First day not being a bike courier any more

Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
> >
> > dej wrote:
> > > "Theo Bekkers" wrote

> > > And you seem to have missed the line stating you can still hear the
> > > gears changing.
> > > If you can hear that, surely you can hear a radio.

> > He said he had trouble hearing the radio, so, with earplugs, he will hear it
> > better? :)

> Musicians earphones are different to standard ones, designed to filter
> rather than just cut it all out. We use special headphones at the range
> that cut out the firing noise but allow you to hear people speaking.

I'd probably hear the radio better with earplugs, just as when listening
to someone in a noisy environment it is easier to hear their words with
my fingers in/on my ears.

I have some custom-moulded earplugs that reduce sound levels by a flat
20 dB(A) but find them annoying to wear for more than a few hours.

They also tend to alter my perception of the positions of sources of
sounds and markedly reduce their fidelity, which are very important
(to me at least) in judging/knowing what is around me while cycling.

- mkli.

I'm hearing impaired (moderate - severe in one ear, severe to profound in the other) and I wouldn't have it any other way. I sometimes think that even if I was able to get an operation which would fix my hearing, I wouldn't do it because I could never get used to hearing again (how would I ever sleep!?!).

Hearing is overrated. The only bummer is the $4000 outlay when my hearing aids **** themselves. That kind of sucks.

Yippee for being a deafie!

LotteDeafBum

On 2006-02-10, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
> dej wrote:
>> "Theo Bekkers" wrote

>>> I think you missed the importance of listening to the company radio.

>> And you seem to have missed the line stating you can still hear the
>> gears changing.
>> If you can hear that, surely you can hear a radio.

> He said he had trouble hearing the radio, so, with earplugs, he will hear it
> better? :)

Yes. For the same reason that orange sunnies help in contrast, and
putting an OIII filter on your telescope helps bring out the faint
fuzzies (the latter because the sky emits continuum, and you cut out
99% of that ****, but the nebula of interest emits primarily OIII,
which you are letting 80% through).

--
TimC
I admit that X is the second worst windowing system in the world,

I've seen guys last a few hours on the road so don't worry you didn't set a
record. Not for everyone. I do it all day and live in the CBD too. I love
the Melbourne CBD. I get out for a run before work along the river and
relax in the pubs at night. How hard is that. :)

Well you got a taste of what its like and got to see the inside if lifts you
never would of gone in.

"Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> mkli wrote:
>
> > I tend to have sensitive ears anyway, and with the ringing in my ears
> > becoming louder each day,

> Obviously ear muffs are not the go, but some of the cheap foam plugs are
> very good at cutting the volume of noise down but still allowing
> conversation.

Me too; the CBD is ace. Of course, washing my bike becomes an issue as
I have no backyard and, therefore, no hose. I think that's been about
the only downside so far. Oh no, also the longer ride to the BR start
point.

Yeah I find that too. Having a wet dirty bike is no fun without a back yard
but I use an alley way downstairs. I can get a hot drink while I do it too.
Ahh the perks.

I've got to run. I'll rack up the km's and another 40-50 jobs today as
usual. Body goes into work mode and attitude shitfts LOL

news:[email protected]...