Just a story.
I have a new aluminum frame. And carbon fork. And headset. So after reading all the stories on this
forum about making sure the frame head tube is parallel, I decided to take the frame to my local
bike shop and have the head tube faced. And the headset race pounded onto the carbon fork. And the
headset cups installed.
I went down to my favorite bike shop in my metro area of about 400,000 people. There are about 10 or
so bike shops in town. But I've always perceived this one as the higher end of all the shops. This
one sells Trek and Giant and Specialized and Litespeed and Colnago. And used to carry Cannondale.
They have two shops in town. I've dealt with them before and they always seemed to know what they
were doing.
I went to the counter guy and asked if they could "face the head tube". He lead me over to the
mechanic area and told the mechanic what I had said. The mechanic then explained to the counter guy
what I meant when I said "face the head tube". The mechanic said they did not do that at their
store, or their other store. He said there is a buy in town they refer this kind of business to. I
asked if this was the "local frame builder guy". And they said yes. So they took my name and number
down and said they would pass it on to the "local frame builder guy".
I guess I could try all of the other local bike shops until I find one that has the tools for facing
the head tube. And bottom bracket shell. But I'm curious to meet the local frame builder guy so I'll
do it this way. I did not even bother asking if the bike shop could flex hone the inside of the seat
tube. I'll ask the local frame builder guy for this service.
The local bike shop did pound the headset race onto the fork for free. And I asked if they would
sell me a seat tube/seatpost clamp in
31.8mm. But they said they did not have this and would have to special order it. I didn't bother
telling them it is a very common item and Nashbar has it for $3.99. I'll ask the local
frame builder guy if he has one in stock.
I still like this local bike shop. But I'm just surprised they did not offer a seemingly common
service like facing the head tube. Or have the tools to do it. I guess the Trek, Giant, Specialized,
Cannondale, Litespeed, and Colnago bikes they sell all come with faced head tubes, and bottom
bracket shells, and honed seat tubes. And I guess all of the bike shops which advertise on this rec
tech forum and say they do simple things like facing the head tube on frames must be part of 1% of
1% of bike shops which offer full services.