Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Ever Ride in City Traffic?

Started by NYC XYZ · · Last activity · 37 posts · 1,884 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
18 July 2005
Last activity
21 July 2005
Original author
NYC XYZ
Posts
37
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,884
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 37
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. NYC, that is! On a weekday in mid-town Manhattan? I did bike
    messenging for almost two months one summer -- only job where I wish I
    had more time in the day for (second hardest after Army infantry, no
    joke!) -- and now that I'm curious about recumbents, I'm trying to
    picture myself in all kinds of situations.

    How do you lock up a 'bent, anyway?

    Is it good for weaving in and out of traffic?

    Does it brake just like an upright?

    Is it harder to go real slow?

    Ever run red lights with them?

    How would they fare on the sidewalk? How well do they go over curbs
    and speed bumps?

    Ever get mugged on one? (Serious! Twice I had to jet away from some
    miscreants in broad daylight in the parks.)

    And apparently they make lots of squeaky noises??

    And they're actually worse for certain kinds of back problems???

  2. Many moons ago, I commuted into NYC on an upright (over the GWB into
    midtown). At the risk of getting flamed, I would not ride a recumbent
    in NYC. The reasons are many: acceleration, jumping curbs and potholes,
    visibility, etc. Maybe someone here will disagree with me and set me
    straight, but that is my 2 cents worth.

  3. "rBOB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Many moons ago, I commuted into NYC on an upright (over the GWB into
    midtown). At the risk of getting flamed, I would not ride a recumbent
    in NYC. The reasons are many: acceleration, jumping curbs and potholes,
    visibility, etc. Maybe someone here will disagree with me and set me
    straight, but that is my 2 cents worth.

    rBOB is right. Recumbents really don't work all that well in heavy city
    traffic, especially for something as wild as bike messaging. You want to be
    on an upright where you can be like a deer. On a recumbent, you will be like
    a hedgehog and nothing but an accident waiting to happen.

    I have deleted the other newsgroups as posting a message to more than one
    newsgroup is an abomination. There ought to be a law against it.

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

  4. "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    NYC, that is! On a weekday in mid-town Manhattan? I did bike
    messenging for almost two months one summer -- only job where I wish I
    had more time in the day for (second hardest after Army infantry, no
    joke!) -- and now that I'm curious about recumbents, I'm trying to
    picture myself in all kinds of situations.

    How do you lock up a 'bent, anyway?

    Is it good for weaving in and out of traffic?

    Does it brake just like an upright?

    Is it harder to go real slow?

    Ever run red lights with them?

    How would they fare on the sidewalk? How well do they go over curbs
    and speed bumps?

    Ever get mugged on one? (Serious! Twice I had to jet away from some
    miscreants in broad daylight in the parks.)

    And apparently they make lots of squeaky noises??

    And they're actually worse for certain kinds of back problems???

    Why post this message to multiple newsgroups when what you want to know will
    only be found on ARBR.

    I once spent several years in NYC and never saw a single recumbent bicycle.
    Forget nyc.general.

    Rec.bicycles.misc is too miscellaneous for any information of a worthwhile
    nature.

    If you want to know something about recumbents, then post to ARBR and only
    to ARBR. After all, we are the experts on the subject of recumbents. All you
    will get from other newsgroups is a lot of bum information.

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

  5. Edward Dolan said:


    Why post this message to multiple newsgroups when what you want to know will
    only be found on ARBR.

    I doubt that. I didn't even know ARBR existed until half-way through
    my research into recumbents!

    Quoted message said:

    I once spent several years in NYC and never saw a single recumbent bicycle.
    Forget nyc.general.

    You tend to see them mostly during the annual 5 Boro Bike Tour, but you
    know, it was this past Thursday, when I saw the stereotypical fat
    bearded middle-aged white guy on a 'bent that I remembered my long-ago
    interest in those bikes.

    Quoted message said:

    Rec.bicycles.misc is too miscellaneous for any information of a worthwhile
    nature.

    I dunno...was hoping there'd be folks like myself, upright riders who
    also believe in the virtues of a 'bent.

    I guess I'll stick to my Trek 7500FX for NYC, then, and use a 'bent for
    other travels.

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to know something about recumbents, then post to ARBR and only
    to ARBR. After all, we are the experts on the subject of recumbents. All you
    will get from other newsgroups is a lot of bum information.

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

    Yes, Your Cycleness!

