Road Cycling · Public discussion

Exercise and Age

Started by Maggie · · Last activity · 172 posts · 4,966 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
10 November 2004
Last activity
25 November 2004
Original author
Maggie
Posts
172
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,966
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 172
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [email hidden] (Maggie) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Beverly" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Now that's good to hear. I've rode a bike all my life but just started
    doing it seriously a couple years ago at age 59. Bought my first road bike
    just this year. I'm looking forward to flying all the time at age 69!!!

    Beverly

    You are my hero. I decided at 50 that if I did not move my ass, I
    would be dead in a few years. My doctor has been telling me that I
    have to exercise. Walk, bike, whatever...and I have not listened to
    him. I have two aunts who had heart attacks in their 50's. They were
    not very overweight, but they had problems with their blood pressure
    and stress. They never exercised. My kids have been yelling at me for
    the last two years to stop killing myself. I work too much and I eat
    nothing but junk. You inspire me to be a better person. That is a high
    compliment to pay someone. Thank you. I am leaving for Lake Tahoe in
    two weeks and look forward to riding bikes with my niece and my
    daughter. It will be beautiful to ride out there considering I ride in
    Jersey. ;-)
    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

    Maggie,

    Tahoe is beautiful, but how much biking you can do will be a question
    mark; you might need to pack your snow tires for the bike. There has
    been quite a bit of snow up there, and the forecast is for up to a
    foot more today. It is lovely riding, but not so good when there is
    snow on the ground ;-)

    - rick

  2. "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Beverly wrote:
    || "Michael Warner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    || news:[email hidden]...
    ||| On 11 Nov 2004 05:29:50 -0800, Maggie wrote:
    |||
    |||| And I have noticed that I mention my age constantly too. I think
    |||| its because I am trying to deal with being 50.
    |||
    ||| It's probably also because you're a woman, which isn't to say that
    ||| it's your fault. We seem to expect them to try harder to avoid
    ||| looking older as they age.
    |||
    ||| If you ride all the time, no-one will ever get a good look at you.
    ||| A helmet will help even more :-)
    |||
    || I'll have to remember this. It's just another good reason to ride
    || more often!
    ||

    Er....I'm not so sure about this. I can always spot a woman on a bike 🙂


    Is it the pink socks?

  3. Beverly wrote:
    || "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    || news:[email hidden]...
    ||| Beverly wrote:
    ||||| "Michael Warner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    ||||| news:[email hidden]...
    |||||| On 11 Nov 2004 05:29:50 -0800, Maggie wrote:
    ||||||
    ||||||| And I have noticed that I mention my age constantly too. I
    ||||||| think its because I am trying to deal with being 50.
    ||||||
    |||||| It's probably also because you're a woman, which isn't to say
    |||||| that it's your fault. We seem to expect them to try harder to
    |||||| avoid looking older as they age.
    ||||||
    |||||| If you ride all the time, no-one will ever get a good look at
    |||||| you.
    |||||| A helmet will help even more :-)
    ||||||
    ||||| I'll have to remember this. It's just another good reason to ride
    ||||| more often!
    |||||
    |||
    ||| Er....I'm not so sure about this. I can always spot a woman on a
    ||| bike 🙂
    |||
    || Is it the pink socks?

    Not typically 🙂

  4. Beverly said:


    "Bill Baka" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The only drawback is for me, getting caught doing some of the things
    that people my AGE should not be doing. Having kids around makes you
    not want to admit you can't do something. I am looking forward to
    teaching my Great grandchildren some of the finer points of riding.
    Bill Baka

    My first great granddaughter was born in July and I already have the
    Burly
    sole trailer just waiting for warmer weather.

    Beverly


    You have me at a disadvantage now. I have to wait a few more years for
    any new little ones.
    Ride on,
    Bill Baka

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

  5. : > If you ride all the time, no-one will ever get a good look at you. A
    : helmet
    : > will help even more :-)

    two words: helmet hair

  6. Maggie: red cloud is a troll. do not pay attention

  7. "Maggie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ::
    :: I have noticed that in practically every post, Maggie mentions her
    :: age. I wonder why? We have many 70+ year olds in our riding club
    :: and one 82 year old. Nobody goes around saying, "I'm 50 and...." I
    :: think Maggie is buying in to age-related stereotypes.
    ::
    :: Pat in TX

