Ferry/bike commuter article and video

Claire Petersky

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
> Since I was recently criticized for linking and running, this should be a
> slightly
> more annotated post.
>
> An article about increased commuter use of the ferries, over yonder:
>
> http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/bir/news/19029979.html
>
> A video of what it looks like these days:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu6VZifLlac

I can't do youtube with my paleolithic computer system
and cheapie dialup internet account, but I'm assuming
this is yet another sign of visibly increased bicycle use.
It's quite interesting to observe. I frequently see
many of our publicly available parking racks filled to
capacity and beyond, when not so long ago one might see
one or two bikes parked there. I think we're going to
need a lot more facilities for bicycle parking and
multimodal commuting, including more parking racks, larger
carrying racks on public transit buses, and more bike lockers
c/o Translink (our local public transit authority.)
I wouldn't be surprised if BC ferries are experiencing
an upsurge in cycle-commuting passengers as well.

Actually I'd like to see The City implementing public
rain shelters which incorporate not only dry bicycle
parking, but also picnic tables and maybe some
bring-your-own-briquets hibachis for a little grilling,
and keeping warm in the winter. If The City is concerned
about such places inducing loitering and subsequent crime,
they could encourage combination street food vendors/
security guards to congregate around them, while also
keeping their eyes on people's parked bikes. I wouldn't
mind leaving my bike in the care of someone who could
not only serve-up a good Mr Tubesteak, but could also
tai-kwan-do a would-be bike thief into a couple of months
of recuperation. And -- no rain-soaked saddle onto which
to park one's nether regions; not even having to tie a
plastic shopping bag onto it.

There are no decent public rain shelters in Vancouver.
In fact, the bus stop shelters are designed to funnel
the weather /in/. Well, I exaggerate (a little,) but
it often seems that way.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

"Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
>> Since I was recently criticized for linking and running, this should be a
>> slightly
>> more annotated post.
>>
>> An article about increased commuter use of the ferries, over yonder:
>>
>> http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/bir/news/19029979.html
>>
>> A video of what it looks like these days:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu6VZifLlac

> I can't do youtube with my paleolithic computer system
> and cheapie dialup internet account, but I'm assuming
> this is yet another sign of visibly increased bicycle use.

Yeah, just a short vid of people pouring off of the ferry on their bikes. It
used to be that there'd be just a handful; now there's enough that they're
talking (per the article) loading one less car so they can cram on more
bikes - they actually make more money by stacking 10 bikes in the spot a
single car takes up.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:
>>>
>>> A video of what it looks like these days:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu6VZifLlac

> Yeah, just a short vid of people pouring off of the ferry on their bikes.
> It used to be that there'd be just a handful; now there's enough that
> they're talking (per the article) loading one less car so they can cram on
> more bikes - they actually make more money by stacking 10 bikes in the
> spot a single car takes up.

The story was good, but the video really brings home what 100+ bike
commuters look like. That a lot of folks.

Claire Petersky wrote:
> Since I was recently criticized for linking and running, this should be a
> slightly
> more annotated post.
>
> An article about increased commuter use of the ferries, over yonder:
>
> http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/bir/news/19029979.html
>
> A video of what it looks like these days:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu6VZifLlac

In 1972 I spent a few days in Amsterdam, staying on a sleeping barge
behind the main railway station. I would take the ferry from near the
barge to and from the railway station, and there would always be hordes
of cyclists pouring off the barge, a scattering of mopeds, and one or
two cars looking very lost and out of place. Nice to see those days
returning.

mark

In article <[email protected]>,
"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:

>>> An article about increased commuter use of the ferries, over yonder:
>>>
>>> http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/kitsap/bir/news/19029979.html
>>>
>>> A video of what it looks like these days:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu6VZifLlac

>> I can't do youtube with my paleolithic computer system
>> and cheapie dialup internet account, but I'm assuming
>> this is yet another sign of visibly increased bicycle use.

> Yeah, just a short vid of people pouring off of the ferry on their bikes. It
> used to be that there'd be just a handful; now there's enough that they're
> talking (per the article) loading one less car so they can cram on more
> bikes - they actually make more money by stacking 10 bikes in the spot a
> single car takes up.

One interesting feature I've noticed about recent
increased ridership is that I'm suddenly experiencing
being passed *on my right* by other riders, scooting
through my door-zone safety margin.

Personally, I don't mind being passed, either on my
right or on my left. When I'm riding back home with
a dozen eggs in the milk crate, I shall not compete
with anyone.

But I get worried that these passers-on-my-right
are gonna get creamed either by dooring, or by a
car pulling out of or into a driveway, when the
driver might see me but not expect anybody being
to the right of me. Especially around the Vancouver
Racquets Club, where drivers perform all kinds of
gnarly and possibly unlawful maneouvers to get off
the street and into the parking lot. Sometimes I
can be such a worry wart. But if any of these riders
gets clobbered, I'd bet dollars to doughnut holes they'll
hang up the bike, and warn-off everybody they know, about
how cycling is too dangerous.

I intuit these folks who pass me on my right are new
urban riders who may have tinkered with BMX or other
bikes in their youth, and who like to think they're fast
and are therefore "skilled" riders (and I'm happy to help
make 'em feel good,) but are timid about venturing deeply
into where the motorized traffic goes, which is what proper
and safe passing to the left would involve.

Oh, well. At least they're not riding on the sidewalk.
At least when they're passing me on my right.

And I'm getting my dozen eggs home intact.

Have you ever noticed how a dozen eggs survives the
bike trip home from the supermarket better than a
half-dozen eggs?

cheers,
Tom

--

Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Tom Keats" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> I can't do youtube with my paleolithic computer system
>> and cheapie dialup internet account, but I'm assuming
>> this is yet another sign of visibly increased bicycle use.

> Yeah, just a short vid of people pouring off of the ferry on their bikes. It
> used to be that there'd be just a handful; now there's enough that they're
> talking (per the article) loading one less car so they can cram on more
> bikes - they actually make more money by stacking 10 bikes in the spot a
> single car takes up.

I finally got around to watching the video. My my, there really are
quite a few pouring off. I was using the ferry yesterday, and I saw
more cyclists than I normally do (even though it wasn't a commute day).

Taking the bike on the ferry is much nicer than the car anyway. Being
able to jump the queue, and never having to worry about 'will I fit on
this one, or have to wait for the next one (or the one after that)' is
really nice.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Fool-proof implies a finite number of fools."