feed back on RANS Velocity 2

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Norman, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Norman

    Norman Guest

    In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
    Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
    great bike,

    Tags:

  2. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    [email protected] (Norman) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
    > Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
    > great bike,

    The most critical configuration on a recumbent is the
    relation of the seat height to BB. The RANS V2 is similar to
    the Tailwind, but not to the Tour Easy. The V2 has a higher
    BB than the Tailwind and is roughly similar to most SWB
    (like the V-Rex). The ideal relationship of seat height to
    BB is actually the Tailwind where the seat is about 4 inches
    higher than the BB. But I find that the V2 BB is not too
    high. But the higher the BB, the greater the handling
    difficulty (and the possibility of foot numbness). That is
    why low BB recumbents like the Tour Easy are so great. They
    handle superbly. The only downside to a low BB is that you
    cannot get the kind of comfort you get with a higher BB
    which is normally only found on SWB. That is why the V2 (a
    LWB) is fairly unique.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  3. Steve Baker

    Steve Baker Guest

    [email protected] (Norman) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
    > Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
    > great bike,

    It is a great bike. I had one, then sold it to get the
    latest euro-racer and have regretted it ever since. I just
    bought another one. It's fast, comfy, and, with the new bar
    configurations, pretty easy to handle even at low speeds.
    (The original setup was a bit wobbly at very low speeds.)

    FWIW Steve Baker Ridin' the cruise missile again!

  4. Rod Kuehl

    Rod Kuehl Guest

    "Steve Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Norman) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
    > > Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
    > > great bike,
    >
    > It is a great bike. I had one, then sold it to get the
    > latest euro-racer and have regretted it ever since. I just
    > bought another one. It's fast, comfy, and, with the new
    > bar configurations, pretty easy to handle even at low
    > speeds. (The original setup was a bit wobbly at very low
    > speeds.)
    >
    > FWIW Steve Baker Ridin' the cruise missile again!

    ====================

    Agree with Steve. The V2 is a tremendous bike. I got
    thousands of miles of enjoyment from my black 2001,
    especially when I upgraded to the Phil Wood hubs. That bike
    is superfast. I sold it on ebay last year when I got the
    Strada built up.

    Be sure and get the fairing. I can't imagine riding the V2
    without it.

    Rod Kuehl Strada Riverview, FL

  5. Daybiker

    Daybiker Guest

    "Rod Kuehl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Steve Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > [email protected] (Norman) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and
    > > > a Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like
    > > > a great bike,
    > >
    > > It is a great bike. I had one, then sold it to get the
    > > latest euro-racer and have regretted it ever since. I
    > > just bought another one. It's fast, comfy, and, with the
    > > new bar configurations, pretty easy to handle even at
    > > low speeds. (The original setup was a bit wobbly at very
    > > low speeds.)
    > >
    > > FWIW Steve Baker Ridin' the cruise missile again!
    > I have a V2 that I have customized to suit the way I
    > ride. The first thing I did was get rid of the fairing.
    > I upgraded to the new Rans bars and stem. I also
    > lowered the gears a little. It is a very fast touring
    > bike. It has to be the best bang for the buck out their
    > right now........in it's 2004 form.
    Moose
    > ====================
    >
    > Agree with Steve. The V2 is a tremendous bike. I got
    > thousands of miles of enjoyment from my black 2001,
    > especially when I upgraded to the Phil Wood hubs. That
    > bike is superfast. I sold it on ebay last year when I got
    > the Strada built up.
    >
    > Be sure and get the fairing. I can't imagine riding the V2
    > without it.
    >
    > Rod Kuehl Strada Riverview, FL

