First Bike - $1600 - Perth

brooksten

May 26, 2007
Hi
I'm looking at getting my first road bike in the next month, My budget is around $1500-$1600 with comp and shoes if posssible. Ideally I would like 105 gearing but not essential. I'm expectinbg to go for 1 or 2 rides a week and clock about 80 to 100km's a week. Its more for fitness rather then racing at this stage.

Can you recommend any bikes? And when is the best time to buy - would it be better to wait a few months for winter to kick in to get some specials (when are the specials..)?
Thanks
B

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. But I've been to a few bike shops in the last week. I've seen an Avanti Giro for $1599 @ TBE in Nedlands and a Giant TCR Alliance 2 for $1599 at Runnersworld. Both bike were pretty good specials i thought, and both have 105 components (The Giro mostly 105 , THe TCR 2 Full 105). From what I've heard it IS worth going for 105 components.

Personally, I initialy intended to spend about $1000 on a basic entry level model although pretty quickly thats now looking at about $2000!

Good luck!:)

wallaby77 said:
I've seen an Avanti Giro for $1599 @ TBE in Nedlands and a Giant TCR Alliance 2 for $1599 at Runnersworld.
Thanks for the reply. If your looking at getting the Giro then TBE in Belmont has it on special for $1499. Only 2 left.

Cheers

No matter what you chose, make sure that the bike fits you. See if they will set it up for you and then take it for a ride. I had a bit more to spend but when I rode a number of bikes some felt good and some did not. Just because it is a cheap price does not mean it is a bargain and will suit you.

A few tips:

group set: 105's main advantage over tiagra and sora is that it's 10 speed. I'd go with 105 and that should last quite a few years and be more than enough for your type of riding

cassette: make sure you ask for an adequate cassette. My first bike had 11-23, a racing-oriented cassette. I didn't ever use the 11 & 12 cogs. I had it changed to a 12-25, which is much more usable. Of course since I had already clocked a few hundred Ks on mine, I had to buy a new one. Shops will change your cassette at the time of purchase if you ask them

budget: make sure you allow enough for helmet, computer, water bottles, water bottle mounts, cycling shorts and pedals and shoes if you want. All of that can easily take 350-450$

Bike: Giant and Avanti make nice mid-range bike for 1500-1700 $ ( I have a Giant TCR1). But also look for Trek, Specialized , Lemond or Scott (check Bike Force). They all have bikes in that range . Personally, I think Giants will be much better value for money in the 1500's$ range

cheers

LeDomestique said:
A few tips:

group set: 105's main advantage over tiagra and sora is that it's 10 speed. I'd go with 105 and that should last quite a few years and be more than enough for your type of riding

cassette: make sure you ask for an adequate cassette. My first bike had 11-23, a racing-oriented cassette. I didn't ever use the 11 & 12 cogs. I had it changed to a 12-25, which is much more usable. Of course since I had already clocked a few hundred Ks on mine, I had to buy a new one. Shops will change your cassette at the time of purchase if you ask them

budget: make sure you allow enough for helmet, computer, water bottles, water bottle mounts, cycling shorts and pedals and shoes if you want. All of that can easily take 350-450$

Bike: Giant and Avanti make nice mid-range bike for 1500-1700 $ ( I have a Giant TCR1). But also look for Trek, Specialized , Lemond or Scott (check Bike Force). They all have bikes in that range . Personally, I think Giants will be much better value for money in the 1500's$ range

cheers
Thanks for the cassett advice, i'll be sure to keep that in mind.

I like the Treck 1400, however I've heard bad things about the wheels on the Treks - any views? Any views on Lamonds or Scott's? I havent seen to many models in the $1500 - $1800 range.

How does the TCR1 ride? I was looking at the TCR's however was advised that I should stay clear of the model given they are more suited for Tri's (this comment is somewhat over my head......?) - any views?

Thanks again!
B

Gaz from Oz said:
No matter what you chose, make sure that the bike fits you. See if they will set it up for you and then take it for a ride. I had a bit more to spend but when I rode a number of bikes some felt good and some did not. Just because it is a cheap price does not mean it is a bargain and will suit you.
Thanks Gaz - when you say, go for a ride, what can be expected? 30 minute ride, or more of a 2 min spin around the corner?

Cheers

brooksten said:
Thanks Gaz - when you say, go for a ride, what can be expected? 30 minute ride, or more of a 2 min spin around the corner?

Cheers
Sorry I have been in Brisbane for work for a few days. It depends on the bike shop really. I was lucky enough to have at least 30 minutes and took it over a few rough roads to test it. On the other hand one shop let me ride up and down a nearby street and that was it. Some of the overseas people talk about borrowing for overnight. I think you need to talk to the shop and see what they will do.