    Hmm...is it not possible to have a rather more upright position -- but
    still relatively reclined compared to real uprights -- and maybe front
    wheel drive? Someone ought to design a bike that's half-way between an
    upright and a 'bent...it'd be more upright than 'bent, but still
    recognizably non-upright...the legs are elevated just enough to allow
    for a real seat, but an upright otherwise so as to be manuverable....

  6. Like http://www.easyracers.com/ ?

  7. NYC XYZ said:

    NYC, that is! On a weekday in mid-town Manhattan? I did bike
    messenging for almost two months one summer -- only job where I wish I
    had more time in the day for (second hardest after Army infantry, no
    joke!) -- and now that I'm curious about recumbents, I'm trying to
    picture myself in all kinds of situations.


    <snip>

    I've never ridden in NYC. As far as major cities go, I've only ridden
    in Atlanta, GA, Birmingham, AL, and Paris, France.

    Paris was easily the scariest. Also, it was my first time riding on the
    streets of a major city ever, so let's throw that one out.

    Atlanta and B'ham: There's no way these towns even compare to the
    ruggedness required for NYC. And I can't even imagine riding a
    recumbent in those places. So NYC just seems out of the question to me.

    --
    Paul M. Hobson
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    http://www.underthecouch.org
    ..:you may want to fix my email
    address before you send anything:.

  8. NYC XYZ asked:

    Quoted message said:

    How do you lock up a 'bent, anyway?

    I use a motorcycle cable and Master padlock.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it good for weaving in and out of traffic?

    No.

    Quoted message said:

    Does it brake just like an upright?

    Better, because there's no danger of a header.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it harder to go real slow?

    At first, yes -- but with practice, not much.

    Quoted message said:

    Ever run red lights with them?

    No. Running a red light in city traffic can be the last stupid mistake
    you ever get to make.

    Quoted message said:

    How would they fare on the sidewalk?

    Not as maneouverable as an upright.

    Quoted message said:

    How well do they go over curbs and speed bumps?

    Not well.

    Quoted message said:

    Ever get mugged on one?

    No. I was mugged on my upright by two attackers, though. After I
    flat-backed the first one, the second one shagged ass. I'm not a good
    choice of target by a mugger: I don't carry money or valuables, but I do
    carry over 200 pounds of bad attitude.

    Quoted message said:

    And apparently they make lots of squeaky noises??

    No.

    Quoted message said:

    And they're actually worse for certain kinds of back problems???

    I can't imagine the kind of back problem for which a recumbent is worse
    than an upright.

    --
    "Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much
    to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes,
    it has not died out." -- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

  9. "Paul Hobson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Paris was easily the scariest. Also, it was my first time riding on the
    streets of a major city ever, so let's throw that one out.

    Yet I loved cycling in Paris - the Parisian rush hour was so easy! Yes, it
    was busy, but the motorists had such an excellent attitude to cyclists,
    giving me loads of room. As well as me cycling, my husband and our then 14
    year-old son cycled said Parisian rush hour, and we all thought the same. At
    the hotel where we were staying was an American (Texan, but no, not that
    one) who was also cycling and he too thought cycling in Paris was fun. Are
    we talking the same Paris? ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  10. I ride in NYC traffic and I see recumbents from time to time,
    especially with the critical mass groups. Even with the 8 foot flags,
    the fear I have is cars can't see that low.

    I was off the bike for five years and then popped into a shop and test
    rode a carbon fiber bianchi through Times Square in rush hour, I was
    hooked.

    People ask me, but I explain you never forget how to ride, it's just
    like riding a bicycle, you never forget!

    How is that for clever?

  11. NYC XYZ said:

    NYC, that is! On a weekday in mid-town Manhattan? I did bike
    messenging for almost two months one summer -- only job where I wish I
    had more time in the day for (second hardest after Army infantry, no
    joke!) -- and now that I'm curious about recumbents, I'm trying to
    picture myself in all kinds of situations.

    Most of the questions you ask don't have specific answers, because
    'bents are not a single functional class of cycle, just a general
    description of the seating layout. What goes for a BikeE will not
    necessarily go for an Anthrotech touring trike, and what goes for that
    probably has little to do with what will go for an M5 Lowracer.

    Quoted message said:

    How do you lock up a 'bent, anyway?

    Most have some sort of frame/wheel interface where you do it same as you
    would a DF. But not all of them.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it good for weaving in and out of traffic?

    As above, /very/ much implementation dependent. A compact city 'bent
    like the HPVel Spirit, pretty good, a lowracer or a long wheelbase
    tourer will suck at it Bigtime.

