"Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:This is a nice soup and smells great while it is cooking. I use beef
base rather than boullion.
Beef barley soup from Betty Crocker
(I've never added the MSG, and I use larger amounts of
the seasonings. nancy)
[snips}
This looks really good. Like you, I will forgo the MSG.
(One of the reasons I cook is to keep stuff like this out of
our food.) And, I don't use bouillion unless desperate, and
then only as a seasoning. I would also use beef broth. I
assume Kroger has a beef equivalent to the chicken broth
I buy from them, in the carton. It's good, and often on sale
at half the price of other "name" brands.
I think I will add white corn and peas for texture.
The beef broth to tomato ratio looks just right. I will
taste to get it perfect. The right balance is to me the key
to a good vegetable beef soup. Good and beefy tasting,
but with just enough tomato tang. I will also add the beefy
broth from the braising, that ought to be really good.
I actually do this when I braise pork for stir fry, put the
brown juice in after I put the vegetables in the oil, and
before I put the meat in and the seasonings/soy.
Thank you.
Quoted message said:1 pound boneless chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 teaspoons instant beef bouillon
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon each dried marjoram & thyme
1/4 teaspoon MSG
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
3 medium carrots, sliced
1 large stalk celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz) whole tomatoes with liquid
1/2 cup uncooked barley
Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium
heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the bouillon through
the bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender,
1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Stir in 4 cups water and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling,
reduce heat. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about
35 minutes.
--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com