Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Falcon cycle - any still out there?

Started by JohnO · · Last activity · 18 posts · 7,493 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
18 August 2003
Last activity
11 November 2012
Original author
JohnO
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
7,493
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This is a real long shot, but I have to start somewhere...

    I am starting a search for an example of my college days bike - an early 70's Falcon San Remo 76 bicycle. Reynolds 531 butted tubes/forks/stays frame, Campy Super Record, chromed stays and forks. It was light, quick, but not painfully stiff - a most graceful machine. I quit riding and sold it in the early 80's, and still kick myself for not keeping that bike.

    Started riding again a couple of years ago, and the more I ride my space age carbon framed bike, the more I want to find another Falcon like my old powder blue beauty.

    Does anyone have a clue where I might begin looking for one of these? It's probably a long shot, but I thought I'd look around and see if another one turns up. Even just the bare frame will do, 70's vintage Super Record equipment is cheap and easy to find.

    Thanks to anyone who might have seen one of these - it would be such a blast to bring back the old memories.

    --John

  2. I recently purchased an older Falcon Bicycle with
    decals and stem-tube plate stating "designed by Ernie
    Clements." I spent a good deal of time researching
    the bike on the Internet, but have found no useful
    dating information.

    One unique feature of the bike is its Simplex front
    derailleur. This derailleur mounts directly to the
    seat-tube and uses no cable. It's either a "Simplex
    Competition" or very similar model. Some web-sites
    made reference to this as a "suicide" derailleur, as
    it takes focus from the road to operate.

    The serial number of the bike is X 25118. Can you
    provide a manufacture date or any other useful
    information regarding this lovely old racer.

    I would appreciate any assistance you could provid

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by JohnO
    This is a real long shot, but I have to start somewhere...

    I am starting a search for an example of my college days bike - an early 70's Falcon San Remo 76 bicycle. Reynolds 531 butted tubes/forks/stays frame, Campy Super Record, chromed stays and forks. It was light, quick, but not painfully stiff - a most graceful machine. I quit riding and sold it in the early 80's, and still kick myself for not keeping that bike.

    Started riding again a couple of years ago, and the more I ride my space age carbon framed bike, the more I want to find another Falcon like my old powder blue beauty.

    Does anyone have a clue where I might begin looking for one of these? It's probably a long shot, but I thought I'd look around and see if another one turns up. Even just the bare frame will do, 70's vintage Super Record equipment is cheap and easy to find.

    Thanks to anyone who might have seen one of these - it would be such a blast to bring back the old memories.

    --John

  3. I saw a frame on ebay a few days ago...may want to check that out

  4. YOU ARE IN LUCK. I have just such a bicycle. The parts are not vintage Super Record but the top end Campy Brev Inter. I bought it about 10 years ago (used) and have not ridden it too much and just got it cleaned up. Was thinking about selling to someone who appreciated it

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by JohnO
    This is a real long shot, but I have to start somewhere...

    I am starting a search for an example of my college days bike - an early 70's Falcon San Remo 76 bicycle. Reynolds 531 butted tubes/forks/stays frame, Campy Super Record, chromed stays and forks. It was light, quick, but not painfully stiff - a most graceful machine. I quit riding and sold it in the early 80's, and still kick myself for not keeping that bike.

    Started riding again a couple of years ago, and the more I ride my space age carbon framed bike, the more I want to find another Falcon like my old powder blue beauty.

    Does anyone have a clue where I might begin looking for one of these? It's probably a long shot, but I thought I'd look around and see if another one turns up. Even just the bare frame will do, 70's vintage Super Record equipment is cheap and easy to find.

    Thanks to anyone who might have seen one of these - it would be such a blast to bring back the old memories.

    --John

    😄 [IMG]http://[/IMG]

  5. Okay, you got my attention. Can you tell me what size it is? I need a 23"-24".

    Also, do you know if this is the touring frame or the racing frame?

    --John

  6. I believe it's the racing frame (although I'm not sure), but it's the Reynolds 531c, butted frame. It's a 22", however.

    Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by JohnO
    Okay, you got my attention. Can you tell me what size it is? I need a 23"-24".

    Also, do you know if this is the touring frame or the racing frame?

    --John

  7. That must be the red one on ebay - sharp looking, but too small for me. There was a large one that just sold, but it was mid to late 80's, and I really have my heart set on an early 70's San Remo racing model. The search continues...

  8. I own a 1973 model 92 (I think was the model no.)
    that I bought new.It is the Renolds double butted
    531 frame with all crome slopping front fork and rear
    triangle and crome head set lugs.Has campy nuovo
    record groupo all original and excellent condition.
    Would like to sell the bike,more info.available if interested.

  9. By all means, yes. Mine had the chrome sloping fork, while most had the boxy fork crown.

    You can also contact me at [email hidden]

  10. I have a 72-73 Falcon. Are you still looking?

  11. Possibly - what's the model and frame size?

  12. I have this old bike that I know little about. It has been thru many hands, but decently cared for. The last guy kept it in good condition but moved on to a custom bike. Any info??

  13. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by JohnO
    Possibly - what's the model and frame size?

    Here are the details from the decals on the bike:

    Falcon Special Designed by Ernie Clements
    Frame Tubing 531
    Shimano Titlist Shifter
    Weinmann 610
    Vainqueur 998
    27"

    [email hidden]

  14. I have the same frame; however, the equipment is all campi. I purchased the bike new about 35 years ago. I was told that it was a racing frame. The frame is baby blue in color.

    i am changing my email address to [email hidden]. if you want more info, respond to this email address. Sincerely - Marty Freeman

    heathcat said:

    I recently purchased an older Falcon Bicycle with
    decals and stem-tube plate stating "designed by Ernie
    Clements." I spent a good deal of time researching
    the bike on the Internet, but have found no useful
    dating information.

    One unique feature of the bike is its Simplex front
    derailleur. This derailleur mounts directly to the
    seat-tube and uses no cable. It's either a "Simplex
    Competition" or very similar model. Some web-sites
    made reference to this as a "suicide" derailleur, as
    it takes focus from the road to operate.

    The serial number of the bike is X 25118. Can you
    provide a manufacture date or any other useful
    information regarding this lovely old racer.

    I would appreciate any assistance you could provid

  15. i have a falcon eddy merckz 70's. orange and blue all campy and original.

  16. I have a Falcon road bike, circa 1978, white men's 23.5" frame, Reynolds 531, Campi hubs. All original except wheels, saddle and handlebar tape. Still looking?

  17. Actually, I've been a little too successful. I'm now the owner of two early 70's San Remo bikes, one for me and one for my wife. Now if I could just find a set of the brown Campy gum hoods for the brake levers...

  18. Hi John,
    Don't know if it's of any use, but I have taken in part exchange a Falcon Tour de Monde bike, frame ser. no. 30661. It is in full working order, 10 speed campagnolo gears, chromed forks etc. Can send you some photo's if required,
    Ken

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.