    Quoted message said:

    Does it brake just like an upright?

    Most of them brake considerably better. With a lower centre of mass
    there's far less tendency to disappear over the bars, so usually a skid
    is the worst you can manage. Being usually pricier, 'bents are
    typically aimed at a market who appreciate more expensive things, like
    hydraulic disc brakes, and that can be a factor too.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it harder to go real slow?

    On a bike, as a rule of thumb the lower the seat is the harder really
    slow travel is. On a trike, you can do an indefinite track stand if
    you want to.

    Quoted message said:

    Ever run red lights with them?

    Same as on an upwrong, something that is possible, but I don't do,
    'cause it's Very Dumb.

    Quoted message said:

    How would they fare on the sidewalk?

    Same as on an upwrong, depends on the other population and not something
    I go in for.

    Quoted message said:

    How well do they go over curbs and speed bumps?

    You typically can't hop the front wheel, so going up kerbs is a question
    of wheel size and suspension. Going down them isn't really a problem
    IME. Speed bumps will also vary with wheel size and suspension, but you
    won't go over the bars if you hit a nasty one unexpectedly.

    Quoted message said:

    Ever get mugged on one? (Serious! Twice I had to jet away from some
    miscreants in broad daylight in the parks.)

    I haven't been...

    Quoted message said:

    And apparently they make lots of squeaky noises??

    Oh. Mine doesn't. No particular reason they should be squeakier than
    any other bike AFAICT.

    Quoted message said:

    And they're actually worse for certain kinds of back problems???

    For /some/, yes. But probably a typical upwrong crouch will be worse
    for rather more. If your back problem is made worse by a recumbent
    position then something /really/ upright (maybe a Pedersen) would be a
    possibility in the other direction worth considering.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  12. "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Paul Hobson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Paris was easily the scariest. Also, it was my first time riding on the
    streets of a major city ever, so let's throw that one out.

    Yet I loved cycling in Paris - the Parisian rush hour was so easy! Yes, it
    was busy, but the motorists had such an excellent attitude to cyclists,
    giving me loads of room. As well as me cycling, my husband and our then 14
    year-old son cycled said Parisian rush hour, and we all thought the same.
    At the hotel where we were staying was an American (Texan, but no, not
    that one) who was also cycling and he too thought cycling in Paris was
    fun. Are we talking the same Paris? ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    helen s most likely has Paris, France confused with Paris, Texas. Paris,
    Texas is doubtless a fun town in which to ride a bicycle. Paris, France is a
    haven for traitors and cowards to the West and a real American would not be
    caught dead there on a bicycle - or on anything else either for that matter.
    Let us leave the despicable French to themselves. The less said about them
    the better.

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

  13. "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Edward Dolan said:


    Why post this message to multiple newsgroups when what you want to know
    will
    only be found on ARBR.

    I doubt that. I didn't even know ARBR existed until half-way through
    my research into recumbents!

    We are an elite group of cyclists and we do not often deign to honor others
    with our august presence.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I once spent several years in NYC and never saw a single recumbent
    bicycle.
    Forget nyc.general.

    You tend to see them mostly during the annual 5 Boro Bike Tour, but you
    know, it was this past Thursday, when I saw the stereotypical fat
    bearded middle-aged white guy on a 'bent that I remembered my long-ago
    interest in those bikes.

    That must have been Larry Varney of this group that you saw. He is old, he
    is ugly and he has a white beard down to his knees. He is from Kentucky but
    he likes to get around and do tours in various parts of the country.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Rec.bicycles.misc is too miscellaneous for any information of a
    worthwhile
    nature.

    I dunno...was hoping there'd be folks like myself, upright riders who
    also believe in the virtues of a 'bent.

    Nope, ARBR is your best bet. Most upright cyclists do not know squat about
    recumbents, and what they think they do know is mostly wrong.

    Quoted message said:

    I guess I'll stick to my Trek 7500FX for NYC, then, and use a 'bent for
    other travels.

    You have got that right, NYC XYZ!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you want to know something about recumbents, then post to ARBR and
    only
    to ARBR. After all, we are the experts on the subject of recumbents. All
    you
    will get from other newsgroups is a lot of bum information.

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

    Yes, Your Cycleness!

    Jeez! NYC XYZ has got me figured out to perfection after just one post.
    These NYC guys are just plan smarter than us Midwestern yokels. I keep
    telling my local newsgroup (ARBR) that if they can't accept me as their God,
    then they can at the least accept me as their King.

