Eurobike letdown?

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
There sure doesn't seem to be much new or exciting being shown at Eurobike this year.

Look's partnership with Polar to produce pedal based power measurement is interesting....at least until you find out that the system uses Polar's W.I.N.D. wireless transfer and not ANT, which means the users will be plagued with Polars software and forced to use their head units.

Zipp's Firecrest 808's weren't unexpected. It's too bad they haven't released 303's in a similarly updated clincher version.

3T definitely gets points for originality with their new META crankset. We'll see how it performs in the real world and how large the financial penalty will be.

FSA's alleged pursuit of a complete component group seems to be languishing, with only the marketing respirator keeping it alive.

Deda went super sized with their new 35mm diameter handlebars and stems. Why? Who the fψck knows?

If you like expensive Kangaroo leathered shoes, Fizik is now there to satisfy your spending needs.

All Reynolds CF wheels now come with "Swirl Lip Generators", but as has been the case since they were first shown on LEW wheels, there's zero data that says they work or don't.

Velocity is offering a new rim/wheelset that's supposed to offer a "tubular like" ride for 23 mm clinchers. Why? I dunno. Velocity didn't say.

Happily, Rotor continues to paste the world's ugliest graphics on their cranks.

Wish I could have gone there as I'm sure others could attest to.

Kangaroo leather cycling shoes?? Huh? I have a few pairs of kang leather Adidas Predator etc soccer cleats myself- one pair going back 13yrs. Wonder why it took so long for the cycling world to try? usually a little thinner than cowhide(better ball feel/touch), more supple, and more resistant to water. at least that's according to Adidas. Either way...i love all of them. Nice feel and noticeably softer than moo-moo skin.

FSA groupset? I wouldn't mind seeing another player. Providing they make parts that aren't too brand specific and hopefully compatible with others. ala SRAM.

DEDA's 35mm bars?? hahaa. WTF?? Maybe for those with XXXXL hands. I agree Alien....retarded!!

I remember recently reading about an interesting crankset...either by LOOK or TIME. adjustable length positioning. eg. 168-170-172.5 all by dialing in the fastening bolt to 3 choices on the crank arm. i thought that was pretty cool.

CdnRider said:
Wish I could have gone there as I'm sure others could attest to.

Kangaroo leather cycling shoes?? Huh? I have a few pairs of kang leather Adidas Predator etc soccer cleats myself- one pair going back 13yrs. Wonder why it took so long for the cycling world to try? usually a little thinner than cowhide(better ball feel/touch), more supple, and more resistant to water. at least that's according to Adidas. Either way...i love all of them. Nice feel and noticeably softer than moo-moo skin.

I don't think kangaroos think much of kangaroo hide products....it is supple, abrasion resistant stuff, though. When I were racing motorcycles, my favorite gloves were made from kangaroo hide. They offered great feel on the throttle and levers, while providing stellar protection whenever I found myself sliding along an asphalt race track at stupid speeds.

There was this cool kids bike at Eurobike, shown in someone's online photo album. It's a pretty slick little bike.

Agreed with Al's assessment of Eurobike 2010. Nothing really new and exciting. Same old in a slightly improved and different packaging.

I believe kangaroo hides have shown up on cycling shoes in the past. The most recent example that I can recall were from France's Carnac. I remember the high end Carnac Greg Lemonds and maybe another model or two from the 90's used kangaroo uppers. Carnacs were great shoes in their day, but the brand seems to have all but disappeared in the past decade - at least in NA anyway.

Deda's 35mm bar/stem is a way for them to create another "must have" craze and stimulate that side of the market again - they first did it with 31.7. Once other brands jump on board, folks will no doubt line up to upgrade their perfectly good 26's and 31.7's.