General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Excess Skin ??????

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 33 posts · 2,104 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 April 2005
Last activity
11 April 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
33
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,104
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–33 of 33
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    :: In article <[email hidden]>,
    :: spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:
    ::
    ::: Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
    ::::
    :::: spodosaurus wrote:
    ::::
    ::::: Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
    :::::
    :::::: If you've lost that much weight in such a short time, then
    :::::: you've surely lost muscle too. You could try a fitness routine
    :::::: to build muscle and maybe this will help too, how much I don't
    :::::: know as I don't know how
    :::::: bad your skin is hanging.
    :::::
    ::::: Are you suggesting that this guy is going to be able to gain
    ::::: enough muscle to compensate for losing 162.5 pounds??? Maybe if
    ::::: he has access to a lot of anabolic/androgenic steroids, but
    ::::: that's not going to help the skin around his gut. Assuming no
    ::::: steroids, his option is really plastic surgery. The skin on the
    ::::: gut and arms is not going to be filled with muscle after such
    ::::: weight loss.
    :::::
    :::::
    ::::
    :::: No, but I expect the excess skin is not relative to the amount of
    :::: weight lost.
    :::: I expect as he was losing weight, the skin was adjusting, but not
    :::: fast enough
    :::: in comparison to the the weight lost. Therefore bulking up with
    :::: muscle may make the excess skin look less visible.
    :::
    ::: The skin won't adjust very much. When you gain weight, the skin
    ::: grows or gets stretch marks or both. When you lose it, the body
    ::: leaves the excess as-is.
    ::
    :: Somewhat...
    :: I'm anticipating the same problem when I lose the amount of weight
    :: that
    :: I want. I've already spoken with the local plastic surgeon and he
    :: told
    :: me to give it one year to adjust before coming back to him, that it
    :: would shrink back a little.
    ::
    :: He also said that he'd have no problem being able to get the surgery
    :: paid for by my insurance. ;-)
    ::
    :: Weight loss goal: 123 lbs.
    ::
    :: Down 33 so far since Jan 4th.
    ::
    :: Speaking of which, one of the nutrition lists I frequent says that 10
    :: lbs. per month is too much too fast.
    ::
    :: I don't agree.
    ::
    :: Opinions?

    If you want to keep it off, go slower. IMO.

  2. spodosaurus wrote:

    re loose skin after extreme weight loss

    Quoted message said:

    The skin won't adjust very much. When you gain
    weight, the skin grows or gets stretch marks or
    both. When you lose it, the body leaves the
    excess as-is.

    The OP said it's been a year since his weight loss, so I tend to agree
    with you, however not entirely. IFBBer Ken Passerillo, Piazerilo,
    Perserillo, Piasserlli, uh, what in hell was that guy's name? He lost
    an extreme amount of weight and was spared the spare skin.

    And there's also the legendary Bruce Randall, but his weight gain was
    relatively quick as was his consequent weight loss which, I've read,
    contributed to his skin's ability to shrink back without the excess
    hanging problem.

    See also:
    http://www.americanpowerliftevolution.net/BruceRandallPage.html

    --
    Curt
    http://curtjames.com/

  3. Curt James said:

    spodosaurus wrote:

    re loose skin after extreme weight loss

    Quoted message said:

    The skin won't adjust very much. When you gain
    weight, the skin grows or gets stretch marks or
    both. When you lose it, the body leaves the
    excess as-is.

    The OP said it's been a year since his weight loss, so I tend to agree
    with you, however not entirely. IFBBer Ken Passerillo, Piazerilo,
    Perserillo, Piasserlli, uh, what in hell was that guy's name? He lost
    an extreme amount of weight and was spared the spare skin.

    And there's also the legendary Bruce Randall, but his weight gain was
    relatively quick as was his consequent weight loss which, I've read,
    contributed to his skin's ability to shrink back without the excess
    hanging problem.

    No, the difference is that these guys got _lean_,
    instead of going from morbidly obese to 20% body
    fat and then complaining of loose "skin", Unless
    it's paper thin, it's not skin, it's fat.

    --
    Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

  4. Roger Zoul said:


    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    :: I don't agree.
    ::
    :: Opinions?

    If you want to keep it off, go slower. IMO.