    Quoted message said:

    Hmm...is it not possible to have a rather more upright position -- but
    still relatively reclined compared to real uprights -- and maybe front
    wheel drive? Someone ought to design a bike that's half-way between an
    upright and a 'bent...it'd be more upright than 'bent, but still
    recognizably non-upright...the legs are elevated just enough to allow
    for a real seat, but an upright otherwise so as to be manuverable....

    You do not want any kind of a reclined position for the kind of riding you
    have to do in the big city. New York is not Podunk, or even Minneapolis. If
    and when you want to ride a recumbent, you will have to get out of the city
    and find a sensible sized town.

    I think the only way I would ever ride a recumbent in NYC is on a bike path
    and/or if they closed the streets to automotive traffic. Do they not do this
    in Central Park on weekends? I think it would be one hell of a lot of fun to
    ride a recumbent bike in Central Park. You would be the center of attention.

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

  14. "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    NYC, that is! On a weekday in mid-town Manhattan?

    I've lived in and around NYC all my life. When I was riding into Manhattan
    on a regular basis it was always on an upright. I would be willing to do the
    occasional ride or even commute but I wouldn't want to spend my days zipping
    through midtown traffic on a 'bent. For bent riding I'd limit myself to the
    extreme west side, extreme east side, and Central Park.

    I manage to [censored] enough drivers in the 'burbs by taking up a lane of
    traffic on my trike. I could only imaging how the Manhattanites would find
    it.

    Quoted message said:


    How do you lock up a 'bent, anyway?

    I use a lock that is shaped like a large pair of handcuffs and I use a
    supplimental cable to go through the wheels. Still I wouldn't lock up my
    bike or trike in NYC where it wouldn't be in my constant view.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it good for weaving in and out of traffic?
    Does it brake just like an upright?
    Is it harder to go real slow?
    Ever run red lights with them?
    How would they fare on the sidewalk? How well do they go over curbs
    and speed bumps?

    I think that for this type of riding an upright is going to be better.

    Quoted message said:

    And they're actually worse for certain kinds of back problems???

    That is what I've heard although I don't have back problems. I ride them for
    comfort. If I were working on my bike in NYC I doubt it would be a 'bent.

    There have recently been a lot of Pedicabs in NYC and they are almost all
    upright. I think you want the kind of power and control afforded by an
    upright when you are trying to get through traffic. Bikes are not well
    respected by either pedestrians or drivers in NYC.

  15. NYC XYZ said:

    How do you lock up a 'bent, anyway?

    U-lock around the frame or steering riser

    Quoted message said:

    Is it good for weaving in and out of traffic?

    Depends on the bike. The Speedmachine I use as my #1 commuting bike (in
    central London) is not very good at this; the Kingcycle I ran for many years
    was almost as handy as an upright.

    Quoted message said:

    Does it brake just like an upright?

    Better.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it harder to go real slow?

    Not with practice, though track-stands are out.

    Quoted message said:

    Ever run red lights with them?

    No. Nor on an upright bike or in a motorcar.

    Quoted message said:

    How would they fare on the sidewalk? How well do they go over curbs
    and speed bumps?

    I neither know nor care, coz I ride on the road.

    Quoted message said:

    Ever get mugged on one? (Serious! Twice I had to jet away from some
    miscreants in broad daylight in the parks.)

    No.

    Quoted message said:

    And apparently they make lots of squeaky noises??

    No.

    Quoted message said:

    And they're actually worse for certain kinds of back problems???

    Can't say I've noticed...

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Apparently Guy has now got a Brompton. I'd never have guessed.

  16. On 17 Jul 2005 17:33:54 -0700, "NYC XYZ" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    How do you lock up a 'bent, anyway?

    I use a Master Street Cuff round the main tube behind the steerer.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it good for weaving in and out of traffic?

    Not particularly, a higher bike, maybe with USS, is probably better
    for that than a sports bike like mine.

    Quoted message said:

    Does it brake just like an upright?

    Much better :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Is it harder to go real slow?

    Not really.

    Quoted message said:

    Ever run red lights with them?

    I imagine it's not different than running them on a wedgie, but no I
    don't (on either)

    Quoted message said:

    How would they fare on the sidewalk? How well do they go over curbs
    and speed bumps?

    I have no idea, I have never felt the slightest urge to find out!

