FA: AWESOME ABICI TT BIKE LAST 3 HOURS!!

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Antony Galvan, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

  3. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, TomH_
    [email protected] says...
    > "Antony Galvan" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:cCvZc.5032$w%[email protected]:
    >
    > > you have to see this bike to believe it. it is absolutely amazing.
    > > good luck!
    > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3696316062&ssPa
    > > geName=STRK:MESE:IT
    > >

    > So why was the auction ended early?

    He probably didn't get the bids as high as he wanted. You could see
    that coming with his comments on the auction page.

    newsgroups if possible).

  4. George Ball

    George Ball Guest

    yep, pretty pathetic. If he wanted to have a reserve price he should have
    entered it as a reserve auction. Definately against Ebay policies to end
    an auction early because of the price.

    "David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, TomH_
    > [email protected] says...
    >> "Antony Galvan" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:cCvZc.5032$w%[email protected]:
    >>
    >> > you have to see this bike to believe it. it is absolutely amazing.
    >> > good luck!
    >> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3696316062&ssPa
    >> > geName=STRK:MESE:IT
    >> >

    >> So why was the auction ended early?

    > He probably didn't get the bids as high as he wanted. You could see
    > that coming with his comments on the auction page.
    >

    > --
    > Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    > newsgroups if possible).

  5. David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>, TomH_
    > [email protected] says...
    >> "Antony Galvan" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:cCvZc.5032$w%[email protected]:
    >>
    >> > you have to see this bike to believe it. it is absolutely amazing.
    >> > good luck!
    >> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3696316062&s
    >> > sPa geName=STRK:MESE:IT
    >> >

    >> So why was the auction ended early?

    > He probably didn't get the bids as high as he wanted. You could see
    > that coming with his comments on the auction page.

    That strikes me as dirty pool. If you don't want to sell it below a
    certain price, set the opening bid there or set a reserve. Backing out at
    the last minute when the high bid doesn't suit you lacks ethics.

    Tom

  6. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, TomH_
    [email protected] says...
    > David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>, TomH_
    > > [email protected] says...
    > >> "Antony Galvan" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > >> news:cCvZc.5032$w%[email protected]:

    > >> So why was the auction ended early?

    > > He probably didn't get the bids as high as he wanted. You could see
    > > that coming with his comments on the auction page.
    > >

    > That strikes me as dirty pool. If you don't want to sell it below a
    > certain price, set the opening bid there or set a reserve. Backing out at
    > the last minute when the high bid doesn't suit you lacks ethics.

    Yep. That was probably the "error" he claimed to be the reason for
    ending it early.

    newsgroups if possible).

  7. Jordan Hukee

    Jordan Hukee Guest

    IMO it's not unethical. As a seller you aren't obligated to sell your goods
    for a price you don't like. True, it is extremely annoying to think you are
    about to get a great deal on something and then the seller kills the
    auction. I thought I was going to win a nice GURU TT frame for $275. Too
    good to be true?

    Frustrating, but you can always check and see if the seller has a habit of
    ending auctions early.

    As you guys noted anyway, you could see that one coming from a mile away,
    wanting over $4k for a used bike with stock componentry was pretty much the
    nail in the coffin from the very beginning. It wasn't likely that it was
    going to go.

    In the future, if you are so hot to win the auction, bid it up to what the
    guy said he wanted.

    On 9/3/04 5:33 AM, in article [email protected],
    "David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, TomH_
    > [email protected] says...
    >> David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >>> In article <[email protected]>, TomH_
    >>> [email protected] says...

    >>> He probably didn't get the bids as high as he wanted. You could see
    >>> that coming with his comments on the auction page.
    >>>

    >> That strikes me as dirty pool. If you don't want to sell it below a
    >> certain price, set the opening bid there or set a reserve. Backing out at
    >> the last minute when the high bid doesn't suit you lacks ethics.

    > Yep. That was probably the "error" he claimed to be the reason for
    > ending it early.

  8. George Ball

    George Ball Guest

    Directly from the EBAY website:

    "Note: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in
    order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price.
    This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are
    legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be
    investigated. "

    If you read his ad, where he says "there is no reserve, but there is
    definitely a reserve if you get me" it was obvious he wasn't going to sell
    it for less than a certain price. He should have listed it as a reserve
    price auction, which would have cost him more.

    So yes, it was definitely unethical.

