First Ever Folding Bike - 1971 Raleigh Twenty

dshardpolerwas

Jul 1, 2015
Hi. I usually hang out in the Classic & Vintage forum, and just realized that there is a Folding forum. I live near Portland, OR where the bike market is "hot" and prices are higher than most places. I bought this 1971 Raleigh Twenty and have stripped it down, removed rust best I could, greased & repacked bottom bracket, headset and the front hub. I disassembled the rear Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed hub, cleaned, lubed & reassembled. New brake pads, cables & housing. It's so fun to ride.

Originally designed for the 451 20" sized wheels, this bike for the American market came with the 406 20" wheels. Thought I'd post a couple of photos. Not sure if I'll keep the cottered Raleigh Heron crankset, and have read up on bottom bracket options as the bb shell is around 76mm with Raleigh 26 tpi threading.

Reactions: gdaly and haleylx4
I like upgraded 20s. But back in the day on a standard 20 the cotter pin seared and I damaged ankle ligaments. I refuse to ride another cotter pin crank since. Get rid of the cotterpins I vote.
Welcome to the fold.

I miss my R20's original crankset. I have a modern one fitted after the BB was worn out but the original has a special look. I am actually thinking as far as trying to get a cotter BB axle so I can put it back. The original axle is toast.

Anyway, good job on the R20. The one with the thimble fork crown style is nice.

I like the look of the cottered crank on that bike. Putting $125 to face and tap, then find a new bottom bracket and cranks just wouldn't be worth it (at least not to me).

The bike looks great right now, ride it and have fun.

One option would be to sell the bike and get a Dawes Kingpin instead. Looks very similar but has the advantage of standard threaded bottom bracket. Dont know if they were available in the US.

Isn't the trick to find an excuse to make a trip to some far off place like India, see a really good mechanic and have him overhaul the BB, replace the cotters and give you spares? Might take some research, but I am quite sure good cotter pins and the skill to deal with them is still around, just maybe not in the 1st world. (The Greek mechanic of my racing/bike shop days could do them in his sleep.)

So, you need to find an excuse to visit some far off place. I'm thinking India because you could come home with a lifetime of enlightenment. And if that happens, what's the plane fare matter?

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Hi. I usually hang out in the Classic & Vintage forum, and just realized that there is a Folding forum. I live near Portland, OR where the bike market is "hot" and prices are higher than most places. I bought this 1971 Raleigh Twenty and have stripped it down, removed rust best I could, greased & repacked bottom bracket, headset and the front hub. I disassembled the rear Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed hub, cleaned, lubed & reassembled. New brake pads, cables & housing. It's so fun to ride.

Originally designed for the 451 20" sized wheels, this bike for the American market came with the 406 20" wheels. Thought I'd post a couple of photos. Not sure if I'll keep the cottered Raleigh Heron crankset, and have read up on bottom bracket options as the bb shell is around 76mm with Raleigh 26 tpi threading.

Well that is very stunning! Bet its worth a few quid too!

foldingbikesguide.com