    Word!!!

  5. Scott Johnson said:
    Curt James said:

    spodosaurus wrote:

    re loose skin after extreme weight loss

    Quoted message said:

    The skin won't adjust very much. When you gain
    weight, the skin grows or gets stretch marks or
    both. When you lose it, the body leaves the
    excess as-is.

    The OP said it's been a year since his weight loss, so I tend to
    agree with you, however not entirely. IFBBer Ken Passerillo,
    Piazerilo, Perserillo, Piasserlli, uh, what in hell was that guy's
    name? He lost an extreme amount of weight and was spared the spare
    skin.

    And there's also the legendary Bruce Randall, but his weight gain was
    relatively quick as was his consequent weight loss which, I've read,
    contributed to his skin's ability to shrink back without the excess
    hanging problem.

    No, the difference is that these guys got _lean_,
    instead of going from morbidly obese to 20% body
    fat and then complaining of loose "skin", Unless
    it's paper thin, it's not skin, it's fat.

    Er...I believe skin is thicker than notebook paper. To kind of paper are
    you referring to?
    🙂

    I do get your point, though.

  6. Roger Zoul said:

    Er...I believe skin is thicker than notebook paper.
    To [what] kind of paper are you referring to?
    🙂

    The Sunday paper?

    Quoted message said:

    I do get your point, though.

    Cool, but I still haven't found how to spell that IFBB bodybuilder's
    name correctly. Passeriello? Maybe he never existed.
    --

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Curt James said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Ken Passariello?

    http://www.ifbb.com/contestresults/mensworld/1980congress.html

    Thanks. I tried a number of spellings (all incorrect) in an attempt to
    find a link to Passariello's story.

    The link you offer is from 1980. Time flies. That seems like yesterday
    to me.

    You are not alone...... :-P

    The older I get, the faster it goes too!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Curt James said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    Ken Passariello?

    http://www.ifbb.com/contestresults/mensworld/1980congress.html

    Thanks. I tried a number of spellings (all incorrect) in an attempt to
    find a link to Passariello's story.

    The link you offer is from 1980. Time flies. That seems like yesterday
    to me.

    You are not alone...... :-P

    The older I get, the faster it goes too!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  9. You may need plastic surgery.

    --
    Interactive Glamour Girls Videos
    http://www.cafepress.com/dwacon.19483317

  10. Scott Johnson said:
    Roger Zoul said:

    Er...I believe skin is thicker than notebook paper. To kind of
    paper are you referring to?
    🙂

    I do get your point, though.

    Compare pulling the skin off of the back of your hand with the shots
    of the people on _Extreme Makeover_ who have "excess skin" problems.
    If
    it's 1 1/2 inches thick it's not skin.

    Right!

    Quoted message said:


    Over the course of losing 90lbs in the past 5 years I've gone through
    varying degrees of fat "marbelization" all over my body. It's just
    what happens when you metabolize fat. Now that I've finally reached
    the point where the fat is coming off where my abs will someday be
    the area around my belly button looks like a plasic bag of stirred
    jello. :-)

    Interesting. I'm not exactly sure what you mean, though.

  11. Scott Johnson said:

    Now that I've finally reached the point
    where the fat is coming off where my abs will someday be the area


    around

    Quoted message said:

    my belly button looks like a plasic bag of stirred jello. :-)

    UNSUBSCRIBE

  12. geek_girl said:
    Scott Johnson said:

    Now that I've finally reached the point
    where the fat is coming off where my abs will someday be the area

    around

    Quoted message said:

    my belly button looks like a plasic bag of stirred jello. :-)

    UNSUBSCRIBE

    I'll go down a box of KK's and fill those fat
    cells up again then.

    --
    Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

  13. Scott Johnson said:
    geek_girl said:
    Scott Johnson said:

    Now that I've finally reached the point
    where the fat is coming off where my abs will someday be the area

    around

    Quoted message said:

    my belly button looks like a plasic bag of stirred jello. :-)

    UNSUBSCRIBE

    I'll go down a box of KK's and fill those fat
    cells up again then.

    Perhaps I should have been clearer. I was telling you to unsubscribe.
    Or you could make things even easier for me and just follow through on
    the promise you made a few months ago.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.