Finding A 6 Speed Wheel

rplcmint

Jan 30, 2004
I'm looking for a rear wheel for my 18 speed bike. How do I know my 6 speed cartridge will fit on this hub - will the sleeve fit correctly?

Most of the items I see online say "8/9 speed" but will a 6 speed fit on a hub designed for a 5 or 7 speed? I suppose their is a range for these gears. The 18 speed is not an uncommon bike; but older for sure!

Can someone educate me about finding a wheel online? What am I looking for?

Originally posted by rplcmint
I'm looking for a rear wheel for my 18 speed bike. How do I know my 6 speed cartridge will fit on this hub - will the sleeve fit correctly?

Most of the items I see online say "8/9 speed" but will a 6 speed fit on a hub designed for a 5 or 7 speed? I suppose their is a range for these gears. The 18 speed is not an uncommon bike; but older for sure!

Think you need to go to a LBS and let them sort it out. You need to know the difference between freewheel and cassette(different types here too) hubs, and dropout spacing is also an issue.

Originally posted by rplcmint

I agree with boudreaux about a trip to the Local Bicycle Shop.
You can get some education by looking at Sheldon Brown's site:
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
& and a visit to Yellow Jesersey.org .... a great shop in Madison, WI that carries solutions for almost every older quality bicycle.

You might find what you want for 6 speed, but it is becoming very difficult.
You will need to know the type hub (Cassette or frewwwheel), it's Over Locknut Dimension (OLD) and then you can determine if there is a replacement.