Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Ergomo and Power Tap comparison

Started by Robert Chung · · Last activity · 159 posts · 11,543 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
21 October 2003
Last activity
2 November 2003
Original author
Robert Chung
Posts
159
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
11,543
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 159
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Some of you may know that the Ergomo bottom bracket-based power meter has recently entered the
    market. Although some Ergomo dealers have done private testing and comparisons of their systems,
    until now there has not been any publicly-available data set that could be used for independent
    evaluation. Last week, Ergomo-USA put some data files on their website that were collected during a
    two-hour ride on a bike equipped with both the Ergomo and the Power Tap Pro hub. I've had a chance
    to examine the data and my comments are here:
    mywebpage.netscape.comergomo pt.html

    I have previously examined data from a ride where three different power meters were installed: the
    SRM, the Power Tap, and the Polar S710 with optional power module. That write-up can be found via
    the link at: mywebpage.netscape.comwattage

  2. "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Some of you may know that the Ergomo bottom bracket-based power meter


    has

    Quoted message said:

    recently entered the market. Although some Ergomo dealers have done private testing and
    comparisons of their systems, until now there has


    not

    Quoted message said:

    been any publicly-available data set that could be used for


    independent

    Quoted message said:

    evaluation. Last week, Ergomo-USA put some data files on their website that were collected during
    a two-hour ride on a bike equipped with


    both

    Quoted message said:

    the Ergomo and the Power Tap Pro hub. I've had a chance to examine the data and my comments are
    here: mywebpage.netscape.comergomo pt.html

    I have previously examined data from a ride where three different


    power

    Quoted message said:

    meters were installed: the SRM, the Power Tap, and the Polar S710 with optional power module. That
    write-up can be found via the link at: mywebpage.netscape.comwattage

    Thanks for supplying the info Robert. Interesting to see another power measuring device that
    probably doesn't perform any better than a Powertap at almost twice the price. I would like to see
    the business plan for this device. I like the longer sampling rate which will eliminate the annoying
    frequent reading changes of the Powertap. The higher reading is expected due to drivetrain losses
    although one would expect to see this as a percentage and not a constant. Of course when measuring
    only one leg the device can be deliberately fooled. I don't see this as a flaw but don't pay too
    much attention to your readings when doing one legged drills with either leg.

    Phil Holman

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Holman

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks for supplying the info Robert. Interesting to see another power measuring device that
    probably doesn't perform any better than a Powertap at almost twice the price.

    Let's get the facts straight:

    MSRP:
    - PT w/Training Wheel - $799
    - PT Pro w/Training Wheel - $999
    - PT w/Race Wheel - $1099
    - PT Pro w/Race Wheel - $1299
    - Ergomo Sport - $1289

    Now, I would also argue that if you go with a PT option, you need to pick up a copy of CyclingPeaks
    Software as the PT software is pathetic! That's another $75.

    I think it's pretty hard to call that "almost twice". There are some other significant advantages to
    the Ergomo, including:

    o Use your own wheels. o Rechargable battery. o Lighter o hardwired computer eliminates data drops

    There are others, you can find details @ ergomo-usa.comergomo-usa.com.

    Scott

    --
    -*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- fixedgearfever.comfixedgearfever.com -*- Track Racing
    Web Services

  4. "scott patton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Holman

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks for supplying the info Robert. Interesting to see another


    power

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    measuring device that probably doesn't perform any better than a Powertap at almost twice
    the price.

    Let's get the facts straight:

    MSRP:
    - PT w/Training Wheel - $799
    - PT Pro w/Training Wheel - $999
    - PT w/Race Wheel - $1099
    - PT Pro w/Race Wheel - $1299
    - Ergomo Sport - $1289

    Still as fiesty as ever Scott. The market demand for such devices being able to support several
    companies is questionable. I thought the $300 I paid for my PT was OK. It was used but the hub had
    just been replaced and personally, I wouldn't pay over $1000 for one. This from their website.....
    "Fortunately for the consumer, there are several options on the market to choose from. At $1279, the
    Ergomo Sport® is a great value considering that the comparable competitor retails for more than
    twice the price"........

    They obviously don't consider the PT as being comparable.......more straight facts no doubt.

    Quoted message said:


    Now, I would also argue that if you go with a PT option, you need to


    pick

    Quoted message said:

    up a copy of CyclingPeaks Software as the PT software is pathetic!


    That's

    Quoted message said:

    another $75.

    I think it's pretty hard to call that "almost twice". There are some


    other

    Quoted message said:

    significant advantages to the Ergomo, including:

    o Use your own wheels. o Rechargable battery. o Lighter o hardwired computer eliminates data drops

    Using your own wheels is good and you could possibly use this on a track bike if you can get the
    chainline right. There's a little extra hassle when moving this to another bike unless you buy
    another BB sensor.

