Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Explaining Shimano and Campagnolo products

Started by The Doctor · · Last activity · 14 posts · 625 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
14 November 2004
Last activity
27 November 2004
Original author
The Doctor
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
625
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi everyone,

    I have an older style Cannondale road bike (1997 model) and I've
    been thinking of making it into a second bike. The hubs are mostly
    shot and the shifters are bearly working. It has 8 speed rear cluster.
    What's the cheapest way of upgrading it or at least get it ridable again?

    Where can I find an explanation of all the different Shimano and Campagnolo
    products?

    Thank you

  2. The Doctor said:

    Hi everyone,

    I have an older style Cannondale road bike (1997 model) and I've
    been thinking of making it into a second bike. The hubs are mostly
    shot and the shifters are bearly working. It has 8 speed rear cluster.
    What's the cheapest way of upgrading it or at least get it ridable again?

    Where can I find an explanation of all the different Shimano and Campagnolo
    products?

    Thank you

    Is it Shimano or Campag now?

    Get the hub bearings & cones replaced - that's not expensive.

    If it's Campag gear, you can get your shifters serviced and the guts
    replaced (if necessary) and it's a lot cheaper than new shifters.

    If it's Shimano and the shifters are knackered I think you may need to
    buy new shifters.

    Hippy,
    You're a died in the wool Shimano fella, what's the deal with repairing
    shifters?

    As for comparing products, www.shimano.com & www.campagnolo.com.

    Cheers.

    --
    Nick

  3. Hi Nick,

    Thanks for the really speedy response. I have never used
    Campagnolo. Is it possible to use Campagnolo shifters with
    Shimano's front and rear derellieru??? What's the miss and
    match available?

    NickZX6R <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Is it Shimano or Campag now?

    Get the hub bearings & cones replaced - that's not expensive.

    If it's Campag gear, you can get your shifters serviced and the guts
    replaced (if necessary) and it's a lot cheaper than new shifters.

    If it's Shimano and the shifters are knackered I think you may need to
    buy new shifters.

    Hippy,
    You're a died in the wool Shimano fella, what's the deal with
    repairing shifters?

    As for comparing products, www.shimano.com & www.campagnolo.com.

    Cheers.

  4. "NickZX6R" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    The Doctor said:

    I have an older style Cannondale road bike (1997 model) and I've
    been thinking of making it into a second bike. The hubs are mostly
    shot and the shifters are bearly working. It has 8 speed rear cluster.
    What's the cheapest way of upgrading it or at least get it ridable


    again?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Where can I find an explanation of all the different Shimano and


    Campagnolo

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    products?

    www.google.com

    Quoted message said:

    If it's Campag gear, you can get your shifters serviced and the guts
    replaced (if necessary) and it's a lot cheaper than new shifters.

    How much ARE parts for Campy stuff? I heard they
    were rather expensive? Guess expensive parts are still
    cheaper than expensive 'whole units' :-)

    Quoted message said:

    If it's Shimano and the shifters are knackered I think you may need to
    buy new shifters.

    Hippy,
    You're a died in the wool Shimano fella, what's the deal with repairing
    shifters?

    I wouldn't go that far.. I argue in Shimano's favour just
    to add balance to the group :-D There's too many FD's,
    SJ's and GK's arguing on behalf of the Campy camp. 🙂

    As for repairing them? I've never done it.
    If you want to stick with these.. try flushing their guts
    out with WD-40.
    There is limited serviceability I think but most people just
    replace them with new units, replace with barcons or
    downtube shifters or convert the bike to singlespeed or
    fixed wheel..

    You wanted the 'cheapest' option.. singlespeeds are cool.

    I just found this:
    http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm

    What exactly are the shifters doing or not doing? It could
    be a simple case of poor adjustment..

    Oh, another option is to buy another bike and combine
    the parts of both to make a nice, rideable machine..

    hippy ;-)
    singlespeed it!!!

  5. "The Doctor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the really speedy response. I have never used
    Campagnolo. Is it possible to use Campagnolo shifters with
    Shimano's front and rear derellieru??? What's the miss and
    match available?

    Yes, here's a couple of options:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-46559
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Shiftmate.asp

    hth
    hippy

  6. The Doctor said:

    Hi Nick,

    Thanks for the really speedy response. I have never used
    Campagnolo. Is it possible to use Campagnolo shifters with
    Shimano's front and rear derellieru??? What's the miss and
    match available?

    Yes - The derailleur doesn't care what is shifting it - the shifters must index to the same spacing as the cassette, but it doesn't matter which derailleur you use (as long as it has enough capacity for the range of cogs you have).

    Ritch

  7. ritcho <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Yes - The derailleur doesn't care what is shifting it - the shifters
    must index to the same spacing as the cassette, but it doesn't matter
    which derailleur you use (as long as it has enough capacity for the
    range of cogs you have).

    Hi Ritch,

    Are you saying that both Shimano and Campagnolo use SIS indexing?

    BTW, I have flush out the right shifter with WD40 and it actually
    does work now. But the hubs are stuffed.

    Are there any general bicycle website explaining hubs, shifters etc.

