Eurosport reaction to Armstrongs tactics against Simeoni

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
"Lance Armstrong is a patron," five-time Tour de France winner Bernard Hinault -- himself a former "boss" of the peloton -- said Sunday after Armstrong staked his sixth claim at the world's greatest bike race. Being the boss is a big job. Some think Armstrong should be fired.

The silence in the Tour de France pressroom was palpable, the typing and chatter hushed by an unbelievable announcement on race radio: "The yellow jersey attacks!"

That Lance Armstrong should go on the offensive was not the shocker -- the American rode the 2004 race from on high, attacking at will to pocket five individual stage wins (six including the team-time-trial) during the three-week, 20-stage race.

The mind-bender early on this July 23 afternoon was why on earth would Armstrong attack here: On the heels of Domina Vacanze rider Filippo Simeoni, looking to bridge up to a six-man breakaway 30 km into Stage 18's 166.5 km medium-mountain race from Annemasse to Lons-le-Saulnier, France.

Stage 18 was the day after the high Pyrenees, a return to more mortal altitudes where the Juan Antonio Flechas and the Juan Miguel Mercados of the pack -- riders out of the overall contention but hungry for a shot at a stage -- were expected to duke it out at the day's end.
Flecha and Mercado -- both members of the six-man escape -- were about to get backstabbed by Armstrong.
With the yellow jersey in the midst of the break, the rest of the race's overall contenders (Ullrich, Kloden, Basso) would have no choice but to chase, obliterating the breakaway's advantage.

Armstrong, of course, had nothing against Flecha or eventual stage winner Mercado.
His beef was with Filippo Simeoni.

Far from friends, Armstrong and Simeoni are mired in a war of words that has escalated to charges of defamation brought against the now six-time Tour champ by Simeoni.
The Italian found himself the target of Armstrong's anger after publicly condemning the alleged doping activity of Dr. Michele Ferrari, an Italian who is recognised as the chemical architect behind some of cycling's more dubious teams.
"EPO is no more dangerous than orange juice," Ferrari once famously told French sports daily L'Equipe.
Armstrong, who has never hidden his friendship with Dr. Ferrari, took umbrage with Simeoni's statements, lambasting the Domina Vacanze cyclist as a "liar and fabricator," which hence prompted the launching of the latter's defamation suit.
"[Simeoni] is not a rider the pack wants to see off the front," Armstrong said after Stage 18, speaking briefly on his successful effort to deny Simeoni from sweeping up even the slightest stage crumb.
"If he had won, I'm sure he would have attacked the sport, taking to his soapbox to say bad things, that he was a clean rider, blah, blah, blah."
"I [chased him down] to protect the best interests of the peloton," Armstrong said, adding that when he and Simeoni -- the Italian having gotten the message -- drifted back to the pack, Armstrong was "patted on the back. A lot of riders thanked me," said the 32-year-old Texan.

The real reaction in the peloton may have been more tempered, nervous smiles and amused shrugs of shoulders.
What the boss wants, the boss gets.

"Simeoni should have been allowed to do his job. He's a professional cyclist who should have had the right to join a breakaway without being swarmed upon by the yellow jersey," former pro and now French television analyst Laurent Jalabert said after the incident.
Diplomatic and self-assured, Lance Armstrong has created an ironclad media skin. He knows how to spin a question and he knows how to punctuate another with emotion-perfected sound bytes.
Every aspect of his PR personae is tailored to project an image: Armstrong as the irreproachable CEO of cycling.

To see Armstrong, therefore, brandish a personal vendetta on the public stage of the Tour de France is more than disquieting -- it's uncalled for.

"I have to admit I was disappointed to witness what he did," said former world road race champion Luc Leblanc, echoing the sentiments of race director Jean-Marie Leblanc and chief race judge Mirco Monti, who defined the incident as "regrettable."

Armstrong is -- usually -- an exemplary patron of the pack. He's earned the job, fully filling the shoes of Bernard Hinault and Eddy Merckx before him.
But with the title comes power -- and like the country from which he is from, Armstrong may not always know how to use it

limerickman said:
"Lance Armstrong is a patron," five-time Tour de France winner Bernard Hinault -- himself a former "boss" of the peloton -- said Sunday after Armstrong staked his sixth claim at the world's greatest bike race. Being the boss is a big job. Some think Armstrong should be fired.

The silence in the Tour de France pressroom was palpable, the typing and chatter hushed by an unbelievable announcement on race radio: "The yellow jersey attacks!"

That Lance Armstrong should go on the offensive was not the shocker -- the American rode the 2004 race from on high, attacking at will to pocket five individual stage wins (six including the team-time-trial) during the three-week, 20-stage race.

The mind-bender early on this July 23 afternoon was why on earth would Armstrong attack here: On the heels of Domina Vacanze rider Filippo Simeoni, looking to bridge up to a six-man breakaway 30 km into Stage 18's 166.5 km medium-mountain race from Annemasse to Lons-le-Saulnier, France.

Stage 18 was the day after the high Pyrenees, a return to more mortal altitudes where the Juan Antonio Flechas and the Juan Miguel Mercados of the pack -- riders out of the overall contention but hungry for a shot at a stage -- were expected to duke it out at the day's end.
Flecha and Mercado -- both members of the six-man escape -- were about to get backstabbed by Armstrong.
With the yellow jersey in the midst of the break, the rest of the race's overall contenders (Ullrich, Kloden, Basso) would have no choice but to chase, obliterating the breakaway's advantage.

Armstrong, of course, had nothing against Flecha or eventual stage winner Mercado.
His beef was with Filippo Simeoni.

Far from friends, Armstrong and Simeoni are mired in a war of words that has escalated to charges of defamation brought against the now six-time Tour champ by Simeoni.
The Italian found himself the target of Armstrong's anger after publicly condemning the alleged doping activity of Dr. Michele Ferrari, an Italian who is recognised as the chemical architect behind some of cycling's more dubious teams.
"EPO is no more dangerous than orange juice," Ferrari once famously told French sports daily L'Equipe.
Armstrong, who has never hidden his friendship with Dr. Ferrari, took umbrage with Simeoni's statements, lambasting the Domina Vacanze cyclist as a "liar and fabricator," which hence prompted the launching of the latter's defamation suit.
"[Simeoni] is not a rider the pack wants to see off the front," Armstrong said after Stage 18, speaking briefly on his successful effort to deny Simeoni from sweeping up even the slightest stage crumb.
"If he had won, I'm sure he would have attacked the sport, taking to his soapbox to say bad things, that he was a clean rider, blah, blah, blah."
"I [chased him down] to protect the best interests of the peloton," Armstrong said, adding that when he and Simeoni -- the Italian having gotten the message -- drifted back to the pack, Armstrong was "patted on the back. A lot of riders thanked me," said the 32-year-old Texan.

The real reaction in the peloton may have been more tempered, nervous smiles and amused shrugs of shoulders.
What the boss wants, the boss gets.

"Simeoni should have been allowed to do his job. He's a professional cyclist who should have had the right to join a breakaway without being swarmed upon by the yellow jersey," former pro and now French television analyst Laurent Jalabert said after the incident.
Diplomatic and self-assured, Lance Armstrong has created an ironclad media skin. He knows how to spin a question and he knows how to punctuate another with emotion-perfected sound bytes.
Every aspect of his PR personae is tailored to project an image: Armstrong as the irreproachable CEO of cycling.

To see Armstrong, therefore, brandish a personal vendetta on the public stage of the Tour de France is more than disquieting -- it's uncalled for.

"I have to admit I was disappointed to witness what he did," said former world road race champion Luc Leblanc, echoing the sentiments of race director Jean-Marie Leblanc and chief race judge Mirco Monti, who defined the incident as "regrettable."

