> meb wrote: > > Am I correct in assuming this limitted > > freewheel action would preclude the rear > > cogset from being used for a 5 speed fixie?
note use of "freewheel" and "fixed gear" together.
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
A Muzi wrote: > The freewheel for an FFS/PPS has stiffer than > normal resistance and will allow a chain to > bunch up when coasting if you remove the FFS/PPS > crank system. If you set it up as a single speed > ( You misuse the term "fixie"😉 by shortening the > chain to one of the five sprockets, yes, you can > ride it effectively. Just don't include a > derailleur or tensioner unless you have the > special crank assembly.
-snip-
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
meb said:
Not sure why the term fixie is missused. Is it because a 5 speed non- freewheeling drive (times any crankset ring quantities) is not a “fixie” if gears can be changed?
-snip-
Quoted message said:
A Muzi said:
The FFS freewheels coasts. It's a freewheel, not fixed.
meb said:
So a Schlumpf BB drive with fixie hub is semantically a fixie even though multi speed.
Yes, I think we agree. "Fixed" implies no coasting. Freewheels, whether one or eight speeds, are not fixed. -- Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
Schlumpf themselves say that is it right out. From their FAQ: "9. Can speed-drive be used with a fixed wheel cycle? "No. In reverse direction, there musn't be full load. It's o.k. for actuating a coaster brake, but not for high torques during long operation periods." If anybody could give me some technical reasons for this FAQ answer, other than that they are covering their asses, I would appereciate it.
I'm not sure what you mean; manifestly it's harder to design a planetary gear that must withstand high torque in both directions. -- David Damerell <[email hidden]> flcl?
Schlumpf themselves say that is it right out. From their FAQ: "9. Can speed-drive be used with a fixed wheel cycle? "No. In reverse direction, there musn't be full load. It's o.k. for actuating a coaster brake, but not for high torques during long operation periods." If anybody could give me some technical reasons for this FAQ answer, other than that they are covering their asses, I would appereciate it.
I'm not sure what you mean; manifestly it's harder to design a planetary gear that must withstand high torque in both directions.
Maybe if you know the details of how they are designed. I never realized they were not symmetrical.
-- Benjamin Lewis
Amoebit: Amoeba/rabbit cross; it can multiply and divide at the same time.