fake dura ace cable housing?

zaku

Jun 23, 2004
i bought a new shimano dura ace brake cable housing set from ebay. it's weird it didn't came with any shimano dura ace packaging and it came from hong kong.
are there even fake dura ace stuffs? on the cable housing it's printed "dura ace SLR" if this helps..

zaku said:
i bought a new shimano dura ace brake cable housing set from ebay. it's weird it didn't came with any shimano dura ace packaging and it came from hong kong.
are there even fake dura ace stuffs? on the cable housing it's printed "dura ace SLR" if this helps..
If this was a fake knock off, it probably would have come in fake Shimano packaging. If it came without packaging, it is a good bet that someone purchased complete Dura Ace cable sets and only needed the cable, not the housing. Anyway, just to be on the safe side, take it to your LBS and tell them of your concerns. They can probably tell you for certain if it is genuine Dura Ace.

zaku said:

Are you concerned because you may have been duped in buying 'original' stuff when it's not or are you concerned it won't work well? If number 2, it will probably work great. Most housing these days is good stuff, lined, durable and probably made in the same coupla places.

My guess is it was meant to be sold OEM... I believe that stuff is usually sold in bulk to bike manufacturers without the packaging.

As mentioned, even if it was fake you could probably never tell the difference, so you got the label... nobody will know it didn't come with a package unless you tell them.

EDIT: If you are concerned about getting genuine Dura-Ace in the future, get it from an authorized dealer.