Figment of my imagination?

vernon

Guest
During a chat with some old school mates we were swapping notes on
non-standard bits that we customised our bikes with as kids or features that
we envied but didn't have the wherewithall to get them - cow horn handle
bars, ape hangers, half moon mudguards, knobbly tyres and the like

Also had chuckles about a mutual friend that mounted his ape hangers almost
horizontally and increased his turning circle radius immensely which he
discovered to his cost hurtling downhill in a local park on his test ride

I have a recollection of a strange device that seemed to be an annular ring
that fitted over the rear spocket of the bike and offered a lower gear ratio
than standard. The ring seemed to 'float' on the rear sprocket. Have I
imagined this device as my pals have no recollection of ever seeing one?

vernon wrote:
> During a chat with some old school mates we were swapping notes on
> non-standard bits that we customised our bikes with as kids or features that
> we envied but didn't have the wherewithall to get them - cow horn handle
> bars, ape hangers, half moon mudguards, knobbly tyres and the like

what are ape hangers then ?

Simon

[email protected] wrote:
> vernon wrote:
> > During a chat with some old school mates we were swapping notes on
> > non-standard bits that we customised our bikes with as kids or features that
> > we envied but didn't have the wherewithall to get them - cow horn handle
> > bars, ape hangers, half moon mudguards, knobbly tyres and the like

> what are ape hangers then ?
>
> Simon

Perhaps he remembered it wrong and mean't Monkey Hangers !!!! I know
everyone really wants to be a Monkey Hanger (like me).

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> what are ape hangers then ?

Imagine handlebars that each side of the stem rise almost vertically with
the hand-holds turned out at 90degrees.
__ __
| |
| |
----
(Well it ain't AutoCAD)

Never had any myself but did have cow-horns fitted to a "trackie", a single
speed off-roader (not to be confused with a "Mountain Bike" as invented by
the septics and now commonly used on tracks as well as mountains but
predominant off-road usage by the masses is confined to pavements).
--
Pete
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/P

[email protected] came up with the following;:
> vernon wrote:
>> During a chat with some old school mates we were swapping notes on
>> non-standard bits that we customised our bikes with as kids or features
>> that we envied but didn't have the wherewithall to get them - cow horn
>> handle bars, ape hangers, half moon mudguards, knobbly tyres and the
>> like

> what are ape hangers then ?

Similar to the handlebars fitted to Raleigh Choppers.

God-awful things ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

> > what are ape hangers then ?
> >
> > Simon

> Perhaps he remembered it wrong and mean't Monkey Hangers !!!! I know
> everyone really wants to be a Monkey Hanger (like me).

Nah Martin, I mean ape hangers like the ones fitted to Raleigh Choppers.
The early versions of the Chopper had the ape hangers clamped and they too
couls be made to lie almost horizontal with the ensuing restricted steering
and crashes. Raleight cottoned on and equipped later versions of the
Chopper with the bars welded into a fixed position.

As for monkey hanging - how we loved to taunt the Hartlepool supporters at
Feethams during the local derby matches.

has Harlepool still got Angus as mayor?

vernon wrote:

> has Harlepool still got Angus as mayor?

Yes I believe they have. I'll ask my Mum, she lives in the same street
and knows him, his brother and parents well. H'Angus is not played by
Stuart, the mayor anymore though, they have a replacement so
technically H'Angus is not the mayor thoug I believe the original one
is.