Tae Bo and aerobics with my wife would be the same for me. She is pretty supportive of the whole thing. particularly because I got the vasectomy because she wasn't interested in going back on the pill.

No doubt, and I wasn't trying to make it sound like an easy answer by any means. If I weren't cycling, I think I could develop the same sense of community and support with friends from other hobbies, too. Realistically, what you're going through sounds like enough to make me consider a love affair with something else besides cycling, although it would be tough at first.

Sorry for your plight. Hang in there. :(

frenchyge said:
Realistically, what you're going through sounds like enough to make me consider a love affair with something else besides cycling, although it would be tough at first.

You do get used to it. I have not touched a bike or put my foot down on a pedal for almost about 6-7 mos now. You get used to it but in the beginning it was really tough. I was so used to the WKO, waking up at 430am and ready to go in the park or in the CT by 5am. Now that seems so long ago.

If I remember correctly from my other forum, going through chronic pain is alot like going through the stages of another experience.

First you have denial, where you do not admit you are hurt and just keep going. Than you go through anger where you are angry that this is happening and wonder why did this happen to me. Than you go through depression as you know you have to stop certain things and feel sorry for yourself. Finally acceptance where you understand it, learn how to deal with it and make the best out of life. My herniation over the year it has now been bothering me took me through all these stages.

-js