Armstrong is -- usually -- an exemplary patron of the pack. He's earned the job, fully filling the shoes of Bernard Hinault and Eddy Merckx before him.
But with the title comes power -- and like the country from which he is from, Armstrong may not always know how to use it
Well, there is a nice, unbiased article. After all, they assert the peloton didn't necessarily agree with Armstrong, but quote no one from the peloton to prove that, just former racers. They also don't even bother to find out if anyone might have agreed with Armstrong. I suppose, at the end of the day, this won't change anyone's previously held opinions, but this isn't reporting--it's an op-ed piece, and thus should be taken as nothing but the collection of opinion that it is.

mojomarc said:
Well, there is a nice, unbiased article. After all, they assert the peloton didn't necessarily agree with Armstrong, but quote no one from the peloton to prove that, just former racers. They also don't even bother to find out if anyone might have agreed with Armstrong. I suppose, at the end of the day, this won't change anyone's previously held opinions, but this isn't reporting--it's an op-ed piece, and thus should be taken as nothing but the collection of opinion that it is.
i was a little surprised as well...
but he had to make a point...and he did

mojomarc said:

www.cyclingnews.com reports that several members of the peloton were unhappy with LA behaviour : David Etaxxberria being one.

From another member of the peloton...

Andrea Peron: He can do as he please's, Simeoni lost a few friends in the Peleton over his statements as it affected others not only Armstrong, so the peleton wouldn't have ever let him go......Simeoni created this situation himself! I'm not taking sides just saying that it could have been avoided!

limerickman said:
"Lance Armstrong is a patron," five-time Tour de France winner Bernard Hinault -- himself a former "boss" of the peloton ETC...
Limerick, I wish not to create a another combative post, which by the way I apologize if I offended you with the drunken Irishmen incenuation. That is not a stereotype I buy into.

Many of your posts are biased to the belief that LA is evil, that he is doping, that he abuses his role as "The Boss". As I have already stated in previous posts you cite alot of pre-cancer facts-you draw upon other cyclists inuendo-you even draw upon your now contacts in the peloton. What is your real connection to the cycling world. What is your mission. Do you simply wish to create a discussion, do you wish to convince those who do not believe LA dopes?

The Simeoni incident was indeed unfortunate and Lance was less than tactful in his actions. But it would seem this is the only incident in which we have valid proof LA did something wrong. By now you know I am a LA fan. What I am driving at is this: I think you are holding back. Why? Lets see what real proof you can provide that I, for one, think you have.

That is not an accurate quote.

limerickman "Simeoni should have been allowed to do his job. He's a professional cyclist who should have had the right to join a breakaway without being swarmed upon by the yellow jersey said:
Lance should be allowed to do his job without hearing a bunch of whining...How dare Armstrong, a fellow cyclist run this guy down. Yes lance decked out in flak jacket and night vision goggles and pumped full of EPO..

Maybe Simeoni instead of running his trap, should train a little harder and perhaps he could outrun Lance...

Personally, I don't blame him for running him down...but, thats just me...

I think it was bad form for Armstrong to chase Simeoni. As a professional, he shouldn't carry his personal grudges with him to the race. Especially the biggest, most widely publicized cycling race in the world. Armstrong seems to consider himself the consumate professional and he should act like it.

How do you say "Who's your daddy?" in Italian?

Regardless of your insight into the sport of cylcing, everyone on this board should remember that at this level, it's a business, a job and all about money.

To paraphrase an old saying "...don't **** where you eat.." and I think Lance made that point.

Like Tiger in golf, LA has brought millions to the sport not only in dollars and endorsements but potential viewers and consumers. How dare Simeoni think he could embarass the "rainmaker?"

Do you really think Nike would have gone after the sponsership of the TDF jerseys if LA was not involved? Of course NOT!

What really has incensed the 'euros' is the knowledge that American capital and might can truly overcome their petty behavior.

Love him or hate him, LA has been good for a sport that with the potential drug scandals of the 90's could have become in the minds of the US consumer something akin to pro wrestling.

zapper said:
limerickman "Simeoni should have been allowed to do his job. He's a professional cyclist who should have had the right to join a breakaway without being swarmed upon by the yellow jersey said:
Lance should be allowed to do his job without hearing a bunch of whining...How dare Armstrong, a fellow cyclist run this guy down. Yes lance decked out in flak jacket and night vision goggles and pumped full of EPO..

Maybe Simeoni instead of running his trap, should train a little harder and perhaps he could outrun Lance...

Personally, I don't blame him for running him down...but, thats just me...

