Darren G said:Quoted message said:Quoted message said:what you really need is one of those camera mounts used by film
crews that give a cushioned, body-mounted support that allow them
to follow the action and get a smooth shot.
Hmm... Not entirely sure about that. That's more of a smooth
movement thing rather than a holding perfectly steady thing, isn't
it? More useful for video than stills I'd have thought.
I think you were taking me a little too seriously (& that doesn;t
happen often)
Didn't realise how fancy a device this was.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:I wonder if an Image
Stabilisation lens would help?
Not sure the motor would cope with such a long exposure and the
slower, wider movements so well. I /think/ it is more designed to
compensate for minor shakes rather than real movement.
Probably.
Quoted message said:And it would kill the battery.
Would it? Damn, hadn't thought of that. Can you switch it off?
Quoted message said:However if you have the cash it would be nice to try :-)
Sooner or later I plan to get one or two IS lenses.
Quoted message said:I've never really got on with monopods - always found that a v light
weight tripod is equally as heavy/light but more useful.
A tripod is certainly more useful, but you're looking at it from the
wrong point of view. Firstly, my trekking poles serve as monopods (I
bought the ones with the cork handles that screw off to give you a
camera thread), so I'm not actually carrying any extra weight, since I'd
be carrying them anyway. On one occasion I shot a sunrise with three
cameras, two of which were suspended on my two monopods, jammed into the
ground and swaying gently in the breeze.
Secondly, a monopod can be set up and used very quickly, unlike a tripod
which requires taking off the rucksack, extending the legs etc. Tripods
are great if you are happy to stop for a while, but a pain in the [censored]
if you want to keep on the move. Monopods are great for "on the move"
type shots, I can unscrew the trekking pole handle and screw on the
camera whilst walking, then stop, take the shot, carry on walking,
unscrewing as I go. Far more practical for "walking photography" if you
see what I mean.
Obviously really long exposures are out of the question, but for
grabbing shots in bad light it works great. Shutter speeds of say 1/15
to 1/60, which you often wouldn't want to shoot hand-held (depending on
focal length of course) work great with a monopod, and often suffice in
bad light, withouth the hassle of setting up a tripod.
Of course, I usually carry a tripod as well, an ultralight one at the
very least (I've been caught without one too often - photographing
sunsets with a monopod is no joke!). In extreme situations I have
managed with just a monopod, such as the example above, where I jammed
the monopod into the lakeside sand of Llyn y Fan Fawr to grab a sunset,
using a 1 sec exposure with the self timer and mirror lock, hoping it
wouldn't sway during the shot. On another occasion I've successfully
photographed a waterfall at 1 sec using an immensely well braced monopod
(using a practiced sitting/kneeling technique with held in arms,
downward camera pressure and breath holding) but that's not to be
recommended for stress-free photography.
I've taken acceptably sharp pics at 1/8 sec with a wide angle, standing
upright using an angled monopod (proper one, not trekking pole) between
arm and body.
Quoted message said:And having
recently forgotten to take my tripod on holiday with me (I'm sure it
was in the car when we left but not at the airport) I found that a
fleece masquerading as a bean bag works quite well!
Don't like using clothing as bean bags, too bouncy! Okay with a self
timer I suppose, but I usually like to press the shutter release
manually with bean bag shots.
Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk