General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Equipment Alternative to Running

Started by Baron · · Last activity · 10 posts · 365 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 November 2005
Last activity
27 November 2005
Original author
Baron
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
365
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Do any of you have a preference for a piece of equipment or a machine
    that is an alternative to running?

    At 48, I find I am injuring my feet and ankles too frequently to run
    even lightly. I have orthotics in my shoes and I warm up and stretch
    regularly. As I type this, I am recovering from a shin splint just above
    the ankle and I only run three miles three times a week.

    I do not care for swimming or bicycling. I am looking for something
    that I can use in my house.

    There are many different types of machines out there - ellipticals,
    "NordiTracks", etc. What would you recommend?

    Thanks in Advance.

  2. "Baron" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Do any of you have a preference for a piece of equipment or a
    machine
    that is an alternative to running?

    At 48, I find I am injuring my feet and ankles too frequently to
    run
    even lightly. I have orthotics in my shoes and I warm up and stretch
    regularly. As I type this, I am recovering from a shin splint just
    above
    the ankle and I only run three miles three times a week.

    I do not care for swimming or bicycling. I am looking for
    something
    that I can use in my house.

    There are many different types of machines out there - ellipticals,
    "NordiTracks", etc. What would you recommend?

    Ask on news:rec.running and/or news:misc.fitness.aerobic and/or
    news:misc.fitness.misc

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  3. Baron said:

    Do any of you have a preference for a piece of equipment or a
    machine that is an alternative to running?

    At 48, I find I am injuring my feet and ankles too frequently to
    run even lightly. I have orthotics in my shoes and I warm up and
    stretch regularly. As I type this, I am recovering from a shin
    splint just above the ankle and I only run three miles three times a
    week.

    I do not care for swimming or bicycling. I am looking for
    something that I can use in my house.

    There are many different types of machines out there - ellipticals,
    "NordiTracks", etc. What would you recommend?

    Thanks in Advance.

    There's only one machine you need; see
    http://www.concept2.com/05/default.asp?bhcp=1 !

    --
    Bully

    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't
    matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

  4. Baron said:

    Do any of you have a preference for a piece of equipment or a machine
    that is an alternative to running?

    At 48, I find I am injuring my feet and ankles too frequently to run
    even lightly. I have orthotics in my shoes and I warm up and stretch
    regularly. As I type this, I am recovering from a shin splint just above
    the ankle and I only run three miles three times a week.

    I do not care for swimming or bicycling. I am looking for something
    that I can use in my house.

    There are many different types of machines out there - ellipticals,
    "NordiTracks", etc. What would you recommend?

    Thanks in Advance.

    As an alternative to running I would suggest Tabata Thrusters. You
    can do that in your house.

    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-046-training

    Jason

  5. Baron said:

    Do any of you have a preference for a piece of equipment or a machine
    that is an alternative to running?

    At 48, I find I am injuring my feet and ankles too frequently to run
    even lightly. I have orthotics in my shoes and I warm up and stretch
    regularly. As I type this, I am recovering from a shin splint just above
    the ankle and I only run three miles three times a week.

    I do not care for swimming or bicycling. I am looking for something
    that I can use in my house.

    There are many different types of machines out there - ellipticals,
    "NordiTracks", etc. What would you recommend?

    Thanks in Advance.

    Same problem here. Constant shin splints and or sore knees.
    Before joining a club, I used a Nordictrack for several years. I liked
    it a lot. The beauty of the machine is the constant need to keep
    balanced. You'll work the abs and back a bit. The others with those
    metal arm levers just don't compare. The swinging cadence of the
    handles on ropes feels very much like nordic skiing. You can pick a
    good one up cheap because they are no longer "cool". Look on ebay or
    yard sales.

  6. Baron said:

    Do any of you have a preference for a piece of equipment or a machine
    that is an alternative to running?

    At 48, I find I am injuring my feet and ankles too frequently to run
    even lightly. I have orthotics in my shoes and I warm up and stretch
    regularly. As I type this, I am recovering from a shin splint just above
    the ankle and I only run three miles three times a week.

    I do not care for swimming or bicycling. I am looking for something
    that I can use in my house.

    There are many different types of machines out there - ellipticals,
    "NordiTracks", etc. What would you recommend?

    Thanks in Advance.


    i think the thing is with exercice equipment is they tend to be unused
    when stationed at home or far between workouts i have seen alot of
    exercice bikes unused at friends houses
    you have to be very diciplined to keep it up at home

  7. On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:24:23 -0700, Jason Earl <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    As an alternative to running I would suggest Tabata Thrusters. You
    can do that in your house.

    http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-036-training

    Jason

    Hey [censored], he can do elipticals at home too, so take your spamming
    [censored] and shove it!
    To the poster: Get a Nordictrack 910 eliptical trainer. We've had one
    for 4 years now, with no problems. It is the only one you'll look at
    that looks like a "gym quality" eliptical, all the rest look like toys
    in comparison. It has all the features including online programs you
    can DL from their website, all the bells and whistles, and a "lazy
    man's helper" so if you slow down too much a boxing glove comes out
    and punches you in the face (well, not really).
    Ours is 4 years old, and gets as much as two hours a day use between
    my daughter and I, but at least an hour a day by her. it is a relaible
    machine that gives you much more of a WO tha treadmills and other
    crappy machines. It's about $700 at Sears, but we got ours as a return
    at Sears (sent back because of a minor defect that's usually because
    some moron put it together wrong, then Sears repairs it) for $400 with
    full in home warranty.

  8. Bill said:

    The beauty of the machine is the constant need to keep
    balanced. You'll work the abs and back a bit. The others with those
    metal arm levers just don't compare.

    Yes dicklips they DO compare! The Nordictrack 910 is superior to your
    childish "ropes".

  9. "Bully" <neil_simpson@spam-me-not_btinternet.com> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Baron said:

    Do any of you have a preference for a piece of equipment or a
    machine that is an alternative to running?

    At 48, I find I am injuring my feet and ankles too frequently to
    run even lightly. I have orthotics in my shoes and I warm up and
    stretch regularly. As I type this, I am recovering from a shin
    splint just above the ankle and I only run three miles three times a
    week.

    I do not care for swimming or bicycling. I am looking for
    something that I can use in my house.

    There are many different types of machines out there - ellipticals,
    "NordiTracks", etc. What would you recommend?

    Thanks in Advance.

    There's only one machine you need; see
    http://www.concept2.com/05/default.asp?bhcp=1 !

    --
    Bully


    I have an older one. It's a good machine and the support from Concept 2 is
    fantastic.

  10. Thanks to all. Based on the responses and some other sources, I'm going
    to look at getting an elliptical trainer once I'm healed. I intend to stick
    with weights / calisthenics for strength and upper body work. As for the
    chance the equipment will just become an interesting looking clothes
    hanger, I'm already pretty dedicated to exercise. I figure if I'm willing
    to go out in the rain and snow just to run, having some equipment in a nice
    comfortable house should make it even easier to exercise.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.