"Maggie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Terry Morse <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Maggie said:Let me bask in the glow
of an old lady getting to hear "hot" in a sentence without it
referring to the flashes that come with menopause.
Well, hottie Maggie, you've got company. All the hot biker chicks in
our club are...um...let's just call them mature. From this year's
Kiss of Death Ride:
http://bike.terrymorse.com/kod0406/pages/IMG_0415.html
http://bike.terrymorse.com/kod0406/pages/IMG_0451.html
Good Lord.....I will never be as athletic as those girls in that
picture. That's impossible. Some things are impossible and me looking
like an athlete is impossible. What great pictures..... I think I am
striving for riding in the park with a jogging suit on and watching
out for squirrels. I can't compete with those two. I'm not delusional.
A little wacky maybe, but not delusional. I know myself too well. I
won't lie even on a newsgroup where people get away with it. I know I
will never be in that good of shape. Kudos to those two.
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
re: "I know I will never be in that good of shape.", "That's impossible."
And, so it is.
That's a defeatist attitude, Maggie.
At age 38, I was overweight (6', 200+ lbs), and a smoker. I never imagined
myself as capable of being "athletic". Fortunately, I bought a low-end
mountain bike to help me quit smoking. I've been riding ever since, and at
51 I now ride around 4,000 miles per year, including a yearly riding
vacation that normally includes big mountains. Here's a picture of me from
my trip to see the Tour de France this year:
http://www.shastasoftware.com/CycliStats/biketours/TDF2004/TDF2004_013.htm
(or, http://tinyurl.com/3o3cs )
At 38, I could never have done, or even imagined myself doing, some of the
rides I've done in the last few years.
The key thing is to make regular physical activity part of your life - shoot
for 6-7 hours per week and you *will* start to get stronger. I suspect this
is harder for women than for men, because women tend to be more focused on
the needs of others, but at 50 perhaps it's time for you to make more time
for yourself.
FWIW, Henry Ford once said "If you think you can do a thing or think you
can't do a thing, you're right."
--
~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists