General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Feeling "deprived"

Started by Luna · · Last activity · 28 posts · 812 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 July 2005
Last activity
5 July 2005
Original author
Luna
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
812
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–28 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "J. David Anderson" <jdavidanderson_@hotmail> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have difficulty understanding people who decide on a low carb approach
    to diet and then immediately hunt down the same high carb food types that
    caused their initial weight problems. They aren't changing lifestyle, they
    are merely switching brands.

    That's it in a nutshell.

  2. Luna said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "Pat" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Luna, it takes two people to play a game. You're playing one with her, now.
    Ignore the game and it will stop.

    Pat in TX

    I don't think it's a game. Nanner's not a troll. I consider it a
    friendly debate, and I hope nanner does too.

    This isn't the first time someone here has advised me not to argue with
    someone, what's that all about? I appreciate the peace-keeping impulse,
    but I've noticed a trend, not just here but irl too, of people being
    afraid to voice differing opinions, I'm guessing out of fear of giving
    offense or starting a fight. That saddens me.

    Well, there's a time and place for voicing opinions and not voicing
    opinions. Never argue religion or politics at a family gathering -
    (unless you know the participants won't be offended, in which case it
    can be fun). In a news group like this, sometimes it is best to hold
    back, sometimes not.

    Now as to your deprived argument, after 3 years of low-carbing and
    on maintenance for 2.5 years, I felt totally deprived. I wanted pies
    and more pies. In the last 3 months, I have baked at least 2 dozen
    pies. Pecan Pies, Lemon Pies, Carmel Pies, and lots and lots of
    Chocolate and Coconut Pies. Lots of beautiful meringue on my pies.
    I no longer feel deprived. In fact, I have an unopened carton of
    buttermilk in the fridge (right next to a half plate of deboned
    chicken<g>😉 that is approaching the expiration date right now.
    Buttermilk Pie was next on my list but I just don't have the craving
    anymore. Now here is the fun part..... I took all those bites of
    pie and it was so good and satisfying with tastes and textures that I
    had deprived myself of for years. The sensations boggled the mind.

    But I didn't swallow any of it. I just tasted it and felt it and
    enjoyed it without swallowing. I didn't gain any weight either. In
    fact I lost a pound or two.

    And finally, I'm satisfied and no longer feeling deprived. Back to
    eating to live instead of living to eat. Excuse me now while I go
    get a piece of cheese.

    Now let all the wackos respond about how sick this content satisfied
    non-deprived sicko is for sharing his opinions in the newsgroup.
    Bring it on

  3. Binge and purge, eh?

    It worked for Karen Carpenter.

    --
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

    "JimL" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Now let all the wackos respond about how sick this content satisfied
    non-deprived sicko is for sharing his opinions in the newsgroup.
    Bring it on


  4. Quoted message said:

    I have difficulty understanding people who decide on a low carb approach
    to diet and then immediately hunt down the same high carb food types that
    caused their initial weight problems. They aren't changing lifestyle, they
    are merely switching brands.

    Regards

    David

    You are assuming that the low carb version and the high carb version has the
    same effect on people. People do have to pay attention to calories.
    However, a lc tortilla with lots of fibre and whole grain is not going to
    produce the same reaction as one that is made with a simple enriched flour.

    In certain cases (diet soda) the substitute has a lot less calories and a
    reduced effect on blood sugar. In other cases the calorie level may be
    higher but hopefully the satiation level is higher and the person will
    consume less overall.

    Sid...

  5. You're right. It certainly does depend on the food. There are still some
    LC formulated snacks that aren't much more nutritious than their high-carb
    originals just like one poster pointed out regarding the low-fat formulated
    things.
    The LC flour substitute blend I make is very nutritious with oat and flax
    giving everything I make with it lots of healthy fibre, omega-3 and
    beta-glucans. It's also about half the calories of regular flour. So my
    cookies and muffins are actually good for me. And they don't make me want
    to overeat them since the fibre makes them quite filling.

    sprudil said:

    You are assuming that the low carb version and the high carb version has the
    same effect on people. People do have to pay attention to calories.
    However, a lc tortilla with lots of fibre and whole grain is not going to
    produce the same reaction as one that is made with a simple enriched flour.

    In certain cases (diet soda) the substitute has a lot less calories and a
    reduced effect on blood sugar. In other cases the calorie level may be
    higher but hopefully the satiation level is higher and the person will
    consume less overall.

    -----
    Bev

  6. :
    : > Luna, it takes two people to play a game. You're playing one with her,
    now.
    : > Ignore the game and it will stop.
    : >
    : > Pat in TX
    :
    : I don't think it's a game. Nanner's not a troll. I consider it a
    : friendly debate, and I hope nanner does too.

    Uh, no, Luna. She is deliberately pushing your buttons and you are rushing
    to "explain" yourself. You don't have to do that. It's no debate; it's a
    tease and you're "it".

    Pat in TX

  7. "Pat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    :
    : > Luna, it takes two people to play a game. You're playing one with her,
    now.
    : > Ignore the game and it will stop.
    : >
    : > Pat in TX
    :
    : I don't think it's a game. Nanner's not a troll. I consider it a
    : friendly debate, and I hope nanner does too.

    Uh, no, Luna. She is deliberately pushing your buttons and you are rushing
    to "explain" yourself. You don't have to do that. It's no debate; it's a
    tease and you're "it".

    Pat in TX

    Ya know, I'm not teasing her but I *was* in a picky mood when I was posting.
    I do generally roll my eyes at alot of Luna's posts and I meant the things I
    said but I wasn't trying to pick a fight or have a debate either. There was
    nothing to debate. Luna is right about it all being in fun. Maybe it's like
    poking your kid sister....

  8. Luna said:


    Maybe we should look at this concept of feeling "deprived" a different
    way. After all, they're _our_ feelings, emanating from within us, so we
    should at least make an effort to control them.

    Deprived, depraved. One letter difference. A world of
    difference in attitude. And all a matter of you own
    decision. One's not fun, one is fun.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.