    Phil Holman

  5. "Phil Holman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The higher reading is expected due to drivetrain losses although one would expect to see this as a
    percentage and not a constant.

    While people frequently state that X% of power is lost in the drivetrain, in fact this percentage
    declines with increasing power output - IOW, it appears to be partially, if not largely, a constant.
    This makes sense when you consider that 1) most of the friction in the chain reportedly arises as a
    result of the links bending around one another, and is not due to rubbing of the bushings on cogs or
    chainrings, and 2) on a geared bike, the chain bends the most wrapping around the derailleur
    pulleys, i.e., on the lower run where the tension is independent of power output.

    Andy Coggan.

  6. "Andy Coggan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Phil Holman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The higher reading is expected due to drivetrain losses although one


    would

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    expect to see this as a percentage and not a constant.

    While people frequently state that X% of power is lost in the


    drivetrain, in

    Quoted message said:

    fact this percentage declines with increasing power output - IOW, it


    appears

    Quoted message said:

    to be partially, if not largely, a constant. This makes sense when you consider that 1) most of
    the friction in the chain reportedly arises


    as a

    Quoted message said:

    result of the links bending around one another, and is not due to


    rubbing of

    Quoted message said:

    the bushings on cogs or chainrings, and 2) on a geared bike, the chain


    bends

    Quoted message said:

    the most wrapping around the derailleur pulleys, i.e., on the lower


    run

    Quoted message said:

    where the tension is independent of power output.

    Good point. One would therefore expect to see a difference in Ergomo readings between very high and
    very low cadences for a given power on a PT reading.

    Phil Holman

  7. "scott patton" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    There are others, you can find details @ ergomo-usa.comergomo-usa.com.

    Thanks for the link Scott. Just looking at the device, it seems to me that it can only measure
    torque carried by the bottom bracket spindle which means it can only measure left leg power/torque.

    If you are just using it to follow your own training it might not matter. Then again, you might
    adopt a left pedal power style to get bigger numbers ;-) Can't imagine paying that much for a device
    with such a large inherent assumption.

    Cheers,

    Jim

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.528 / Virus Database: 324 - Release Date: 10/16/2003

  8. "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Some of you may know that the Ergomo bottom bracket-based power meter has recently entered the
    market. Although some Ergomo dealers have done private testing and comparisons of their systems,
    until now there has not been any publicly-available data set that could be used for independent
    evaluation. Last week, Ergomo-USA put some data files on their website that were collected during
    a two-hour ride on a bike equipped with both the Ergomo and the Power Tap Pro hub. I've had a
    chance to examine the data and my comments are here:
    mywebpage.netscape.comergomo pt.html

    I have previously examined data from a ride where three different power meters were installed: the
    SRM, the Power Tap, and the Polar S710 with optional power module. That write-up can be found via
    the link at: mywebpage.netscape.comwattage

    Until I found out it only measures one side, I thought this was potentially the best system. You can
    use virtually all of your own equipment, and other great features. Measuring one leg could be a deal
    breaker for me, especially if the athlete has no way to determine what his or her power distribution
    is. I have seen many athletes that have more slow twitch pwer on the non dominant leg and of course
    more fast twitch on the dominant side.

    What a let down. I guess it still serves a lot of purpose, it is just not as ideal as I had thought.

    How is the softwares? What is the raw data format?

    Thanks Robert

  9. Phil Holman said:

    One would therefore expect to see a difference in Ergomo readings between very high and very low
    cadences for a given power on a PT reading.

    This is why I was trying to identify the gear ratios used, and why my comments may seem overly
    obsessed with cadence -- I need to use speed and cadence to figure out exactly when the switch is
    made from one gear ratio to another. I was trying to figure out whether there was a difference in
    recorded power based on the chainwheel-cog combination being used. An annoying side issue in my
    analysis was that the two wheel circumferences weren't set exactly the same, and I needed to fiddle
    with them to figure out which circumference may have been closer (since the cadence was so flaky, I
    need pretty good info on speed in order to differentiate between similar numeric gear ratios that
    come from a small chainring-small cog combo vs. a large chainring-medium cog combo).

    As to whether the Ergomo is worth the money, I have no opinion. I've never used either of these two
    devices. This wasn't a comparison of features or usability, which other people have done. I was
    simply looking at the quality of the power data, which others haven't. I think the evidence from a
    sample size of 1 is that consistency of power measurement doesn't appear to be an issue to worry
    about, and you should decide based on features and usability and reliability (and price).

  10. "Nick Burns" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How is the softwares? What is the raw data format?

    The Ergomo comes with a customized version of the best powermeter software on the market:
    www.cyclingpeakssoftware.com. That means the data are saved
    in .wko format, but of course can be exported in any form your heart desires (.csv for PowerTap,
    .txt for SRM, .??? for Polar, etc.).

