In article <[email hidden]>,
[email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:08:59 -0400, David Kerber
ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net said:In article <[email hidden]>,
[email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:I wanted to ride the MS150 (75 miles a day for two
days) and then a century the week before or after the
MS150 ride. However, the MS150 AND the local century
are on the same weekend. It's also my first century
(last year, I did the MS ride, although it was only 60
miles a day, and a bunch of other 60-70 mile rides). On
the one hand, I'm thinking of ditching the MS 150 so
that I can join the century club. On the other hand,
I'm thinking that a century is only another 25 miles
(over the 75 I'd be doing for the MS150), so why not
ride 75 miles for one day and 100 miles the next?
What think ye?
Sounds reasonable. If you are confident of being able to
ride 75 miles on consecutive days, then adding another
25 to one of those days shouldn't be a major problem;
it's only another 33%. I've found that I can increase my
long-ride mileage by 50% at a shot with no major
problems, as long as I'm not riding that much every day.
Well, that is a problem -- can I ride 75 each day? Last
year, the 60 miles each day weren't bad, but I'd have to
do about 15 more the first day then about 40 more the next
day to do the 75+100 (and I say about because the distance
on my computer might not be the distance they give). The
other problem is that I like both charities, so I'd like
to give money to both (while getting a fully supported
ride in, too).
How much training have you been doing so far this year? If
you have been getting in at least a few 50-milers and feel
good after them, I would think you'd be ok, as long as you
be sure to hydrate and refuel consistently during the ride.
I did a hill 70-miler last weekend, which was the longest
I've ever done in a day, but I had several 50-milers in
earlier in the year, and I made sure to carb-up for a couple
of days before, and hydrate the day before, and during the
ride as well. I felt great, and was able to do the last two
miles at over 21 mph as a "finishing sprint".
--
Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in
the newsgroups if possible).