JGH said:Martin W. Smith <[email hidden]> wrote in
:"]news:[email hidden]:Quoted message said:oscargrouch said:well using a term in its definition is
brilliant...where'd you learn that?I didn't define surface dive. The term has a well-known
definition. I assumed you knew it. Sorry. A surface dive
is a dive that begins on the surface, not above the
surface, and not below the surface. The surface dive is
subdivided into the head first and the feet first types,
with the obvious meanings.My opinion is that things really went wrong when he asked
you if the guy was already in the water and just wants to
get to the bottom and you said no. Probably you should have
said yes.
You mean, when he asked "do you mean he's fully in the
water already (treading) and the "feet first surface dive"
is just trying to drop down in the water to get to the
bottom?" and I said "No, I mean he is in the water already,
and he does a feet first surface dive," I should have said
yes even though the guy is not treading water and a feet
first surface dive is not just trying to drop down in the
water to get to the bottom.
Quoted message said:I too am a little confused by the question since the
instructor should have explained how to do the surface dive
before asking you to do it.
But the original poster does know how to do a feet first
surface dive. He said he didn't have a problem getting to
the bottom of the pool using a feet first surface dive. His
problem is that he can't bend down to pick up the brick
because he immediately starts rising off the bottom. Several
explanations of how to do that were given.
Quoted message said:If even using the techniques your instructor taught you,
you still can't do it, maybe you're just too boyant.
Nothing can change the laws of physics. So I'm a little
iffy on what kinds of tips you might be looking for.Anyway, to do a feet first surface dive, you spread your
arms out, push down and do a scizors kick at the same time.
Push yourself as far out of the water as possible. As you
go down, you swing your arms back up over your head
providing further force downward.That should provide sufficient momentum to get you to the
bottom. You'll have to curl your legs as you touch bottom.
Letting out a little air at that point will help. Maybe
that's the key point. Don't let your momentum stop as you
hit bottom. You might have to exhale to do that.Quoted message said:
Then I suppose you have never seen a feet first,
surface dive.Quoted message said:"Martin W. Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
> "oscargrouch" <[email hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> >do you mean he's fully in the water already (treading)
> >and the "feet
first
> >surface dive" is just trying to drop down in the water
> >to get to the
bottom?
>
> No, I mean he is in the water already, and he does a
> feet first surface dive.
>
> >if so, and, mind you, i'm no hydrokinesiologist, then
> >that seems like a pretty damn inefficient way to try
> >to get to the bottom
fromQuoted message said:Quoted message said:> >that
position,
> >especially if you want to pick something up when you
> >get there...isn't it easier to dive head first and
> >swim down there?
>
> Have you never watched synchronized swimmers during a
> competition?
>
> >"Martin W. Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote in
> >message
> >"]news:[email hidden]...
> >> "oscargrouch" <[email hidden]>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> >here's my advice: don't call jumping in the pool a
> >> >"feet first surface dive"
> >>
> >> He didn't. He *is* doing a feet first surface dive.
> >> The test begins in the water, not on the deck.
> >>
> >> >"Mark Juszczec" <[email hidden]> wrote in
> >> >message -"]news:[email hidden]-
> >> >oogle.com...
> >> >> Hi folks
> >> >>
> >> >> This is kind of related.
> >> >>
> >> >> I want to take the Red Cross Lifeguard
> >> >> certifiction course. One
part
> >> >> is to grab a 10lb rubber brick off the bottom of
> >> >> the pool. I'm
doing
> >> >> a feet first surface dive to get to the bottom.
> >> >>
> >> >> The problem is, although I can get my feet to
> >> >> touch the
bottomQuoted message said:Quoted message said:> >> >> of
the
> >> >> pool, once I bend my knees to crouch to the brick
> >> >> I start floating
up.
> >> >>
> >> >> Does anyone have any tips to get to the bottom
> >> >> faster and be able to crouch down without driving
> >> >> myself away from the brick?
> >> >>
> >> >> Mark
> >> >
> >>
> >
>