    Andy Coggan

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Holman

    Quoted message said:


    "scott patton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Holman

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks for supplying the info Robert. Interesting to see another


    power

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    measuring device that probably doesn't perform any better than a Powertap at almost twice the
    price.

    Let's get the facts straight:

    MSRP:
    - PT w/Training Wheel - $799
    - PT Pro w/Training Wheel - $999
    - PT w/Race Wheel - $1099
    - PT Pro w/Race Wheel - $1299
    - Ergomo Sport - $1289

    Still as fiesty as ever Scott.

    Huh? Just getting facts out so we can talk about them.

    Quoted message said:

    The market demand for such devices being able to support several companies is questionable. I
    thought the $300 I paid for my PT was OK. It was used but the hub had just been replaced and
    personally, I wouldn't pay over $1000 for one.

    It really depends on what you want. Many people wouldn't bay $500+ for a crankset you aren't going
    to race on.

    All of the power meters are tools to optimize your training, if use properly.

    Quoted message said:

    This from their website..... "Fortunately for the consumer, there are several options on the
    market to choose from. At $1279, the Ergomo Sport® is a great value considering that the
    comparable competitor retails for more than twice the price"........ They obviously don't consider
    the PT as being comparable.......more straight facts no doubt.

    I am very up on what the web page says (I am the guy that did it). In many ways I consider them
    comparable. Others, I do not. To most cat 3's with the whole weight weenie race wheel thing going
    on, PT and Ergomo are NOT comparable. You cant race with a light rear wheel with a PT. You can
    howerver run disco wheels with an SRM or an Ergomo.

    I am a dealer of both PT and Ergomo. I don't try to sell one of the other based on price, rather on
    what will you use it for?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Now, I would also argue that if you go with a PT option, you need to


    pick

    Quoted message said:

    up a copy of CyclingPeaks Software as the PT software is pathetic!


    That's

    Quoted message said:

    another $75.

    I think it's pretty hard to call that "almost twice". There are some


    other

    Quoted message said:

    significant advantages to the Ergomo, including:

    o Use your own wheels. o Rechargable battery. o Lighter o hardwired computer eliminates
    data drops

    Using your own wheels is good and you could possibly use this on a track bike if you can get the
    chainline right. There's a little extra hassle when moving this to another bike unless you buy
    another BB sensor.

    VERY true. Using an Ergomo on 2 bikes is a challenge! The same applies for an SRM.

    We are working on some fixed gear testing, but the Campy Triple model is the same bottom bracket
    (size) as a campy track bottom bracket. Chainline should be just fine! More on that soon!

    Scott

    --
    -*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- fixedgearfever.comfixedgearfever.com -*- Track Racing
    Web Services

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, Nick Burns

    Quoted message said:


    Until I found out it only measures one side, I thought this was potentially the best system. You
    can use virtually all of your own equipment, and other great features. Measuring one leg could be a
    deal breaker for me, especially if the athlete has no way to determine what his or her power
    distribution
    is. I have seen many athletes that have more slow twitch pwer on the non dominant leg and of course
    more fast twitch on the dominant side.

    While the ride Robert tore apart is only one ride, we are finding that people riding both a PT and
    Ergomo are coming up much like the analyzed ride.

    Quoted message said:

    How is the softwares? What is the raw data format?

    The software is called ErgoRacer and is the same as CyclingPeaks Software.

    www.CyclingPeaksSoftware.com

    It far exceeds other power analysis software!

    It stores the data in a proprietary .wko format. It can however export to .csv, .txt and other major
    formats to share files with people not using CyclingPeaks Software.

    CPS also integrates the Normalized Power, Training Stress Score and Intensiy Factor made famous by
    our own Andy Coggan.

    Scott

    --
    -*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- fixedgearfever.comfixedgearfever.com -*- Track Racing
    Web Services

  13. If one wanted to increase their numbers they could just buy an SRM and input a slope coeficient half
    that of the one set for their meter. That would give them nice big numbers. Then again, if they
    wanted to do that they bought it for other reason besides improving performance...

    CH

    "Jim Martin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "scott patton" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    There are others, you can find details @ ergomo-usa.comergomo-usa.com.

    Thanks for the link Scott. Just looking at the device, it seems to me that it can only measure
    torque carried by the bottom bracket spindle which means it can only measure left leg
    power/torque.

    If you are just using it to follow your own training it might not matter. Then again, you might
    adopt a left pedal power style to get bigger numbers ;-) Can't imagine paying that much for a
    device with such a large inherent assumption.

    Cheers,

    Jim

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.528 / Virus Database: 324 - Release Date: 10/16/2003

  14. I can't say that I would agree with your assessment, Phil. One could argue that it's hard to see how
    the market could sustain itself selling $1500 wheelsets, which can't improve performance as much as
    an effectively utilized power meter. Moreover, power meters have become the new HR monitor with
    numerous techno geeks AND serious cyclists looking to buy them. In my experience, many non-elite
    riders want to take the plunge to simply train better, and I can't disagree with them (granted, I do
    have an interest in them buying).

