Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

ERRR there goes the morning

Started by Penny S. · · Last activity · 11 posts · 732 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
28 May 2003
Last activity
2 June 2003
Original author
Penny S.
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
732
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. emergency road rash report...

    my 13 year old has been riding to school... 7 miles down hill, tough eh? His buddy's dad goes with
    on the way to work, I get a call at 8:05 from Bill, "you might want to come down here and take a
    look at this....he hit a patch of gravel...." So I grab a bagel, brush my teeth... The 16 year old
    had been telling me for 20 minute that he wasn't riding his bike to High School as it was too cold
    and windy ( 58 and 5 mph) and as I hadn't planned on driving him anyway, this was the real
    opportunity to make it a no choicer for him..

    Grab the crash kit ( gauze, betadyne, tape, betadyne scrubber etc ) and head to school. There he is
    in the hall way, waiting for me, paper towel pressed to the bloody bit. One quick inspection by mom
    shows gouges, dirt, avulsions flaps and a lot ground in dirt. This may be beyond my first aid
    skills.... off to the urgent care. The only thing they have there that I didn't have is really good
    micro tweezers for getting the grit out from under the edges, and that cool lidocaine cream to numb
    the whole are do you can reef on it.

    the knee ouch, a good chunk out of the knee cap. Upper thigh and butt just skinned, wrist to forearm
    skinned with parallel gouged out areas and skinned up to the armpit. He's so great tho>>> great
    attitude, never flinched, They updated the tetanus, prescribed and antibiotic ( overkill?) and sent
    us on our way. The other riders say good thing he had his helmet. Oh I I sweet talked the nurse into
    giving me the rest of the tube of lidocain for future use.

    Penny

  2. Penny S. said:

    emergency road rash report...

    Ouch. Gravel is the devil's stew for bikes. Hope he recovers quick; at least the damage was only
    skin-deep.

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    emergency road rash report...

    my 13 year old has been riding to school... 7 miles down hill, tough eh? His buddy's dad goes with
    on the way to work, I get a call at 8:05 from Bill, "you might want to come down here and take a
    look at this....he hit a patch of gravel...." So I grab a bagel, brush my teeth... The 16 year old
    had been telling me for 20 minute that he wasn't riding his bike to High School as it was too cold
    and windy ( 58 and 5 mph) and as I hadn't planned on driving him anyway, this was the real
    opportunity to make it a no choicer for him..

    Grab the crash kit ( gauze, betadyne, tape, betadyne scrubber etc ) and head to school. There he
    is in the hall way, waiting for me, paper towel pressed to the bloody bit. One quick inspection by
    mom shows gouges, dirt, avulsions flaps and a lot ground in dirt. This may be beyond my first aid
    skills.... off to the urgent care. The only thing they have there that I didn't have is really
    good micro tweezers for getting the grit out from under the edges, and that cool lidocaine cream
    to numb the whole are do you can reef on it.

    the knee ouch, a good chunk out of the knee cap. Upper thigh and butt just skinned, wrist to
    forearm skinned with parallel gouged out areas and skinned up to the armpit. He's so great tho>>>
    great attitude, never flinched, They updated the tetanus, prescribed and antibiotic ( overkill?)
    and sent us on our way. The other riders say good thing he had his helmet. Oh I I sweet talked the
    nurse into giving me the rest of the tube of lidocain for future use.

    Penny

    OUCH!!!

    I wouldn't think an antibiotic would be overkill by the sounds of it (always sounds worse in text
    than in real life). a large area infection is not a good thing. my aunt just got out of the hospital
    from what started as a mild infection (got into blood steam).

    Pretty clever of you to sweet talk the nurse. ;-)

    Ahh well, he will no doubt get loads of fame at school for his injury. kids (and some adults ;-)
    take great pride in a gory looking injury when showing it off to friends.
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net megalink.net~farmers

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Penny S. said:

    emergency road rash report...

    Ouch. Gravel is the devil's stew for bikes. Hope he recovers quick; at least the damage was only
    skin-deep.

    "the knee ouch, a good chunk out of the knee cap." not exactly skin deep.
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net megalink.net~farmers

  5. Penny S. said:

    emergency road rash report...

    my 13 year old has been riding to school... 7 miles down hill, tough eh? His buddy's dad goes with
    on the way to work, I get a call at 8:05 from Bill, "you might want to come down here and take a
    look at this....he hit a patch of gravel...." So I grab a bagel, brush my teeth... The 16 year old
    had been telling me for 20 minute that he wasn't riding his bike to High School as it was too cold
    and windy ( 58 and 5 mph) and as I hadn't planned on driving him anyway, this was the real
    opportunity to make it a no choicer for him..

