rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

Euro-newbie seeks suggestions

Started by Dave Rusin · · Last activity · 8 posts · 849 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
19 February 2008
Last activity
22 February 2008
Original author
Dave Rusin
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
849
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So this year, as I contemplate my annual long bike ride, I am also
    planning a business trip, and I realized I could combine both. But
    there are logistical questions I've never faced before so I turn
    to the assembled pros for help.

    I do long rides -- last year was Philadelphia to (Truro) Nova Scotia;
    typical pace has been 150 km/day, for a week or two. I'm open to any ride
    that's "interesting".

    My business travel will force me to change planes in Europe, probably
    London. I had planned to do my long ride before the business trip, but
    then I realized I could fly to Europe early, ride there, and then
    continue my business trip. I've never ridden in Europe before, so
    any ride there would be new and interesting.

    But there are tricky things to figure out.

    1. Any suggestions for what I could do with my work supplies for a
    week while riding? For example, are there secure lockers in Heathrow?

    2a. If I bring my own bike, how much would I pay (ballpark) to ship
    it back to the US after riding? Or is there a place I could safely park it
    until I return to an airport a couple of weeks later, en route to the US?
    I like my own bike (Giant OCR 1) but it starts to look like schlepping it
    back and forth across the ocean will be a lot of trouble; hence ..

    2b. Are there places where one could rent a good road bike for a week or two?

    3. A potential itinerary would have me fly through London but ride from,
    say, Paris to Warsaw. I'm just assuming there is a provision to put a bike
    on the train through the Channel Tunnel?

    At this point, the whole trip is just a (crazy?) idea, and in particular
    I have no real itinerary. I'm open to suggestions. I could do 1000 km or so.
    Great scenery would be a plus; and I would probably avoid large cities.
    I'm hoping there would be good-quality roads without too much traffic.
    I can handle hills just fine (I crossed Pennsylvania), but would likely
    be undone by a major Alpine route. The ability to throw up a tent
    sometimes would be great, but hostels and cheap hotels are also welcome.
    I can stumble along in a lot of the likely languages, though there's
    no question that a route in Britain would simplify that aspect a lot.

    I would be very interested in hearing about the surprises that experienced
    American riders had when they first rode in Europe -- what "obvious" facts of
    long-distance bicycling had to be revised? (e.g. "I couldn't find Gatorade"😉

    Of course if the dollar keeps sliding, I may simply have to stay in the
    States this year...

    dave

  2. Get a folding bike and put in wheeled suitcase and take it everywhere
    http://mavandjen.blogspot.com/2007/02/downtube-in-suitcase.htmlhttp://www.downtube.com/How_To_Pack_a_Folding_Bike_in_a_Suitcase/
    Here is a folding bike forum
    http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221

  3. go see the www.bikefriday.com website. What you do is buy the bike and its
    suitcase. You take your clothes in a duffel bag. Once you get where you're
    going, you unfold the bike and throw your duffel into the suitcase which
    turns into a trailer with wheels. It's a well-built, durable bike and the
    trailer idea really works. I rode all over Ireland two years ago with this
    setup. When you get to a pub for lunch, you lock the bike and trailer to a
    post--no worries about someone stealing your panniers. And you can take the
    suitcase into your hotel room. Meanwhile, the airlines do not charge extra
    for the bike because it is in a regular-sized Samsonite suitcase.

  4. Dave Rusin said:

    So this year, as I contemplate my annual long bike ride, I am also
    planning a business trip, and I realized I could combine both. But
    there are logistical questions I've never faced before so I turn
    to the assembled pros for help.

    I do long rides -- last year was Philadelphia to (Truro) Nova Scotia;
    typical pace has been 150 km/day, for a week or two. I'm open to any ride
    that's "interesting".

    My business travel will force me to change planes in Europe, probably
    London. I had planned to do my long ride before the business trip, but
    then I realized I could fly to Europe early, ride there, and then
    continue my business trip. I've never ridden in Europe before, so
    any ride there would be new and interesting.

    But there are tricky things to figure out.