  6. In article
    <[email protected]>, Edward
    Dolan says...

    >[email protected] (Norman) wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
    >> Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
    >> great bike,
    >
    >The most critical configuration on a recumbent is the
    >relation of the seat height to BB. The RANS V2 is similar
    >to the Tailwind, but not to the Tour Easy. The V2 has a
    >higher BB than the Tailwind and is roughly similar to most
    >SWB (like the V-Rex). The ideal relationship of seat height
    >to BB is actually the Tailwind where the seat is about 4
    >inches higher than the BB. But I find that the V2 BB is not
    >too high. But the higher the BB, the greater the handling
    >difficulty (and the possibility of foot numbness). That is
    >why low BB recumbents like the Tour Easy are so great. They
    >handle superbly. The only downside to a low BB is that you
    >cannot get the kind of comfort you get with a higher BB
    >which is normally only found on SWB. That is why the V2 (a
    >LWB) is fairly unique.
    >
    >Ed Dolan - Minnesota

    I hate to agree with Ed on anything, but this time (except
    for his grammer) he is spot on. What distinguishes the V2 is
    the height of the BB. If like me you want and/or need a high
    BB, then the V2 is one of the few LWB bikes out there to
    consider. If you don't want a higher BB, then keep looking.

    I've ridden both the older version, and the new less
    expensive model with lower level components. The new model
    is a really great buy, but doesn't really bring out the
    potential of the bike. But the good news is that you can
    readily upgrade the components and wheels when you want to,
    and convert your budget LWB to a great bent.

    By the way, if interested in a new V2 you should contact
    Mark at Power On Cycling for a quote on a custom V2 with
    upgraded components and wheels. For about $700 more you will
    get a hell of a lot more bike.

    Steve Christensen Midland, MI

  7. Vcubed

    Vcubed New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    If you are of middling X-seam and have a choice, go for the larger frame. This will allow you to lean further back and will improve your weight distribution.

    I like my Velocity, but am looking for something a little more aero to cut into those nasty spring headwinds. My Velocity will be the tour bike and the new one will be my fast dayrider.

  8. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > In article
    > <[email protected]>, Edward
    > Dolan says...
    > >
    > >[email protected] (Norman) wrote in message news:<2773ac-
    > >[email protected]>...
    > >
    > >> In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
    > >> Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
    > >> great bike,
    > >
    > >The most critical configuration on a recumbent is the
    > >relation of the seat height to BB. The RANS V2 is similar
    > >to the Tailwind, but not to the Tour Easy. The V2 has a
    > >higher BB than the Tailwind and is roughly similar to
    > >most SWB (like the V-Rex). The ideal relationship of seat
    > >height to BB is actually the Tailwind where the seat is
    > >about 4 inches higher than the BB. But I find that the V2
    > >BB is not too high. But the higher the BB, the greater
    > >the handling difficulty (and the possibility of foot
    > >numbness). That is why low BB recumbents like the Tour
    > >Easy are so great. They handle superbly. The only
    > >downside to a low BB is that you cannot get the kind of
    > >comfort you get with a higher BB which is normally only
    > >found on SWB. That is why the V2 (a LWB) is fairly
    > >unique.
    > >
    > >Ed Dolan - Minnesota
    >

    > I hate to agree with Ed on anything, but this time (except
    > for his grammer) he is spot on ...

    I would like you to critique my grammar as I do not see
    anything wrong with it. It seems to me clear and to the
    point. I am only discussing BB height in relation to the
    seat. Where have I gone astray with respect to my grammar?

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

    PS. You have misspelled grammar. This is just to let you
    know that none of us is perfect.

  9. In article
    <[email protected]>, Edward
    Dolan says...

    >Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote in
    >message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> In article
    >> <[email protected]>, Edward
    >> Dolan says...
    >> >
    >> >[email protected] (Norman) wrote in message news:<2773a-
    >> >[email protected]>...