    "Jordan Hukee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BD5DCD26.450%[email protected]
    > IMO it's not unethical. As a seller you aren't obligated to sell your
    > goods
    > for a price you don't like. True, it is extremely annoying to think you
    > are
    > about to get a great deal on something and then the seller kills the
    > auction. I thought I was going to win a nice GURU TT frame for $275. Too
    > good to be true?
    >
    > Frustrating, but you can always check and see if the seller has a habit of
    > ending auctions early.
    >
    > As you guys noted anyway, you could see that one coming from a mile away,
    > wanting over $4k for a used bike with stock componentry was pretty much
    > the
    > nail in the coffin from the very beginning. It wasn't likely that it was
    > going to go.
    >
    > In the future, if you are so hot to win the auction, bid it up to what the
    > guy said he wanted.

    > On 9/3/04 5:33 AM, in article [email protected],
    > "David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>, TomH_
    >> [email protected] says...
    >>> David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in
    >>> news:[email protected]:

    >>> That strikes me as dirty pool. If you don't want to sell it below a
    >>> certain price, set the opening bid there or set a reserve. Backing out
    >>> at
    >>> the last minute when the high bid doesn't suit you lacks ethics.

    >> Yep. That was probably the "error" he claimed to be the reason for
    >> ending it early.

  9. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <BD5DCD26.450%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > IMO it's not unethical. As a seller you aren't obligated to sell your goods

    I understand your reasoning, but IMO if there was a minimum amount he
    was willing to accept, he should have set up a reserve, so the buyer is
    aware that it might not sell at all.

    > for a price you don't like. True, it is extremely annoying to think you are
    > about to get a great deal on something and then the seller kills the
    > auction. I thought I was going to win a nice GURU TT frame for $275. Too
    > good to be true?
    >
    > Frustrating, but you can always check and see if the seller has a habit of
    > ending auctions early.
    >
    > As you guys noted anyway, you could see that one coming from a mile away,
    > wanting over $4k for a used bike with stock componentry was pretty much the
    > nail in the coffin from the very beginning. It wasn't likely that it was
    > going to go.
    >
    > In the future, if you are so hot to win the auction, bid it up to what the
    > guy said he wanted.

    > On 9/3/04 5:33 AM, in article [email protected],
    > "David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>, TomH_
    > > [email protected] says...
    > >> David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in
    > >> news:[email protected]:

    > >> That strikes me as dirty pool. If you don't want to sell it below a
    > >> certain price, set the opening bid there or set a reserve. Backing out at
    > >> the last minute when the high bid doesn't suit you lacks ethics.

    > > Yep. That was probably the "error" he claimed to be the reason for
    > > ending it early.

    newsgroups if possible).

  10. In article <BD5DCD26.450%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >IMO it's not unethical. As a seller you aren't obligated to sell your goods
    >for a price you don't like. True, it is extremely annoying to think you are
    >about to get a great deal on something and then the seller kills the
    >auction. I thought I was going to win a nice GURU TT frame for $275. Too
    >good to be true?

    Not only is it unethical, but it is illegal too. If want a certain price,
    set a reserve or start the bidding at that price. This should come as no
    surprise to any ebay user.

    >Frustrating, but you can always check and see if the seller has a habit of
    >ending auctions early.

    How would this person like it if I put in a very high bid and shortly before
    the auction ends I retract my bid? It's the same thing.

    >As you guys noted anyway, you could see that one coming from a mile away,
    >wanting over $4k for a used bike with stock componentry was pretty much the
    >nail in the coffin from the very beginning. It wasn't likely that it was
    >going to go.
    >
    >In the future, if you are so hot to win the auction, bid it up to what the
    >guy said he wanted.

    Better yet, bid it up much higher and then retract your bid. Give him a
    taste of his own medicine.
    -------------
    Alex

  11. Jordan Hukee

    Jordan Hukee Guest

    I stand corrected. Thanks George.

    Dang, now am even more bummed at the guy who yanked his GURU that I was
    about to win! =)

    Jordan

    On 9/3/04 8:31 AM, in article [email protected],
    "George Ball" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Directly from the EBAY website:
    >
    > "Note: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in
    > order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price.
    > This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are
    > legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be
    > investigated. "
    >
    > If you read his ad, where he says "there is no reserve, but there is
    > definitely a reserve if you get me" it was obvious he wasn't going to sell
    > it for less than a certain price. He should have listed it as a reserve
    > price auction, which would have cost him more.
    >
    > So yes, it was definitely unethical.
    >
    > "Jordan Hukee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BD5DCD26.450%[email protected]
    >> IMO it's not unethical. As a seller you aren't obligated to sell your
    >> goods
    >> for a price you don't like. True, it is extremely annoying to think you
    >> are
    >> about to get a great deal on something and then the seller kills the
    >> auction. I thought I was going to win a nice GURU TT frame for $275. Too
    >> good to be true?
    >>
    >> Frustrating, but you can always check and see if the seller has a habit of
    >> ending auctions early.
    >>
    >> As you guys noted anyway, you could see that one coming from a mile away,
    >> wanting over $4k for a used bike with stock componentry was pretty much
    >> the
    >> nail in the coffin from the very beginning. It wasn't likely that it was
    >> going to go.
    >>
    >> In the future, if you are so hot to win the auction, bid it up to what the
    >> guy said he wanted.