    1. Any suggestions for what I could do with my work supplies for a
    week while riding? For example, are there secure lockers in Heathrow?

    I'm not totally following you here. Where do you need to be for business
    ..... and are you riding there? What airport(s) are you coming in to and
    leaving from? Where are you riding to and from? Hopefully, without me
    actually having to know, you'll understand the concept I'm presenting.
    When you arrive (in London? - wherever?) get a room some where. Ask to
    leave your work supplies there until you return to spend another night
    (or more nights) after your bike trip. Do the same with your bike.
    Hotel's (even Inn's and B&B's) with storage space are often happy to
    accommodate you when you are going to be return business.

    Quoted message said:

    2a. If I bring my own bike, how much would I pay (ballpark) to ship
    it back to the US after riding?

    On most European carriers it will cost nothing. A boxed bike will be
    considered one of your two checked bags. It's mostly the US based
    airlines (and all of the US based airlines, I believe) that charge what
    I would guess is close to $100 each way at this point. Either way,
    having your bike travel with you is convenient and a comfort.

    Quoted message said:

    I like my own bike (Giant OCR 1) but it starts to look like schlepping it
    back and forth across the ocean will be a lot of trouble; hence ..

    No more trouble than it takes to box it.

    Quoted message said:

    2b. Are there places where one could rent a good road bike for a week or two?

    I suggest you bring your own bike. You're suited to it.

    Quoted message said:

    3. A potential itinerary would have me fly through London but ride from,
    say, Paris to Warsaw. I'm just assuming there is a provision to put a bike
    on the train through the Channel Tunnel?

    I don't know that one, but there must be.

    Quoted message said:

    At this point, the whole trip is just a (crazy?) idea,

    It's brilliant.

    Quoted message said:

    .... I can stumble along in a lot of the likely languages,

    And that's all you'll need to do.

    Quoted message said:

    the surprises that experienced American riders had when they first rode in Europe --

    Uhmmmmm ...... Finding a cold drink outside of a bar .... Uhhhh ..... No
    Gator Ade?. Shopping hours may be restricted compared to the US.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  5. On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:36:22 -0700 in rec.bicycles.rides, Chuck

    Anderson said:
    Quoted message said:

    3. A potential itinerary would have me fly through London but ride from,
    say, Paris to Warsaw. I'm just assuming there is a provision to put a bike
    on the train through the Channel Tunnel?

    I don't know that one, but there must be.

    The Eurostar, like the high speed French TGV trains, requires
    that you pack your bike with the wheels off in a special bag
    (easily purchased in Brit bike shops). That makes it difficult
    to use a bike with full panniers and front and rear racks, though
    it might work with a bike that has only a rear rack.

    Beware of riding in Britain, because your natural tendency will
    be to ride on the right instead of the left, and to turn into the
    right hand lane instead of the left one when making turns. You
    also need to change your habit of looking to the left for
    oncoming traffic in cross roads, and instead look to the right.

    I was able to store a bunch of stuff that I didn't need for my
    '04 Tour de France visit at the B&B I stayed at in England, and
    retrieve it on my way back to Heathrow.

    For maps, Michelin issues some excellent ones, and their website
    is great for planning European trips. http://www.viamichelin.com

    Check the Trento Bike Pages for trip descriptions
    http://www.trentobike.org/

  6. Dave Rusin wrote:
    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    3. A potential itinerary would have me fly through London but ride from,
    say, Paris to Warsaw.


    [...]

    In Wasaw, Poland you should be very carefull - 80% car drivers do not
    like cyclists...

    Have you seen this site?:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/
    There are many journals and practical info from all the world.

    --

    All The Best
    ----
    "Freedom is the state of mind"

  7. Dennis P. Harris said:

    On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 22:36:22 -0700 in rec.bicycles.rides, Chuck

    Anderson said:
    Quoted message said:

    3. A potential itinerary would have me fly through London but ride from,
    say, Paris to Warsaw. I'm just assuming there is a provision to put a bike
    on the train through the Channel Tunnel?


    I don't know that one, but there must be.

