I gave up a whole bunch of times. Really. The stupid piece of [censored] I was
learning on was so anti-rideable that I several times threw it in the
corner.
Picture:
http://tinyurl.com/pn68
But I kept coming back. What spurred me on was the knowledge that a
totally ordinary human from my neighborhood could do it (and idle). If
he could, why couldn't I? It's a good thing I never figured out, back
then when I was 14, that he had a Schwinn and I had a P.O.S. The Schwinn
was a Cadillac and a Hummer rolled into one by comparison.
But I eventually got it. Only then did my Troxel become almost
completely unrideable, but falling apart under the weight of rider.
I know people who can't do lots of things. Including drive cars. I asked
about that when I worked for the driving school. Does anyone ever not
learn? The answer was along the lines of that there were people who
*shouldn't* ever drive. But for the most part, unless the person doesn't
have brain damage, or lacking cognitive skills, or physical damage
keeping them from working the controls, they can learn if they work at
it long enough. We had more than one student who took lessons for more
than a year before passing a road test.
I still can't juggle six balls with any regularity. But I have not
failed. I *will not* fail, even if I never finish learning.
So the answer may be no. Some people are better tuned to their balance
than others, but I believe if you have the physical and mental
equipment, you can learn to ride if you stick with it. If you have
neurological, inner ear, cognitive or other damage, this could impede or
stop you though. But I also know of several people who have overcome all
sorts of obstacles to ride, including people with varying levels of
developmental disabilities (retardedness), learning disabilities, bone
problems, and total blindness.
Better examples are given by places like the St. Helens school in the
60s and 70s when all the kids were riding unicycles. Did every kid in
school ride? According to what people tell me, no. It was not a
requirement of PE, to my knowledge. But the vast majority of the
school's population rode. This works well as a (small) population
sample.
--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge
John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com
"I should be wearing a helmet here -- so should you." -- George Peck,
who prefers not to wear one, in the 1991 video Rough Terrain Unicycling
------------------------------------------------------------------------
johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/32234