First long spin on an exercise bike was weird(?)

tdiedwards

Sep 15, 2005
Hi everyone,

I'm as new to this forum as I am to cycle training. I'm 31 and have just bought an exercise bike as a broken arm (don't arm wrestle EVER. when 2 unstoppable forces meet, the imovable object, ie. your humerus, breaks!) has stopped me from doing martial arts for the forseeable. Have never used a bike much and can't really cycle in Jakarta because it's a horrible city so an upright exercise bike seemed a good way to start.

Yesterday I decided to set a bench mark by doing 50km on 9/15 traction. I did it in 3 hours 10 mins. I felt like I had pushed myself as hard as my legs could take duing the exercise and afterwards I felt like I weighed 100 tonnes while trying to climb the stairs, so that was all good...

But...my heart rate hardly increased and at no point was I breathing hard. I was expecting a serious cardio workout. When I run on a track my lungs are worked very hard. Could anyone tell me why the bike workout didn't do the same? Is that normal? Did I do something wrong? Or do I have the cardiovascular capacity of a greek hero (doubtful)?

Thanks very much for any comments.
Tim

If your HR had been high and your breathing heavy (as when running), could you have kept going for 3+ hrs? The duration and intensity are inversely proportional, so a long ride like that will typically be at a somewhat lower intensity. Compared to running, recreational biking tends to be a longer duration, less intense exercise. It's still a good aerobic workout.

If you get bored and want to feel your heart pounding and breathing get ragged once in a while, kick up the traction for a harder, shorter ride or interval workout. The longer rides are still good for you, though, so feel free to mix it up a little.

tdiedwards said:
Hi everyone,

I'm as new to this forum as I am to cycle training. I'm 31 and have just bought an exercise bike as a broken arm (don't arm wrestle EVER. when 2 unstoppable forces meet, the imovable object, ie. your humerus, breaks!) has stopped me from doing martial arts for the forseeable. Have never used a bike much and can't really cycle in Jakarta because it's a horrible city so an upright exercise bike seemed a good way to start.

Yesterday I decided to set a bench mark by doing 50km on 9/15 traction. I did it in 3 hours 10 mins. I felt like I had pushed myself as hard as my legs could take duing the exercise and afterwards I felt like I weighed 100 tonnes while trying to climb the stairs, so that was all good...

But...my heart rate hardly increased and at no point was I breathing hard. I was expecting a serious cardio workout. When I run on a track my lungs are worked very hard. Could anyone tell me why the bike workout didn't do the same? Is that normal? Did I do something wrong? Or do I have the cardiovascular capacity of a greek hero (doubtful)?

Thanks very much for any comments.
Tim
Well I know exactly what you are talking about. Stationnary don't match the real thing as far as heart rate and breathing hard. But for the next winter, I still plan to give it an other try.

My plan, will be to start by a pretty long phase dominated by interval training on the stationnary bike. Tonight, the weather will be pretty bad where I live. So I'll try something like this :
40 times 40 seconds hard, with 20 seconds ez spin (40 mins in total)
It will be preceded by a warmup and followed by a warmdown

The consequence of that interval phase on the stationnary, should be a better leg adaptation. After, as the weeks go, I will lenghten the intervals. It should give me enough puch and thus, I should see my HR increase on stationnary.

Gd luck:)

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Just read my bike's instruction book the other day for the first time and found I'd done 50 miles, not 50 kms:D ...but that only reinforces what you were saying about long rides.

A friend of mine has suggested including Tabata, which looks the same as your idea- 20 seconds beasting at max resistance, 10 seconds rest, repeated 8 times.

I tried that yesterday and was certainly breathing hard! My heart rate probably rocketed too, but I was too knackered to check it.:)

I have also heard that the body adapts quite fast to cycle training, so that mixing up your training is important.

One more question though, if I may. I understand that "running" on the pedals like you do on a real bike sometimes taxes the calve (calf?) muscles? I can't "run" on my exercise bike; Even at max, the resistance is too low. Is there another exercise I can do at home or on a track that will help prepare my calves for real cycling?

Thanks loads,
Tim