feed back on RANS Velocity 2

Norman

Guest
In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
great bike,

[email protected] (Norman) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
> Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
> great bike,

The most critical configuration on a recumbent is the
relation of the seat height to BB. The RANS V2 is similar to
the Tailwind, but not to the Tour Easy. The V2 has a higher
BB than the Tailwind and is roughly similar to most SWB
(like the V-Rex). The ideal relationship of seat height to
BB is actually the Tailwind where the seat is about 4 inches
higher than the BB. But I find that the V2 BB is not too
high. But the higher the BB, the greater the handling
difficulty (and the possibility of foot numbness). That is
why low BB recumbents like the Tour Easy are so great. They
handle superbly. The only downside to a low BB is that you
cannot get the kind of comfort you get with a higher BB
which is normally only found on SWB. That is why the V2 (a
LWB) is fairly unique.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

[email protected] (Norman) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
> Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
> great bike,

It is a great bike. I had one, then sold it to get the
latest euro-racer and have regretted it ever since. I just
bought another one. It's fast, comfy, and, with the new bar
configurations, pretty easy to handle even at low speeds.
(The original setup was a bit wobbly at very low speeds.)

FWIW Steve Baker Ridin' the cruise missile again!

"Steve Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Norman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
> > Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
> > great bike,
>
> It is a great bike. I had one, then sold it to get the
> latest euro-racer and have regretted it ever since. I just
> bought another one. It's fast, comfy, and, with the new
> bar configurations, pretty easy to handle even at low
> speeds. (The original setup was a bit wobbly at very low
> speeds.)
>
> FWIW Steve Baker Ridin' the cruise missile again!

====================

Agree with Steve. The V2 is a tremendous bike. I got
thousands of miles of enjoyment from my black 2001,
especially when I upgraded to the Phil Wood hubs. That bike
is superfast. I sold it on ebay last year when I got the
Strada built up.

Be sure and get the fairing. I can't imagine riding the V2
without it.

Rod Kuehl Strada Riverview, FL

"Rod Kuehl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Steve Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Norman) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and
> > > a Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like
> > > a great bike,
> >
> > It is a great bike. I had one, then sold it to get the
> > latest euro-racer and have regretted it ever since. I
> > just bought another one. It's fast, comfy, and, with the
> > new bar configurations, pretty easy to handle even at
> > low speeds. (The original setup was a bit wobbly at very
> > low speeds.)
> >
> > FWIW Steve Baker Ridin' the cruise missile again!
> I have a V2 that I have customized to suit the way I
> ride. The first thing I did was get rid of the fairing.
> I upgraded to the new Rans bars and stem. I also
> lowered the gears a little. It is a very fast touring
> bike. It has to be the best bang for the buck out their
> right now........in it's 2004 form.
Moose
> ====================
>
> Agree with Steve. The V2 is a tremendous bike. I got
> thousands of miles of enjoyment from my black 2001,
> especially when I upgraded to the Phil Wood hubs. That
> bike is superfast. I sold it on ebay last year when I got
> the Strada built up.
>
> Be sure and get the fairing. I can't imagine riding the V2
> without it.
>
> Rod Kuehl Strada Riverview, FL

In article
<[email protected]>, Edward
Dolan says...

>[email protected] (Norman) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
>> Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
>> great bike,
>
>The most critical configuration on a recumbent is the
>relation of the seat height to BB. The RANS V2 is similar
>to the Tailwind, but not to the Tour Easy. The V2 has a
>higher BB than the Tailwind and is roughly similar to most
>SWB (like the V-Rex). The ideal relationship of seat height
>to BB is actually the Tailwind where the seat is about 4
>inches higher than the BB. But I find that the V2 BB is not
>too high. But the higher the BB, the greater the handling
>difficulty (and the possibility of foot numbness). That is
>why low BB recumbents like the Tour Easy are so great. They
>handle superbly. The only downside to a low BB is that you
>cannot get the kind of comfort you get with a higher BB
>which is normally only found on SWB. That is why the V2 (a
>LWB) is fairly unique.
>
>Ed Dolan - Minnesota

I hate to agree with Ed on anything, but this time (except
for his grammer) he is spot on. What distinguishes the V2 is
the height of the BB. If like me you want and/or need a high
BB, then the V2 is one of the few LWB bikes out there to
consider. If you don't want a higher BB, then keep looking.

I've ridden both the older version, and the new less
expensive model with lower level components. The new model
is a really great buy, but doesn't really bring out the
potential of the bike. But the good news is that you can
readily upgrade the components and wheels when you want to,
and convert your budget LWB to a great bent.

By the way, if interested in a new V2 you should contact
Mark at Power On Cycling for a quote on a custom V2 with
upgraded components and wheels. For about $700 more you will
get a hell of a lot more bike.

Steve Christensen Midland, MI

If you are of middling X-seam and have a choice, go for the larger frame. This will allow you to lean further back and will improve your weight distribution.

I like my Velocity, but am looking for something a little more aero to cut into those nasty spring headwinds. My Velocity will be the tour bike and the new one will be my fast dayrider.

Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> In article
> <[email protected]>, Edward
> Dolan says...
> >
> >[email protected] (Norman) wrote in message news:<2773ac-
> >[email protected]>...
> >
> >> In the market for a recumbent, I have a Tour Easy and a
> >> Tailwind, love them both. the Velocity 2 looks like a
> >> great bike,
> >
> >The most critical configuration on a recumbent is the
> >relation of the seat height to BB. The RANS V2 is similar
> >to the Tailwind, but not to the Tour Easy. The V2 has a
> >higher BB than the Tailwind and is roughly similar to
> >most SWB (like the V-Rex). The ideal relationship of seat
> >height to BB is actually the Tailwind where the seat is
> >about 4 inches higher than the BB. But I find that the V2
> >BB is not too high. But the higher the BB, the greater
> >the handling difficulty (and the possibility of foot
> >numbness). That is why low BB recumbents like the Tour
> >Easy are so great. They handle superbly. The only
> >downside to a low BB is that you cannot get the kind of
> >comfort you get with a higher BB which is normally only
> >found on SWB. That is why the V2 (a LWB) is fairly
> >unique.
> >
> >Ed Dolan - Minnesota
>

> I hate to agree with Ed on anything, but this time (except
> for his grammer) he is spot on ...

I would like you to critique my grammar as I do not see
anything wrong with it. It seems to me clear and to the
point. I am only discussing BB height in relation to the
seat. Where have I gone astray with respect to my grammar?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

PS. You have misspelled grammar. This is just to let you
know that none of us is perfect.

In article
<[email protected]>, Edward
Dolan says...

>Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>> In article
>> <[email protected]>, Edward
>> Dolan says...
>> >
>> >[email protected] (Norman) wrote in message news:<2773a-
>> >[email protected]>...

>> >The most critical configuration on a recumbent is the
>> >relation of the seat height to BB. The RANS V2 is
>> >similar to the Tailwind, but not to the Tour Easy. The
>> >V2 has a higher BB than the Tailwind and is roughly
>> >similar to most SWB (like the V-Rex). The ideal
>> >relationship of seat height to BB is actually the
>> >Tailwind where the seat is about 4 inches higher than
>> >the BB. But I find that the V2 BB is not too high. But
>> >the higher the BB, the greater the handling difficulty
>> >(and the possibility of foot numbness). That is why low
>> >BB recumbents like the Tour Easy are so great. They
>> >handle superbly. The only downside to a low BB is that
>> >you cannot get the kind of comfort you get with a higher
>> >BB which is normally only found on SWB. That is why the
>> >V2 (a LWB) is fairly unique.
>> >
>> >Ed Dolan - Minnesota
>>

>>I hate to agree with Ed on anything, but this time (except
>>for his grammer) he is spot on ...
>
>I would like you to critique my grammar as I do not see
>anything wrong with it. It seems to me clear and to the
>point. I am only discussing BB height in relation to the
>seat. Where have I gone astray with respect to my grammar?
>
>Ed Dolan - Minnesota
>
>PS. You have misspelled grammar. This is just to let you
> know that none of us is perfect.

Touché! Clearly I need to use my spell checker more often to
catch such typos.

As to my nit to pick: I was taught in English composition
that "unique" is an absolute. Something either is, or is
not, unique. So it would be improper to qualify the word as
in "fairly unique." "Fairly unusual" to be sure, but not
"fairly unique."

All of which is both pointless and pedantic, but seems to
result from having a librarian and a university professor
for parents.

Steve Christensen

Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> In article
> <[email protected]>, Edward
> Dolan says...

[...]

> >>I hate to agree with Ed on anything, but this time
> >>(except for his grammer) he is spot on ...
> >
> >I would like you to critique my grammar as I do not see
> >anything wrong with it. It seems to me clear and to the
> >point. I am only discussing BB height in relation to the
> >seat. Where have I gone astray with respect to my
> >grammar?
> >
> >Ed Dolan - Minnesota
> >
> >PS. You have misspelled grammar. This is just to let you
> > know that none of us is perfect.
>

> Touché! Clearly I need to use my spell checker more often
> to catch such typos.

No, it was more likely misspelled than a typo. What is a
spell checker?

> As to my nit to pick: I was taught in English composition
> that "unique" is an absolute. Something either is, or is
> not, unique. So it would be improper to qualify the word
> as in "fairly unique." "Fairly unusual" to be sure, but
> not "fairly unique."
>
> All of which is both pointless and pedantic, but seems to
> result from having a librarian and a university professor
> for parents.

No, that is a good point and I believe you are quite
correct. I always choose to use many words where fewer words
would do and that does get me into trouble on occasion. I
think what I am doing is trying to qualify my absolutist
kind of statements so as to protect my ass. I should worry
less about my ass and more about my grammar. There is never
any subsitute to thinking about the words that we use.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

I'm glad that you brought up the sizing issue. I suggest
that if you a within 2" of max X-Seam you go to the XL. I
rode a V2 for a good while. I would build myself another
one. I think it is as fast as my Strada M5 which is the bike
I went to from the V2. The fairing is an issue. I rode the
bike way laid back which decreased the effect of the fairing
. I did roll down and roll out tests with and without the
fairing. It was a draw. However, If you ride in a more
closed position closer to the fairing then it will aid you
aerodynamicly. I really need to try out the new RANS seat.
If I was to go to a V2 for a LWB I would want a lighter
seat. As was mentioned before, this is high BB bike and is
not as docile at low speed as many would like.

For Bacchetta users I have both size BrainBox and OFA
Bacchetta bags back in stock and have just made another
batch of handlebar mounted Mirracycle mirrors that work well
on Bacchetta's.

Jude Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sport Inc. 800-586-6645

news:p[email protected]...