    >> On 9/3/04 5:33 AM, in article [email protected],
    >> "David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <[email protected]>, TomH_
    >>> [email protected] says...

    >>> Yep. That was probably the "error" he claimed to be the reason for
    >>> ending it early.

  12. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <BD5E1D8A.47D%[email protected]>,
    Jordan Hukee <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I stand corrected. Thanks George.
    >
    > Dang, now am even more bummed at the guy who yanked his GURU that I was
    > about to win! =)

    You should report the incident to eBay and maybe get the guys account
    yanked.

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  13. perhaps you are all right...the truth is that i was contacted outside of
    ebay by a friend of a friend who heard i was selling the bike. he made me
    an offer and i accepted, then proceeded to cancel the auction. for those of
    you who want to "yank" my account....you are free to do what you will but
    you should take a closer look at what i have sold in the past and for what
    price. you would really be doing yourselves a disservice. you are right, i
    should have set a reserve but i just assumed cyclists would see a
    practically new $7,000 tt bike and not assume they would walk away with it
    for a paltry $3,000. that is what i wrote in the description and that is
    why i started the bidding at $1, because i honestly figured people would
    realize what was up for sale. my bad. in the future i shall most certainly
    put a reserve on something of high value....although i somehow feel i would
    just be reading more complaints of "good luck", or "yeah, like he's really
    gonna get that"....
    only reaffirms my suspicions that ebay is best suited to mid-level
    merchandise...
    peace,
    antony
    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <BD5DCD26.450%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    >>IMO it's not unethical. As a seller you aren't obligated to sell your
    >>goods
    >>for a price you don't like. True, it is extremely annoying to think you
    >>are
    >>about to get a great deal on something and then the seller kills the
    >>auction. I thought I was going to win a nice GURU TT frame for $275. Too
    >>good to be true?

    > Not only is it unethical, but it is illegal too. If want a certain price,
    > set a reserve or start the bidding at that price. This should come as no
    > surprise to any ebay user.
    >
    >>Frustrating, but you can always check and see if the seller has a habit of
    >>ending auctions early.

    > How would this person like it if I put in a very high bid and shortly
    > before
    > the auction ends I retract my bid? It's the same thing.
    >
    >>As you guys noted anyway, you could see that one coming from a mile away,
    >>wanting over $4k for a used bike with stock componentry was pretty much
    >>the
    >>nail in the coffin from the very beginning. It wasn't likely that it was
    >>going to go.
    >>
    >>In the future, if you are so hot to win the auction, bid it up to what the
    >>guy said he wanted.

    > Better yet, bid it up much higher and then retract your bid. Give him a
    > taste of his own medicine.
    > -------------
    > Alex

  14. George Ball

    George Ball Guest

    BS, with an hour left it was still up for sale. You yanked it because you
    weren't getting enough money. Used bikes and parts go for about 1/2 price,
    sorry to tell you that but it's a fact of life.

    "Antony Galvan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eh7_c.6756$w%[email protected]
    > perhaps you are all right...the truth is that i was contacted outside of
    > ebay by a friend of a friend who heard i was selling the bike. he made me
    > an offer and i accepted, then proceeded to cancel the auction. for those
    > of you who want to "yank" my account....you are free to do what you will
    > but you should take a closer look at what i have sold in the past and for
    > what price. you would really be doing yourselves a disservice. you are
    > right, i should have set a reserve but i just assumed cyclists would see a
    > practically new $7,000 tt bike and not assume they would walk away with it
    > for a paltry $3,000. that is what i wrote in the description and that is
    > why i started the bidding at $1, because i honestly figured people would
    > realize what was up for sale. my bad. in the future i shall most
    > certainly put a reserve on something of high value....although i somehow
    > feel i would just be reading more complaints of "good luck", or "yeah,
    > like he's really gonna get that"....
    > only reaffirms my suspicions that ebay is best suited to mid-level
    > merchandise...
    > peace,
    > antony
    > "Alex Rodriguez" <adr5[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> In article <BD5DCD26.450%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >>
    >>>IMO it's not unethical. As a seller you aren't obligated to sell your
    >>>goods
    >>>for a price you don't like. True, it is extremely annoying to think you
    >>>are
    >>>about to get a great deal on something and then the seller kills the
    >>>auction. I thought I was going to win a nice GURU TT frame for $275. Too
    >>>good to be true?