It's funny that when this weaker rider participated in a breakaway and was not in contention for the GC, he felt that it was his right to be allowed to vie for the stage win. Having a lousy GC placing is not a medal of honor. Nor should it be a guaranteed ticket for a breakaway win, although most of the time, these breakaway riders are allowed to have their day in the sun until they get reeled back in.

When a weak rider makes a big stink about getting caught and then hides behind a public proclamation that it was a personal vendetta--strong rider against small rider--I'd say he's making a big plea for public sympathy. Well, he doesn't get any of mine. The improved odds on breakaways for weak riders is a gift which does not always have to be granted.

DiabloScott said:

That is not an accurate quote.

This is agood example of how biased the French media are and particularly L'Equipe. Here is the goods on the actual interview from cyclingnews:

"Jean-Michel Rouet: Speaking of EPO, do your riders use it?

Dr Michele Ferrari: I don't prescribe this stuff. But one can buy EPO in Switzerrland for example without a prescription, and if a riders does, that doesn't scandalize me. EPO doesn't fundamentally change the performance of a racer.

J-MR: In any case, (EPO) is dangerous! Ten Dutch riders have died in the last few years.

Dr MF: EPO is not dangerous, it's the abuse that is. It's also dangerous to drink 10 liters of orange juice."

Simeone portrays himself as a victim and others will go along for the ride. Frankly I was surprised Simeone attacked. Look when he did it. Just as the peloton was entering the city. The final stage has become recently a parade in honor for the winner. Frankly Simeone may want a crumb but to race out in front of the 6th time winner on the last day while he entering the city. I think Lance wanted him to be sure of who that day really belonged to. Secondly you need to be careful of who you make your enemy no matter what your job is. Why should this be any different in cycling? What would be the outcome if you did a similar act in your job? Why do we expect Lance to act a certain way? Frankly has earned the right to act any way he pleases. In the end did you even see much coverage of Lance actually crossing the finish line that day?

gntlmn said:
It's funny that when this weaker rider participated in a breakaway and was not in contention for the GC, he felt that it was his right to be allowed to vie for the stage win. Having a lousy GC placing is not a medal of honor. Nor should it be a guaranteed ticket for a breakaway win, although most of the time, these breakaway riders are allowed to have their day in the sun until they get reeled back in. When a weak rider makes a big stink about getting caught and then hides behind a public proclamation that it was a personal vendetta--strong rider against small rider--I'd say he's making a big plea for public sympathy. Well, he doesn't get any of mine. The improved odds on breakaways for weak riders is a gift which does not always have to be granted.

Agreed. Nobody in the peloton has any entitlement to have a chance at a stage win or to be in a breakaway. It's whatever each team and the peloton allow. No team or rider has to have a reason to chase or pull back any other rider, although I agree there are social/group norms within the peloton. The peloton or any team or any rider can decide to do what it wants. Weaker GC positioned riders have no greater entitlement than stronger ones, although weaker ones might be allowed to go. But allowed is the key word -- it's not entitlement.

True, realistically LA's joining the breakaway group would have doomed it. But that is as much T-Mobile and CSC's choices as it is LA. True, everybody knew they had to chase. But so what?

For example, LA didn't have to let Virenque get ahead and wrap up all the KOM points. But he chose to. Had LA reeled Virenque in, Virenque could not have complained. But of course virenque is not so stupid as to get on LA's bad side. ;)

mojomarc said:
I agree. Bunch of wimps.

limerickman said:
This last line is pathetic and uncalled for. Regardless of what you think about the current US administration, they are trying to lump together LA with everything else about the United States.

gntlmn said:
When a weak rider makes a big stink about getting caught and then hides behind a public proclamation that it was a personal vendetta--strong rider against small rider--I'd say he's making a big plea for public sympathy.

But it was a personal vendetta. Hence Lance's comments about "protecting the peleton" and the zip the lips gesture.

And Simeoni could have made a much bigger stink, but he withheld from telling the media what he and LA talked about on their way back to the peleton.

Quit trying to obfuscate an obvious situation.

Bad form is bad form. Smeared an othwise brilliant ride! no wonder so many people dislike him despite his obvious talent!