    Having used many of these devices, I would say the Ergomo looks the most promising because of its
    simplicity, weight and wheel usage. Whether the leg issue comes into play we'll have to wait and
    see, but I don't believe most healthy cyclists have such a (leg) discrepancy that it would come into
    play. But we should find out soon.

    CH

    "Phil Holman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "scott patton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Phil Holman

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks for supplying the info Robert. Interesting to see another


    power

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    measuring device that probably doesn't perform any better than a Powertap at almost twice the
    price.

    Let's get the facts straight:

    MSRP:
    - PT w/Training Wheel - $799
    - PT Pro w/Training Wheel - $999
    - PT w/Race Wheel - $1099
    - PT Pro w/Race Wheel - $1299
    - Ergomo Sport - $1289

    Still as fiesty as ever Scott. The market demand for such devices being able to support several
    companies is questionable. I thought the $300 I paid for my PT was OK. It was used but the hub had
    just been replaced and personally, I wouldn't pay over $1000 for one. This from their website.....
    "Fortunately for the consumer, there are several options on the market to choose from. At $1279,
    the Ergomo Sport® is a great value considering that the comparable competitor retails for more
    than twice the price"........

    They obviously don't consider the PT as being comparable.......more straight facts no doubt.

  15. "chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Moreover, power meters have become

    Quoted message said:

    the new HR monitor with numerous techno geeks AND serious cyclists looking to buy them.

    Power meters do not replace HRMs. I would be foolish to track power without heart rate.

  16. "Nick Burns" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Moreover, power meters have become

    Quoted message said:

    the new HR monitor with numerous techno geeks AND serious cyclists looking to buy them.

    Power meters do not replace HRMs. I would be foolish to track power


    without

    Quoted message said:

    heart rate.

    And why is that? (I know of plenty of scientific investigations of exercise responses in which HR
    has not been measured, and nobody seems to miss the data...in fact, probably about the only
    scientists who view it as indispensable are those studying the cardiovascular responses to
    exercise.)

    Andy Coggan

  17. "Andy Coggan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Nick Burns" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Moreover, power meters have become

    Quoted message said:

    the new HR monitor with numerous techno geeks AND serious cyclists looking to buy them.

    Power meters do not replace HRMs. I would be foolish to track power


    without

    Quoted message said:

    heart rate.

    And why is that? (I know of plenty of scientific investigations of


    exercise

    Quoted message said:

    responses in which HR has not been measured, and nobody seems to miss the data...in fact, probably
    about the only scientists who view it as indispensable are those studying the cardiovascular
    responses to


    exercise.)

    Quoted message said:


    Andy Coggan

    Because CV response is critical.

  18. In article <[email hidden]>, Nick Burns

    Quoted message said:


    "chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Moreover, power meters have become

    Quoted message said:

    the new HR monitor with numerous techno geeks AND serious cyclists looking to buy them.

    Power meters do not replace HRMs. I would be foolish to track power without heart rate.

    I think you have that backwards....

    topica.commessage.html

    Posted today.

    Scott

    --
    -*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- fixedgearfever.comfixedgearfever.com -*- Track Racing
    Web Services

  19. "scott patton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Nick Burns

    Quoted message said:


    "chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Moreover, power meters have become

    Quoted message said:

    the new HR monitor with numerous techno geeks AND serious cyclists looking to buy them.

    Power meters do not replace HRMs. I would be foolish to track power


    without

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    heart rate.

    I think you have that backwards....


    topica.commessage.html [censored]=15447

    Quoted message said:


    Posted today.

    Scott

    It works the same either way you state it. HRMs do not replace power meters either. OK?

    Quoted message said:

    --
    -*- Scott Patton -*- Colorado Springs, CO -*- fixedgearfever.comfixedgearfever.com -*- Track Racing Web
    Services

  20. "Nick Burns" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Andy Coggan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Nick Burns" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "chris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Moreover, power meters have become
    > the new HR monitor with numerous techno geeks AND serious cyclists looking to buy them.

    Power meters do not replace HRMs. I would be foolish to track power


    without

    Quoted message said:

    heart rate.

    And why is that? (I know of plenty of scientific investigations of


    exercise

    Quoted message said:

    responses in which HR has not been measured, and nobody seems to miss


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    data...in fact, probably about the only scientists who view it as indispensable are those
    studying the cardiovascular responses to


    exercise.)

    Quoted message said:


    Andy Coggan

    Because CV response is critical.

    Assuming for sake of argument that you're right, what then do you do with the information that HR
    provides you about your cardiovascular response?

    Andy Coggan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.