First memories of a bike ride.

jhuskey

Oct 6, 2003
It was somewhere in the 50's I don't remember the year. I can tell you that man had not walked on the Moon,the Beatles were unknowns computers were sci-fi stuff and Vietnam,Afghanistan and Iraq were unimportant little places with funny names. My father had acquired a small bike with a broken frame which he had welded back together at a local garage. My brother (10 years my senior) took me to the top of a small but steep hill placed me on the bike and pushed. Thanks to Honeysuckle Vines I was cushioned somewhat from the Barbed Wire Fence I crashed into,which were common back then. I don't remember how many times he repeated this torture (several) but I am sure enough to satisfy him that I was in adequate pain besides I think it got too dark for him to see me crash. I am sure in his maniacle mind he was just teaching his little brother to ride a bike.
Training wheels you ask! Never heard of them. Don't really remember if I soloed after that or was coerced into riding again. I do that that in later years I graduated to the traditional 26 inch frame bike with flared fenders huge wheels and around 50lbs with cardboard in the spokes to make the bike sound like in had a motor. Balloons made the best noise but didn't hold up long.
Well thats my fisrt memory of a bike got many more but thats another story.

Anyone else got a good or bad first memory???