    >> Not only is it unethical, but it is illegal too. If want a certain
    >> price,
    >> set a reserve or start the bidding at that price. This should come as no
    >> surprise to any ebay user.
    >>
    >>>Frustrating, but you can always check and see if the seller has a habit
    >>>of
    >>>ending auctions early.

    >> How would this person like it if I put in a very high bid and shortly
    >> before
    >> the auction ends I retract my bid? It's the same thing.
    >>
    >>>As you guys noted anyway, you could see that one coming from a mile away,
    >>>wanting over $4k for a used bike with stock componentry was pretty much
    >>>the
    >>>nail in the coffin from the very beginning. It wasn't likely that it was
    >>>going to go.
    >>>
    >>>In the future, if you are so hot to win the auction, bid it up to what
    >>>the
    >>>guy said he wanted.

    >> Better yet, bid it up much higher and then retract your bid. Give him a
    >> taste of his own medicine.
    >> -------------
    >> Alex

  15. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    "Antony Galvan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eh7_c.6756$w%[email protected]
    > perhaps you are all right...the truth is that i was contacted outside

    of
    > ebay by a friend of a friend who heard i was selling the bike.

    The truth!!! Well which is it? The reason given in the ad was because of
    an incorrect listing. How do you think you are perceived? Do you even
    care?

    PH

  16. Ground Zero

    Ground Zero Guest

  17. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "Phil Holman" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Antony Galvan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eh7_c.6756$w%[email protected]
    >
    >> perhaps you are all right...the truth is that i was contacted
    >> outside of ebay by a friend of a friend who heard i was selling the
    >> bike.

    > The truth!!! Well which is it? The reason given in the ad was
    > because of an incorrect listing. How do you think you are perceived?
    > Do you even care?

    Heh. He cares enough to tell us that it's our loss if his account
    gets yanked from eBay. I think that tells you all you need to know.

  18. Mark T

    Mark T Guest

    > > "Antony Galvan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:eh7_c.6756$w%[email protected]
    > >
    > >> perhaps you are all right...the truth is that i was contacted
    > >> outside of ebay by a friend of a friend who heard i was selling the
    > >> bike.

    Most people weighing in on this subject, I suppose, would gladly bid
    and want to win an auction for really trick items at a super low
    price. The only thing is that while others would do the same,
    competition for these items can be fierce. Many of us get beaten on
    ebay by snipers who go a dollar higher 15 seconds before the auction
    ends.

    Mr. Galvan is not being honest. One can tell by the way he phrases his
    reply, first an admission then a vague "friend of a friend"
    explanation.

    I proudly admit that I would not feel unethical by winning the $7000
    item for $2000 yet I know I would feel a little wierd about being the
    seller and getting all worried at the last minute when the item was
    about to go for way less than I wanted and then trying to pull the
    plug on it denying the poor bastard who almost had it won in a fair
    contest.

  19. "Mark T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    | > > "Antony Galvan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | > > news:eh7_c.6756$w%[email protected]

    | Most people weighing in on this subject, I suppose, would gladly bid
    | and want to win an auction for really trick items at a super low
    | price. The only thing is that while others would do the same,
    | competition for these items can be fierce. Many of us get beaten on
    | ebay by snipers who go a dollar higher 15 seconds before the auction
    | ends.
    |
    | Mr. Galvan is not being honest. One can tell by the way he phrases his
    | reply, first an admission then a vague "friend of a friend"
    | explanation.
    |
    | I proudly admit that I would not feel unethical by winning the $7000
    | item for $2000 yet I know I would feel a little wierd about being the
    | seller and getting all worried at the last minute when the item was
    | about to go for way less than I wanted and then trying to pull the
    | plug on it denying the poor bastard who almost had it won in a fair
    | contest.

    It may have been a "$7000 item" to someone, at sometime, but if it sells for
    $2000, it's now a $2000 item.

    as to sniping: Bid what you are willing to pay. And if someone else is
    willing to pay more.....

    the cruel realities of the marketplace.... for all involved.

    What the 'seller' did was clearly unethical, as he backed out of an
    agreement. Hopefully his actions will attach themselves to his reputation.
    Bidding low, winning, promptly paying, even if $1.00, would be completely
    ethical.

    ED3