Whew - it pays to shop around.
The other day I mangled one of my clipless pedals riding in the forest. My
mechanical skills are non-existent so I took the offending pedal off to the
shop that services my bike to look at. The bored guy behind the counter took a
quick look at it and said there was a piece missing and I needed to buy new
pedals. He then proceeded to not be bothered to talk to me about new pedals -
no sale there.
So...took the pedal to another LBS.....they said it could be fixed but "why
would you bother". Left there in a hurry.
At this stage I am resigned to getting new pedals....until...on the way to work
I went into a third LBS.....the guy looks at the pedal.....says that the
"tensioning spring" is out of place. Then he advises me that they can fix it if
I like. No worries. I set an upper limit for the repair as suggested by the
sotre guy at $25.
Today I got my pedal back.....fixed for $15.40....and I'm off into the forest
as soon as it gets dark ;-)
So, a BIG thumbs up to Lonsdale Street Cyclery in Braddon in the ACT.
A big raspberry to the other two shops which I will never set foot in again!!!
Cheers,
Rob