Feedback from Connex Brisbane (see: Avoiding buses)

Karen Gallagher

Guest
I got an email from Connex following up on my complaint:
<quote>
Sandy Buckman [[email protected]] wrote:
Dear Karen,

Thank you for you complaint regarding one of our buses driving too close to
you when you were cycling.

We have spoken about this at the drivers meeting and asked the drivers to be
more aware of cyclists.

If the Cyclist Assosication has any brochers we are happy to display them
around the depot.

An e-mail has been sent to the General Manager regarding the accident with
your phone no.

Regards,
Pat
<unquote>

I just hope they can drive better than they can spell a form letter .....

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Karen

I'll try to dig up some correspondence I had with the State Manager of
Boral once. One of their trucks drove close to us early one morning. I
followed and popped into a building site after him. The guy got all
abusive, so I told him he was reported and rode away. The cops weren't
interested until I rattled the cage and asked for the Super, then they
said they would visit him (and check out his tail light that didn't
work). Then I wrote to Boral and explained the situation. All the
truckers are on contract. They got the whole lot in and gave them
'refresher training' and told the guy he was on probation, with the
sack for more behaviour of the same ilk. The State Manager wrote back
to me with all this. I think the point is to take the fight up to them
on the grounds of public image - not good for marketing, sales and the
share price. Hit the right buttons and they will respond.

Donga

Donga said:
[...]

well said. Perhaps Stephen Mayne could stand up for cycling shareholders rights at the AGM too?

Donga said:
Karen

I'll try to dig up some correspondence I had with the State Manager of
Boral once. One of their trucks drove close to us early one morning. I
followed and popped into a building site after him.

Over the last six months or so I've become increasingly aware of how couteous the Coca-Cola truckies are. I mean they're not just obeying the road rules, they're conspicuously courteous.

So anyway last week I was heading down Flinders Street towards and there was a Coca Cola truck behind me. As I've come to expect he displayed model drving and when he did get past me I caught him on the driver's side.

``You Coca Cola guys rock, your driving's great.''

Grinning from ear to ear, ``We have to be mate, we're in these big red trucks.''

``Well believe me it's appreciated. I'm up and down Centre Dandenong Road every day and you make my life a lot more pleasant.''

Light goes green, ``No worries, catch you later.''

Moral of the story, well there's a couple I suppose. One is that driver behaviour whilst on company time can be influenced from the top. The other is that it makes a nice change to pass on a compliment every once in a while.

EuanB:
>... it makes a nice change to pass on a compliment every once in a while.

Brilliant!

Donga

EuanB said:
[...]

That's why Telstra vehicles have those 'Dont like my driving? call xxxxxx' on em after htey became notorious hoon-meisters a few years' back.

My gripe-of-the-month is couriers (in particular) walking out to vehicle, not looking and opening door whilst getting in. OR doing same then leaving gaping open in bikelane...

Donga wrote:
> Karen
>
> I'll try to dig up some correspondence I had with the State Manager of
> Boral once. One of their trucks drove close to us early one morning. I
> followed and popped into a building site after him. The guy got all
> abusive, so I told him he was reported and rode away. The cops weren't
> interested until I rattled the cage and asked for the Super, then they
> said they would visit him (and check out his tail light that didn't
> work). Then I wrote to Boral and explained the situation. All the
> truckers are on contract. They got the whole lot in and gave them
> 'refresher training' and told the guy he was on probation, with the
> sack for more behaviour of the same ilk. The State Manager wrote back
> to me with all this. I think the point is to take the fight up to them
> on the grounds of public image - not good for marketing, sales and the
> share price. Hit the right buttons and they will respond.
>
> Donga

Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I'm not going to ease up on them as my survival
does rather depend on furthering their education :O

Still considering whether or not to nip up to the Capalaba cop shop & making
a report - I suspect I won't as the local plod is kept pretty busy with
local villains as it is. They are a very helpful gang up there, though, on
past experience.

Karen

--

EuanB <[email protected]> wrote:

> ``You Coca Cola guys rock, your driving's great.''
>
> Grinning from ear to ear,

tooth free?

--
Peter McCallum