    Yes, I noticed it too. But I think she'll get passed it 🙂

    And I have noticed that I mention my age constantly too. I think its
    because I am trying to deal with being 50. It sounds so freakin' old.
    Maybe I think if I say it enough, I will come to terms with it. You
    are right. I am dwelling on my age. I am 50. OK, so I am 50. Yes,
    I guess being 50 is better than never reaching 50. But everytime I
    type 50 I think....HOW DID I BECOME 50???..Wasn't I 25 yesterday.
    Time goes by so fast. I hope I get passed the fact that I am 50. I
    hope I stop starting every post with I AM 50. I'm 50. I'm 50. OK so
    I am 50. This is the last time I will write that sentence. I AM 50.
    See how well I am dealing with this????? You guys are good for me.
    You don't mince words. You are not harsh, but you say what you think.
    Yes, you are right...I have an age issue going on here. I will work on
    that. Thanks for pointing out my obsession with being 50. That was a
    good thing. Now that I am a half a century old, I appreciate all the
    help I can get. ;-) Live, Laugh, Love and Dream....
    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
    "Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without
    passion."

    It's not bad, I turned 50 many years ago and can honestly say I've have some
    of the best times of my life since then, just have to realize you can't do
    quite as much as fast as you did at 20 or 30, but you can still do them and
    probably will enjoy them more.

  8. Jeez, Maggie, if you think 50 is tough, wait 'til you hit 51! 🙂 --Roy Zipris

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Roy Zipris) said:

    Jeez, Maggie, if you think 50 is tough, wait 'til you hit 51! 🙂

    I'm doing that next month. But y'know what? I don't
    think it's age that ages ya -- it's having kids.

    I think parents love their kids so much, they give the
    kids all their own youth.

    I think I did a pretty good job of prematurely aging my
    parents :-) And they did a pretty good job of giving
    me their youth. At approaching 51, I've still got a bunch
    of youth left. And a deeper and bittersweet appreciation
    for my parents' input.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  10. Roy Zipris said:

    Jeez, Maggie, if you think 50 is tough, wait 'til you hit 51! 🙂 --Roy
    Zipris

    You will be going still faster at 56, I am. Now if I can find some
    good senior races.
    Bill Baka

    --

  11. In article said:

    : > If you ride all the time, no-one will ever get a good look at you. A
    : helmet
    : > will help even more :-)

    two words: helmet hair

    You have to have hair in the first place....(:

  12. "Beverly" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<IPzkd.2057$

    Quoted message said:

    The book sounds very interesting. I just ordered it from Amazon. What did
    I ever do without this website 🙂

    Beverly

    I was thinking the same thing. I love this newsgroup... I need
    something to keep me motivated as I tend to jump from obsession to
    obsession. Some good and some bad. This is great. You are all so
    passionate about riding. I also ordered the book. Thanks.

    Maggie Mae...She'll steal your soul and that's a pain you can do
    without!!!

    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
    http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/temporarypreviewfile.html

  13. Bill Baka said:
    Roy Zipris said:

    Jeez, Maggie, if you think 50 is tough, wait 'til you hit 51! 🙂 --Roy
    Zipris

    You will be going still faster at 56, I am. Now if I can find some
    good senior races.
    Bill Baka

    Wow, everyone in this group is so OLD!!

    Oh, wait, I'm 51. How did that happen?

  14. Wait til you reach 74, be 75 in two months . Still riding 20-30 miles and
    hilly!!!

    "dgk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bill Baka said:
    Roy Zipris said:

    Jeez, Maggie, if you think 50 is tough, wait 'til you hit 51! 🙂 --Roy
    Zipris

    You will be going still faster at 56, I am. Now if I can find some
    good senior races.
    Bill Baka

    Wow, everyone in this group is so OLD!!

    Oh, wait, I'm 51. How did that happen?

  15. Michael Warner <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Maggie said:

    And I have noticed that I mention my age constantly too. I think its
    because I am trying to deal with being 50.

    It's probably also because you're a woman, which isn't to say that
    it's your fault. We seem to expect them to try harder to avoid
    looking older as they age.