    Quoted message said:

    Ever get mugged on one? (Serious! Twice I had to jet away from some
    miscreants in broad daylight in the parks.)

    No. I've never met anyone who could keep up for long :-)

    Quoted message said:

    And apparently they make lots of squeaky noises??

    LOL! So do any bikes if you neglect them! Mine runs pretty much
    silently

    Quoted message said:

    And they're actually worse for certain kinds of back problems???

    Allegedly.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    "Let’s have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
    in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle."
    - Earl Blumenauer

  17. Quoted message said:

    Like http://www.easyracers.com/ ?

    Hey, cool!

    But why is the $5K titanium modeal almost 27 lbs.???

    Would also like a 26/26 version....

  18. I'll go out on a limb here and volunteer the name of a very nice gentleman
    who runs a messenger service in downtown Manhattan that you could talk to
    and possible test ride one of his several recumbents.
    Shelly Mossy [email hidden]
    I borrowed his EZ1 last August for the day
    Any *head first* style vehicle is out of the question for this person no
    matter what the reason.
    LWB oss works well in the tight confines of NYC, SF, Seattle, L.A., Indy
    and Portland
    the only big cities I have had the chance to ride.
    Speedy

    NYC XYZ said:

    NYC, that is! On a weekday in mid-town Manhattan? I did bike
    messenging for almost two months one summer -- only job where I wish I
    had more time in the day for (second hardest after Army infantry, no
    joke!) -- and now that I'm curious about recumbents, I'm trying to
    picture myself in all kinds of situations.

    How do you lock up a 'bent, anyway?

    Is it good for weaving in and out of traffic?

    Does it brake just like an upright?

    Is it harder to go real slow?

    Ever run red lights with them?

    How would they fare on the sidewalk? How well do they go over curbs
    and speed bumps?

    Ever get mugged on one? (Serious! Twice I had to jet away from some
    miscreants in broad daylight in the parks.)

    And apparently they make lots of squeaky noises??

    And they're actually worse for certain kinds of back problems???

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  19. NYC XYZ said:

    How do you lock up a 'bent, anyway?

    Standard issue bicycle chain. Almost nobody rides one, so it's much less
    in demand than ATB's and racebikes.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it good for weaving in and out of traffic?

    Depends on traffic. Very dense city traffic : nope. Any other kind of
    city traffic : yes.

    Quoted message said:

    Does it brake just like an upright?

    Roughly the same to better. Used to ride an ATB with v-brakes, now on a
    Optima Baron with discbrakes. The only difference is that you tend to
    drive the recumbent much faster.

    Quoted message said:

    Is it harder to go real slow?

    Nope and remember practise makes perfect ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    Ever run red lights with them?

    Almost every light I encounter on my daily commute.

    Quoted message said:

    How would they fare on the sidewalk? How well do they go over curbs
    and speed bumps?

    Hmmm. My bike has no springs whatsoever, so in my case real steep bumps
    cause me to slow down. Normal speedbumps are no problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Ever get mugged on one? (Serious! Twice I had to jet away from some
    miscreants in broad daylight in the parks.)

    Nope.

    Quoted message said:

    And apparently they make lots of squeaky noises??

    Nope.

    Quoted message said:

    And they're actually worse for certain kinds of back problems???

    So are uprights. I have a bad back, by the way nothing to do with me
    starting to ride a recumbent. Even bought and tested my bike while being
    under serious pain. Once I'm on the bike the pain is gone.

    My city travels are made in Amsterdam and The Hague (The Netherlands).
    Amsterdam is pretty relaxed compared to the italian like scenes one
    sometimes encounters in the Hague. Been to NYC as well and would drive
    my bike anyday.

    Arnold.

  20. In article <[email hidden]>, NYC

    XYZ said:

    NYC, that is! On a weekday in mid-town Manhattan? I did bike
    messenging for almost two months one summer -- only job where I wish I
    had more time in the day for (second hardest after Army infantry, no
    joke!) -- and now that I'm curious about recumbents, I'm trying to
    picture myself in all kinds of situations.

    There is a documentary called "Pedal" about the messengers in NYC. An
    odd group of people to be sure. (crackheads, one legged riders, jesus
    preachers) I recommend it to anyone that rides a bike. One fellow in
    the movie rides a BikeE for his messenger work.
    Some ride track bikes. Which to me seems completely crazy because these
    track bikes typically don't have brakes. So if you think riding a bent
    in NYC is crazy, there are far crazier bikers on the road than a bent
    rider.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.