EPO from Oxygen Breathing?

wiredued

Aug 17, 2004
Has any one heard of this before?

http://www.knowledgeofhealth.com/report.asp?story=Anemia%20How%20Modern%20Medicine%20Treats%20It%20With%20A%20Billion-Dollar%20Price%20Tag%20And%20Kickbacks%20To%20Doctors&catagory=Cancer,%20Drugs

"Dr. Burk noticed that researchers in Brussels, Belgium, had conducted an experiment last year among healthy volunteers who breathed oxygen at normal room pressure for two hours following moderate exercise. This practice resulted in a 50% increase in EPO levels after 24 hours.(9)
This experiment clearly showed that oxygen breathing stimulates natural production of EPO."

wiredued said:
Has any one heard of this before?

http://www.knowledgeofhealth.com/report.asp?story=Anemia%20How%20Modern%20Medicine%20Treats%20It%20With%20A%20Billion-Dollar%20Price%20Tag%20And%20Kickbacks%20To%20Doctors&catagory=Cancer,%20Drugs

"Dr. Burk noticed that researchers in Brussels, Belgium, had conducted an experiment last year among healthy volunteers who breathed oxygen at normal room pressure for two hours following moderate exercise. This practice resulted in a 50% increase in EPO levels after 24 hours.(9)
This experiment clearly showed that oxygen breathing stimulates natural production of EPO."
http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/100/2/512

It is not quite as described by Dr. Burk. 100% oxygen is not quite the same as "oxygen at normal room pressure". Interesting but I would wait until this is confirmed and, even if it is cofirmed, it still isn't going to be legal nor will it be easy to administer.

Fday said:
...even if it is cofirmed, it still isn't going to be legal nor will it be easy to administer.
Why not? Altitude tents are legal.

What makes me wonder/what I find to be interesting is how 100% oxygen after exercise increases red blood cells, as does a lack of oxygen in normal routines...

iliveonnitro said:

What makes me wonder/what I find to be interesting is how 100% oxygen after exercise increases red blood cells, as does a lack of oxygen in normal routines...
altitude tents simulate "normal" conditions are even those are illegal in Italy. 100% oxygen requires a doctors prescription and very specialized equipment to carry it off. (It is not the same as breathing a little supplemental oxygen on the sideline, which maybe gets their inspird oxygen concentration up to 22% from 21, a purely psychological benefit.) Anyhow, this partial pressure of O2 does not occur naturally anywhere. And, if anyone actually tries it they will probably burn their house down, remember Grisom, White and Chaffee.

That is interesting it should be one or the other not both but people living in the mountains with less oxygen tend to have higher hemotocrit levels also don't they?

iliveonnitro said:

Fday said:
altitude tents simulate "normal" conditions are even those are illegal in Italy. 100% oxygen requires a doctors prescription and very specialized equipment to carry it off. (It is not the same as breathing a little supplemental oxygen on the sideline, which maybe gets their inspird oxygen concentration up to 22% from 21, a purely psychological benefit.) Anyhow, this partial pressure of O2 does not occur naturally anywhere. And, if anyone actually tries it they will probably burn their house down, remember Grisom, White and Chaffee.
In the Netherlands the fire departments has to check the house of a patient before we can subscribe oxygen therapy.

The 100% oxygen which is analyzed in this study is 15 liter of 100% oxygen in a “nonrebreather” face mask. In the group with normal pressure the increase of EPO concentrations occured. Wondering what kind of increase in Hb/Ht you can get from a couple of oxygen therapy sessions.

PaulMD said:
In the Netherlands the fire departments has to check the house of a patient before we can subscribe oxygen therapy.

The 100% oxygen which is analyzed in this study is 15 liter of 100% oxygen in a “nonrebreather” face mask. In the group with normal pressure the increase of EPO concentrations occured. Wondering what kind of increase in Hb/Ht you can get from a couple of oxygen therapy sessions.
I only read the abstract so did not understand their protocol. Such a regimen (15 L through a non-rebreather mask) would not normally result in anything close to 100% inspired oxygen, although it would be a substantial increase in partial pressure. Why they called this 100% is beyond me. However, it would hardly cause any change in oxygen concentration at the cellular level (edit, in normal people).
They theorized that it was the change in concentration that caused this effect although I can't imagine a mechanism. This study needs to be repeated.