    Is that fair? A man becomes distinguished as he gets older. He can
    have a pot belly and no one minds. He can have gray hair and be a BIG
    GUY!! (Big guy means overweight.) Forgetaboutit with a woman. Life is
    not fair. I feel sorry for my female friends who are in their forties,
    because most of the males I know in their forties are dating women in
    their twenties. Some men wait a long time to marry (as there is no
    biological hurry if they want children) and then when they do marry,
    they marry a younger woman. Women seem to be getting a raw deal
    lately. I look at my daughters friends that are pushing 30...just 30
    and all they are worried about is their biological clock ticking.
    Seems they will marry anyone so they can have children. Yet my son is
    pushing 30 and he does not mind at all that he is not married yet
    because he is dating a woman who is 24. He has time. Plenty of time.
    No tick tick ticking going on with him. Something is wrong with the
    whole picture. This has nothing to do with cycling...this is just a
    rant. I am ranting. Forgive me. Not that I think women should marry
    at the obscene age that I did....which was 20, but its a shame that
    they start to worry when they reach 30 that time is slipping away and
    they better hurry and find a man to marry so they can start a family.
    It all seems unfair to me. The only good thing about marrying at the
    obscene age of 20 is the fact that I am now 50 and my kids are all
    grown and I will be a young Grandma hopefully. ;-) If my daughter
    had married at 20 instead of getting her Masters, I would have been
    very upset. END OF RANT!!!

    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

    "The heart of a mother is a deep abyss
    at the bottom of which you will
    always find forgiveness."

  16. Quoted message said:

    Now that I am a half a century old, I appreciate all the
    help I can get. ;-) Live, Laugh, Love and Dream....

    =v= Your best help: riding a bike. The thing's a panacea,
    I tellya!
    <_Jym_>

  17. "dgk" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Bill Baka said:
    Roy Zipris said:

    Jeez, Maggie, if you think 50 is tough, wait 'til you hit 51!


    🙂 --Roy

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Zipris

    You will be going still faster at 56, I am. Now if I can find some
    good senior races.
    Bill Baka

    Wow, everyone in this group is so OLD!!

    Oh, wait, I'm 51. How did that happen?

    It happens way too fast for me. I swear it was only a couple years ago when
    I was in my 40's.

  18. "Harold A. Davison" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Wait til you reach 74, be 75 in two months . Still riding 20-30 miles and
    hilly!!!

    I certainly hope to be doing the same when I reach your age!

    Most of the people I ride with are in their 60's and 70's. We have one
    gentleman in his 80's who ocassionally joins us.

    Beverly

  19. dgk said:
    Bill Baka said:
    Roy Zipris said:

    Jeez, Maggie, if you think 50 is tough, wait 'til you hit 51! 🙂
    --Roy
    Zipris

    You will be going still faster at 56, I am. Now if I can find some
    good senior races.
    Bill Baka

    Wow, everyone in this group is so OLD!!

    Oh, wait, I'm 51. How did that happen?

    Darn kids in this group.
    Bill Baka

  20. Maggie said:

    Michael Warner <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Maggie said:

    And I have noticed that I mention my age constantly too. I think its
    because I am trying to deal with being 50.

    It's probably also because you're a woman, which isn't to say that
    it's your fault. We seem to expect them to try harder to avoid
    looking older as they age.

    Is that fair? A man becomes distinguished as he gets older. He can
    have a pot belly and no one minds. He can have gray hair and be a BIG
    GUY!! (Big guy means overweight.) Forgetaboutit with a woman. Life is
    not fair. I feel sorry for my female friends who are in their forties,
    because most of the males I know in their forties are dating women in
    their twenties. Some men wait a long time to marry (as there is no
    biological hurry if they want children) and then when they do marry,
    they marry a younger woman. Women seem to be getting a raw deal
    lately. I look at my daughters friends that are pushing 30...just 30
    and all they are worried about is their biological clock ticking.
    Seems they will marry anyone so they can have children. Yet my son is
    pushing 30 and he does not mind at all that he is not married yet
    because he is dating a woman who is 24. He has time. Plenty of time.
    No tick tick ticking going on with him. Something is wrong with the
    whole picture. This has nothing to do with cycling...this is just a
    rant. I am ranting. Forgive me. Not that I think women should marry
    at the obscene age that I did....which was 20, but its a shame that
    they start to worry when they reach 30 that time is slipping away and
    they better hurry and find a man to marry so they can start a family.
    It all seems unfair to me. The only good thing about marrying at the
    obscene age of 20 is the fact that I am now 50 and my kids are all
    grown and I will be a young Grandma hopefully. ;-) If my daughter
    had married at 20 instead of getting her Masters, I would have been
    very upset. END OF RANT!!!

    http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

    "The heart of a mother is a deep abyss
    at the bottom of which you will
    always find forgiveness."

    I hear that all loud and clear. My daughter is 2 months away from 26
    and totally freaked out about 'wrinkles'. My stepdaughter is 38 and
    could care less. It's how other people see you, not a close up in
    the bathroom mirror. For me, I will bicycle off the wrinkles.
    Bill Baka

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.