    Grab the crash kit ( gauze, betadyne, tape, betadyne scrubber etc ) and head to school. There he
    is in the hall way, waiting for me, paper towel pressed to the bloody bit. One quick inspection by
    mom shows gouges, dirt, avulsions flaps and a lot ground in dirt. This may be beyond my first aid
    skills.... off to the urgent care. The only thing they have there that I didn't have is really
    good micro tweezers for getting the grit out from under the edges, and that cool lidocaine cream
    to numb the whole are do you can reef on it.

    Oh, ow. I hate cleaning under flaps. I've used chloraseptic throat spray or viscous lidocaine (left
    over from my son's tonsil surgery) in a pinch. Helps numb it up a little so you can do what needs
    to be done.

    Quoted message said:

    the knee ouch, a good chunk out of the knee cap. Upper thigh and butt just skinned, wrist to
    forearm skinned with parallel gouged out areas and skinned up to the armpit. He's so great tho>>>
    great attitude, never flinched, They updated the tetanus, prescribed and antibiotic ( overkill?)
    and sent us on our way. The other riders say good thing he had his helmet. Oh I I sweet talked the
    nurse into giving me the rest of the tube of lidocain for future use.

    I don't think the antibiotics are overkill. The large areas of scrapes are bad enough, let alone the
    parts with chunks out (especially over a joint).

    Kathleen

  6. Penny S. said:

    emergency road rash report...

    Quoted message said:

    Grab the crash kit ( gauze, betadyne, tape, betadyne scrubber etc ) and head to school. There he
    is in the hall way, waiting for me, paper towel pressed to the bloody bit. One quick inspection by
    mom shows gouges, dirt, avulsions flaps

    WHOA that's where I stop reading. Don't think I want to know what an avulsion flap is, though I'm
    guessing anything that's flapping around post-accidente that wasn't before is a bad thing.

    Hope he heals quickly.

    gabrielle

  7. "gabrielle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Penny S. said:

    emergency road rash report...

    Quoted message said:

    Grab the crash kit ( gauze, betadyne, tape, betadyne scrubber etc ) and head to school. There he
    is in the hall way, waiting for me, paper towel pressed to the bloody bit. One quick inspection
    by mom shows gouges, dirt, avulsions flaps

    WHOA that's where I stop reading. Don't think I want to know what an avulsion flap is, though I'm
    guessing anything that's flapping around post-accidente that wasn't before is a bad thing.

    Hope he heals quickly.

    gabrielle

    avulsion flap, AKA meat puppet ;^)

    Mike - Look I can make it talk!

  8. Kathleen thoughtfully penned:

    Quoted message said:


    Oh, ow. I hate cleaning under flaps. I've used chloraseptic throat spray or viscous lidocaine
    (left over from my son's tonsil surgery) in a pinch. Helps numb it up a little so you can do what
    needs to be done.

    where can you get the lidocaine, I was told it was prescription only...

    penny

  9. Penny S. said:

    Kathleen thoughtfully penned:

    Quoted message said:

    Oh, ow. I hate cleaning under flaps. I've used chloraseptic throat spray or viscous lidocaine
    (left over from my son's tonsil surgery) in a pinch. Helps numb it up a little so you can do what
    needs to be done.

    where can you get the lidocaine, I was told it was prescription only...

    It is prescription only. It was left over after my son had his tonsils burned out.

    Kathleen

  10. "Penny S." <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    emergency road rash report...

    my 13 year old has been riding to school... 7 miles down hill, tough eh? His buddy's dad goes with
    on the way to work, I get a call at 8:05 from Bill, "you might want to come down here and take a
    look at this....he hit


    a

    Quoted message said:

    patch of gravel...." So I grab a bagel, brush my teeth... The 16 year old had been telling me for
    20 minute that he wasn't riding his bike to High School as it was too cold and windy ( 58 and 5
    mph) and as I hadn't planned on driving him anyway, this was the real opportunity to make it a no
    choicer for him..


    What hill?

    Glenn D.

  11. Glenn Dowdy thoughtfully penned:

    Quoted message said:

    "Penny S." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    emergency road rash report...

    my 13 year old has been riding to school... 7 miles down hill, tough eh? His buddy's dad goes
    with on the way to work, I get a call at
    8:05 from Bill, "you might want to come down here and take a look at this....he hit a patch of
    gravel...." So I grab a bagel, brush my teeth... The 16 year old had been telling me for 20
    minute that he wasn't riding his bike to High School as it was too cold and windy ( 58 and 5
    mph) and as I hadn't planned on driving him anyway, this was the real opportunity to make it a
    no choicer for him..


    What hill?

    Glenn D.

    General area is from Moran Prairie area to the old Libby Middle School off of Sprague. They work
    their way down in-between Havana and Freya sts. staying on as many of the unpaved "back" roads as
    possible. I live 2 miles from Ferris HS.

    Penny

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.