UK and Europe · Public discussion

Finish Line Krytech Wax Lube

Started by Simonb · · Last activity · 13 posts · 994 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
18 January 2004
Last activity
21 January 2004
Original author
Simonb
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
994
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been using this stuff for about two weeks. It just seems to disappear after a few day's riding.
    I applied it according to the instructions. I have applied it about three times since the initial
    degreasing and application. Am I doing something wrong here? Anyone had success with it?

    Simon

  2. "Simonb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been using this stuff for about two weeks. It just seems to disappear after a few day's
    riding. I applied it according to the instructions. I


    have

    Quoted message said:

    applied it about three times since the initial degreasing and application. Am I doing something
    wrong here? Anyone had success with it?

    Simon

    It's a summer lube - you're doing well to get it to last 3 days at this time of year

    Russ

  3. Russ said:

    It's a summer lube - you're doing well to get it to last 3 days at this time of year

    Ah!

    Didn't say so on the bottle.

    Thanks,

    Simon

  4. Simonb said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's a summer lube - you're doing well to get it to last 3 days at this time of year

    Quoted message said:

    Didn't say so on the bottle.

    I use White Lightning in summer and White Lightning Raceday in winter

    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.demon.co.ukchapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  5. Simonb said:

    I've been using this stuff for about two weeks. It just seems to disappear after a few day's
    riding. I applied it according to the instructions. I have applied it about three times since the
    initial degreasing and application. Am I doing something wrong here? Anyone had success with it?

    Simon


    After trying everything else, I'm back to 3-in-1 oil. No more messy than anything else and a lot
    more lubricating than some.

  6. Simonb said:

    I've been using this stuff for about two weeks. It just seems to disappear after a few day's
    riding. I applied it according to the instructions. I have applied it about three times since the
    initial degreasing and application. Am I doing something wrong here?

    No, you are doing something right... for Finish Line: giving them your money. I reckon it's cheaper
    to buy several new chains a year than it is to use these overpriced, price-fixed hard wax products.

    Castrol/Halfords Chain Wax* is a compromise lube: Although stickier, it's cheaper and longer lasting
    than Krytech or WL yet still cleaner than oil.

    * in the motorcycle section, not just designed for o-ring chain though.

    ~PB

  7. Zog The Undeniable said:

    After trying everything else, I'm back to 3-in-1 oil. No more messy than anything else and a lot
    more lubricating than some.

    3-in-1 is more messy than wax.

    ~PB

  8. Simonb <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : I've been using this stuff for about two weeks. It just seems to disappear after a few day's
    : riding. I applied it according to the instructions. I have applied it about three times since the
    : initial degreasing and application. Am I doing something wrong here? Anyone had success with it?

    No. That's what it does. A complete waste of money.

    Maybe ok in California or in a heatwave here. Maybe.

    I use a thick oil in winter and a light "dry" lube in summer. Works fine.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune clune.orgclune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  9. It's a waster of time, money and space IME. Derailleur mice thrive on it.

    P.S. Has anyone ever tried putting their chain in a cloth bag or two and rinsing (following a
    lengthy soaking in degreaser, obv.) it in the washing machine?

    --

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  10. Dave Larrington <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : P.S. Has anyone ever tried putting their chain in a cloth bag or two and rinsing (following a
    : lengthy soaking in degreaser, obv.) it in the washing machine?

    Given that chains cost not very much and washing machines are expensive?

    No.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune clune.orgclune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  11. "Dave Larrington" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's a waster of time, money and space IME. Derailleur mice thrive on it.

    P.S. Has anyone ever tried putting their chain in a cloth bag or two and rinsing (following a
    lengthy soaking in degreaser, obv.) it in the washing machine?

    --

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

    You are obviously a bachelor.

    Sam Salt

    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.563 / Virus Database: 355 - Release Date: 17/01/2004

  12. In message <[email hidden]>, Simonb
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Russ said:

    It's a summer lube - you're doing well to get it to last 3 days at this time of year

    Ah!

    Didn't say so on the bottle.

    That's 'cos it's not. Works fine for me in wet wintry weather. My guess is that you may not be
    shaking it enough before applying. It needs really really serious shaking - it seems to be a sort of
    suspension of wax in a much thinner fluid, so if you don't shake well then you'll only get the
    thinner stuff out of the bottle and the wax will probably congeal in the bottom somewhere. Even
    after a good bit of agitation, I find bits regularly get stuck in the nozzle while applying.

    Having said that, it IS expensive for what it is.

    Andy

  13. "Andy Key" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Simonb
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Russ said:

    It's a summer lube - you're doing well to get it to last 3 days at this time of year

    Ah!

    Didn't say so on the bottle.

    That's 'cos it's not. Works fine for me in wet wintry weather. My guess is that you may not be
    shaking it enough before applying. It needs really really serious shaking - it seems to be a sort
    of suspension of wax in a much thinner fluid, so if you don't shake well then you'll only get the
    thinner stuff out of the bottle and the wax will probably congeal in the bottom somewhere. Even
    after a good bit of agitation, I find bits regularly get stuck in the nozzle while applying.

    Having said that, it IS expensive for what it is.

    Andy

    Was a bloody liability in any sort of wet conditions on a mtb - most I or any of my friends could
    get it to last was about 4 hours. Cracking good lube in the dry and I would imagine that it'd work
    pretty well on a road bike but on a mtb in poor conditions best avoided. Great stuff for lubing
    cables though.

    Russ

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.