rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

Extra spokes & Chainwhip?

Started by 200a · · Last activity · 25 posts · 1,644 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
10 May 2004
Last activity
25 May 2004
Original author
200a
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,644
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–25 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Rick Onanian <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    On 18 May 2004 11:24:19 -0700, [email hidden] (Rick

    Warner) said:

    Who said anything about needing the chainwhip for removal? I sure did
    not. You need the chainwhip to get the freewheel back on tightly.

    Why? Pedalling doesn't tighten it enough?

    Not when the bike is in the stand and the wheel on the bench. Read
    carefully, digest the entire thread, do not leap to conclusions, etc.
    etc.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And chainwhips are not needed for cassette removal, even if you do not
    have a hypercracker (but why would you not have a hypercracker? Small
    and light). My Stein freehub wrench holds the cassette tightly while
    I use the removal tool and crescent wrench to loosen the cassette
    lockring when I am in the shop. Only thing I use chainwhips for these
    days are tightening on the freewheels and taking cogs off freewheels.

    How does your stein freehub wrench compare in volume and mass to a
    chainwhip? If it's not lighter, I'd prefer the chainwhip...more
    versatile.

    Who cares about size in the shop? The Stein tool is much easier to
    use when dealing with a very tight lockring, the old 'squeeze the
    wrenches together' trick, sinilar to squeezing the wrenches together
    to loosen a tight headset locknut.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, I thought this thread was about equipment for touring, not
    tools in shops...

    Right you are, but I was not the person that inferred, quite
    incorrectly and without any evidence to support such an incorrect
    assumption, that if I mentioned someone carrying a chainwhip that I
    must be talking of freewheel removal. If you bothered to read the
    thread you would see I was merely pointing out the error of the
    poster's ways. Now if you go back to the original thread, read the
    whole thing, you will see I said that I do not carry a chainwhip. I
    said, also, that I do not ride a freewheel on tour. I merely pointed
    out that one poster *might* carry one since I knew he does tour with a
    freewheel. My chainwhip stays in the shop, and gets little use. I
    enumerated the tools I take on tour, tools now set aside to be packed
    and schlepped to Italy in the near future, where I hope to use a few
    tools for assembly/disassembly but that some tools (e.g., spoke wrench
    and cassette cracker) sit in the bags and do not see the light of day
    for the next month.

    - rick

  2. Rick Warner said:
    Quoted message said:

    _ You don't need a chainwhip to remove freewheels, just a long
    Crescent wrench and the right freewheel tool. Chainwhips are
    needed for cassette removal if you don't have a hypercracker.

    Quoted message said:

    Who said anything about needing the chainwhip for removal? I sure did
    not. You need the chainwhip to get the freewheel back on tightly.

    I trust you are making a joke. Freewheels screw on all by themselves.
    No tools are required. Large adjustable or box end wrenches that fit
    a standard FW remover are available at most auto shops and many gas
    stations. If you don't ride low spoke count wheels on a tour, you can
    ride all day with a broken spoke with no more than the brake QR opened
    to prevent drag... that is if you aren't riding one of those tight
    pseudo racing bicycles with 2mm clearance to frame and fork as if that
    had any benefit what so ever.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email hidden]

  3. 20 May 2004 said:

    I trust you are making a joke. Freewheels screw on all by themselves.
    No tools are required.

    Though that must have been a joke, let me caution novice readers.
    It's happened to me to have a new freewheel installed by hand, without
    screwing it in tightly.
    I started out coasting downhill and it unscrew without mercy!

    Sergio
    Pisa

  4. "Rick Warner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    to Italy in the near future, where I hope to use a few
    tools for assembly/disassembly but that some tools (e.g., spoke wrench
    and cassette cracker) sit in the bags and do not see the light of day
    for the next month.

    I wish you a mechanical free month in Italy!

    Watching the Giro really makes me jealous of your trip.

    Enjoy.

  5. "TM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Rick Warner" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    to Italy in the near future, where I hope to use a few
    tools for assembly/disassembly but that some tools (e.g., spoke wrench
    and cassette cracker) sit in the bags and do not see the light of day
    for the next month.

    I wish you a mechanical free month in Italy!

    Watching the Giro really makes me jealous of your trip.

    Enjoy.

    Thanks! I am expecting a trouble free trip, but again one never
    knows. The 17th-19th stages, later this week, will cross back and
    forth the area I will be riding in just over 3 weeks. Really great
    country to cycle in, and not too bad if cost-wise if you shop for
    fares. Our tickets were just over $500 round trip SF to Venice.

    Cheers,

    - rick

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.