    Thank you

    Anthony

  8. "The Doctor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ritcho <[email hidden]> wrote in

    Quoted message said:

    Yes - The derailleur doesn't care what is shifting it - the shifters
    must index to the same spacing as the cassette, but it doesn't matter
    which derailleur you use (as long as it has enough capacity for the
    range of cogs you have).

    Are you saying that both Shimano and Campagnolo use SIS indexing?

    SIS = Shimano Indexing System

    The shifter moves a certain amount between clicks. This
    corresponds with a certain gap between each sprocket.
    The gaps on Shimano and Campag cassettes are slightly
    different. The derailler just moves whatever amount the
    shifter forces it to - it is restricted only by the shifter.

    Quoted message said:

    BTW, I have flush out the right shifter with WD40 and it actually
    does work now. But the hubs are stuffed.

    Yay for WD40!! :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Are there any general bicycle website explaining hubs, shifters etc.

    For hub repair:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_hub.shtml

    For all kinds of cool info:
    www.sheldonbrown.com

    hippy

  9. Ritcho said:

    Yes - The derailleur doesn't care what is shifting it - the
    shifters must index to the same spacing as the cassette,
    but it doesn't matter which derailleur you use (as long as
    it has enough capacity for the range of cogs you have).

    This is incorrect. Shimano and Campagnolo derailleurs use different amounts of cable pull to move the jockey wheels the same amount. You can use Shimano shifters with Campagnolo derailleurs, or vise-versa, but must make allowances for the different cable-pull.

    See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate.html for a device that does this.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  10. "suzyj" <[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yes - The derailleur doesn't care what is shifting it - the
    shifters must index to the same spacing as the cassette,
    but it doesn't matter which derailleur you use (as long as
    it has enough capacity for the range of cogs you have).

    This is incorrect. Shimano and Campagnolo derailleurs use different
    amounts of cable pull to move the jockey wheels the same amount. You
    can use Shimano shifters with Campagnolo derailleurs, or vise-versa,
    but must make allowances for the different cable-pull.

    See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate.html for a device that
    does this.

    Arr spewing... I was waiting for my STI's to fall
    apart before replacing with some ebaycheap Campag
    jobbies.. now I need a Shiftmate too :-(

    There's no specs on the different cable pull though, just
    a mention about fixing the difference..

    Ahh.. more stuff..
    http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36442&whichpage=2

    hippy

  11. suzyj said:

    This is incorrect. Shimano and Campagnolo derailleurs use different
    amounts of cable pull to move the jockey wheels the same amount. You
    can use Shimano shifters with Campagnolo derailleurs, or vise-versa,
    but must make allowances for the different cable-pull.

    Ta, I suspected that. The answer is to stick with non-indexed shifters,
    and then use whatever derailer and cassette you feel like :-)

    Quoted message said:

    See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate.html for a device that
    does this.

    That looks just like the road-STI to cantiler-brake adaptor.

  12. quote='suzyj'Ritcho said:

    Yes - The derailleur doesn't care what is shifting it - the
    shifters must index to the same spacing as the cassette,
    but it doesn't matter which derailleur you use (as long as
    it has enough capacity for the range of cogs you have).

    This is incorrect. Shimano and Campagnolo derailleurs use different amounts of cable pull to move the jockey wheels the same amount. You can use Shimano shifters with Campagnolo derailleurs, or vise-versa, but must make allowances for the different cable-pull.

    See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate.html for a device that does this.

    Regards,

    Suzy[/QUOTE]

    Hmm. ok, I stand corrected. I didn't think about the cable-pull...

    Cheers,
    Ritch

  13. ritcho said:

    Yes - The derailleur doesn't care what is shifting it - the shifters must index to the same spacing as the cassette, but it doesn't matter which derailleur you use (as long as it has enough capacity for the range of cogs you have).

    Ritch

    Hey, sorry to throw a pump in your wheels, but even between groupsets from the same manufacturer, it's sometimes difficult to get them working 90 - 100%, esp old vs. new Shimano, Old (8 spd/9 spd.) Campag vs. Old Shimano etc. The amount of cable pull each derailleur responds to, to go a certain distance sideways, is often very different, despite how similar they look. Eg., old (8 spd) Dura-Ace is not compatible with anything else in the known universe. BUT, you can SOMETIMES make Campag and Shimano 9 spd. talk to ane another, until they get a bit old and worn.

    It's not just manufacturers designing obsolesence/bloodymindedness into their products, it's actually a "system", in the real sense of the word. You can buck the "system", but in the long run, it works smoother if you don't. Plenty of replacement parts in stock anyway, and if they ain't, it's time for an upgrade. (#$%& Uniglide hubs!) Now, it's OK to use Tiagra anything with Dura-Ace anything (9 spd.) Hoorah! "What? 10 spd? For a moment there, I thought we reached equilibrium. Campag's all 10 anyway. Hoorah!"

    M "time fiddling vs. money spent - make sure you cost your labour/frustration quotient @ $50/hr!" H

  14. Hi all,

    I was away for 10 days after posting the initial question of Shimano and
    Campagnolo shifters. Seems that it is difficult to mix shifters with
    derailleur. But what about the actual clusters? Can I mix a rear
    Campagnolog shifter, derailleur with a Shimano rear cluster?
    I suspect the answer is yes or depend on the gear spacing?

    Thanks in advance
    Anthony

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.