    >> >The most critical configuration on a recumbent is the
    >> >relation of the seat height to BB. The RANS V2 is
    >> >similar to the Tailwind, but not to the Tour Easy. The
    >> >V2 has a higher BB than the Tailwind and is roughly
    >> >similar to most SWB (like the V-Rex). The ideal
    >> >relationship of seat height to BB is actually the
    >> >Tailwind where the seat is about 4 inches higher than
    >> >the BB. But I find that the V2 BB is not too high. But
    >> >the higher the BB, the greater the handling difficulty
    >> >(and the possibility of foot numbness). That is why low
    >> >BB recumbents like the Tour Easy are so great. They
    >> >handle superbly. The only downside to a low BB is that
    >> >you cannot get the kind of comfort you get with a higher
    >> >BB which is normally only found on SWB. That is why the
    >> >V2 (a LWB) is fairly unique.
    >> >
    >> >Ed Dolan - Minnesota
    >>

    >>I hate to agree with Ed on anything, but this time (except
    >>for his grammer) he is spot on ...
    >
    >I would like you to critique my grammar as I do not see
    >anything wrong with it. It seems to me clear and to the
    >point. I am only discussing BB height in relation to the
    >seat. Where have I gone astray with respect to my grammar?
    >
    >Ed Dolan - Minnesota
    >
    >PS. You have misspelled grammar. This is just to let you
    > know that none of us is perfect.

    Touché! Clearly I need to use my spell checker more often to
    catch such typos.

    As to my nit to pick: I was taught in English composition
    that "unique" is an absolute. Something either is, or is
    not, unique. So it would be improper to qualify the word as
    in "fairly unique." "Fairly unusual" to be sure, but not
    "fairly unique."

    All of which is both pointless and pedantic, but seems to
    result from having a librarian and a university professor
    for parents.

    Steve Christensen

  10. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > In article
    > <[email protected]>, Edward
    > Dolan says...

    [...]

    > >>I hate to agree with Ed on anything, but this time
    > >>(except for his grammer) he is spot on ...
    > >
    > >I would like you to critique my grammar as I do not see
    > >anything wrong with it. It seems to me clear and to the
    > >point. I am only discussing BB height in relation to the
    > >seat. Where have I gone astray with respect to my
    > >grammar?
    > >
    > >Ed Dolan - Minnesota
    > >
    > >PS. You have misspelled grammar. This is just to let you
    > > know that none of us is perfect.
    >

    > Touché! Clearly I need to use my spell checker more often
    > to catch such typos.

    No, it was more likely misspelled than a typo. What is a
    spell checker?

    > As to my nit to pick: I was taught in English composition
    > that "unique" is an absolute. Something either is, or is
    > not, unique. So it would be improper to qualify the word
    > as in "fairly unique." "Fairly unusual" to be sure, but
    > not "fairly unique."
    >
    > All of which is both pointless and pedantic, but seems to
    > result from having a librarian and a university professor
    > for parents.

    No, that is a good point and I believe you are quite
    correct. I always choose to use many words where fewer words
    would do and that does get me into trouble on occasion. I
    think what I am doing is trying to qualify my absolutist
    kind of statements so as to protect my ass. I should worry
    less about my ass and more about my grammar. There is never
    any subsitute to thinking about the words that we use.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  11. Wheel Dr

    Wheel Dr Guest

    I'm glad that you brought up the sizing issue. I suggest
    that if you a within 2" of max X-Seam you go to the XL. I
    rode a V2 for a good while. I would build myself another
    one. I think it is as fast as my Strada M5 which is the bike
    I went to from the V2. The fairing is an issue. I rode the
    bike way laid back which decreased the effect of the fairing
    . I did roll down and roll out tests with and without the
    fairing. It was a draw. However, If you ride in a more
    closed position closer to the fairing then it will aid you
    aerodynamicly. I really need to try out the new RANS seat.
    If I was to go to a V2 for a LWB I would want a lighter
    seat. As was mentioned before, this is high BB bike and is
    not as docile at low speed as many would like.

    For Bacchetta users I have both size BrainBox and OFA
    Bacchetta bags back in stock and have just made another
    batch of handlebar mounted Mirracycle mirrors that work well
    on Bacchetta's.

    Jude Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sport Inc. 800-586-6645

    news:p[email protected]...