    The Eurostar, like the high speed French TGV trains, requires
    that you pack your bike with the wheels off in a special bag
    (easily purchased in Brit bike shops). That makes it difficult
    to use a bike with full panniers and front and rear racks, though
    it might work with a bike that has only a rear rack.

    There is a commercial shuttle that takes bicycles through the Chunnel:
    http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcPassengers/ukcProductsServices/ukcTicketsAndFares/
    Scroll down the left side to "Bicycles" (16£ - one way). Availability is
    dependent on the "volume of traffic and the discretion of the shuttle
    driver," .... or - it would seem - you can make a reservation.

    Or you can take a ferry to the French coast for about the same price in
    about an hour and a half.

    Quoted message said:

    Beware of riding in Britain, because your natural tendency will
    be to ride on the right instead of the left,

    I had no problem adjusting. I just "fit in." (That's what all the cars
    are doing, too.)

    But do mind the gap. ô¿Ô¬

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
    http://www.CycleTourist.com
    Nothing he's got he really needs
    Twenty first century schizoid man.
    ***********************************

  8. (Dave Rusin) said:

    So this year, as I contemplate my annual long bike ride, I am also
    planning a business trip, and I realized I could combine both. But
    there are logistical questions I've never faced before so I turn
    to the assembled pros for help.

    I do long rides -- last year was Philadelphia to (Truro) Nova Scotia;
    typical pace has been 150 km/day, for a week or two. I'm open to any ride
    that's "interesting".

    My business travel will force me to change planes in Europe, probably
    London. I had planned to do my long ride before the business trip, but
    then I realized I could fly to Europe early, ride there, and then
    continue my business trip. I've never ridden in Europe before, so
    any ride there would be new and interesting.

    But there are tricky things to figure out.

    1. Any suggestions for what I could do with my work supplies for a
    week while riding? For example, are there secure lockers in Heathrow?

    2a. If I bring my own bike, how much would I pay (ballpark) to ship
    it back to the US after riding? Or is there a place I could safely park it
    until I return to an airport a couple of weeks later, en route to the US?
    I like my own bike (Giant OCR 1) but it starts to look like schlepping it
    back and forth across the ocean will be a lot of trouble; hence ..

    2b. Are there places where one could rent a good road bike for a week or two?

    3. A potential itinerary would have me fly through London but ride from,
    say, Paris to Warsaw. I'm just assuming there is a provision to put a bike
    on the train through the Channel Tunnel?

    At this point, the whole trip is just a (crazy?) idea, and in particular
    I have no real itinerary. I'm open to suggestions. I could do 1000 km or so.
    Great scenery would be a plus; and I would probably avoid large cities.
    I'm hoping there would be good-quality roads without too much traffic.
    I can handle hills just fine (I crossed Pennsylvania), but would likely
    be undone by a major Alpine route.  The ability to throw up a tent
    sometimes would be great, but hostels and cheap hotels are also welcome.  
    I can stumble along in a lot of the likely languages, though there's
    no question that a route in Britain would simplify that aspect a lot.

    I would be very interested in hearing about the surprises that experienced
    American riders had when they first rode in Europe -- what "obvious" factsof
    long-distance bicycling had to be revised? (e.g. "I couldn't find Gatorade"😉

    Of course if the dollar keeps sliding, I may simply have to stay in the
    States this year...

    dave

    I have combined business travel - in each case a continuing legal
    education seminar - with several days of bike riding, five times, for
    seminars that took place in Bonn, near Rostok, Weimar, Tegernsee and
    Strassbourg. Each time, I took the bike as baggage, and went straight
    to the principal destination, put my bike together there, left my bike
    box and baggage at the hotel/motel/bed and breakfast where I'd be
    staying for the seminar, and had the bike available for local riding
    during the seminar. Twice my bike didn't make the same plane
    connection I did and was delivered to my place of lodging the next
    day, so I rented a bike locally. On one of those occasions, my long
    trip was after the seminar. On the other, I planned long weekend
    trips both before and after the seminar, and on the "before" ride,
    took the rented bike.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.