rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

First MUni ride, and a broken finger.

Started by burjzyntski · · Last activity · 18 posts · 223 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
2 January 2007
Last activity
18 January 2007
Original author
burjzyntski
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
223
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Some of you have undoubtedly seen the two or three threads that I made
    requesting a ride while I was in New York, and well, I went on my first
    MUni ride with Adam (JustOneWheel) and his buddy Jeff (shibumi, I
    believe). It was a great trail, the Greenbelt, and totally different
    from anything I'd ever done before. My mother accompanied us on
    mountainbike, and I borrowed Adam's KH24 (my 20" would never have
    worked for this type of terrain and distance). I had my first
    experience with a Coker, and it was great. I was suprised at how well
    Adam and Jeff managed MUni with a Coker! On one of the final stretches
    of the trail, after we'd covered about 3-4miles of uphill, downhill,
    switchbacks, drops, roots, skinnies, and just uneven surfaces, I UPD'd
    down a particularly narrow bit of trail. I was in the lead and I went
    over a drop that was smaller than others that we'd done earlier, but
    something happened and I bounced off the seat and, in the process of
    trying to regain control, I launched myself forward off the unicycle on
    the downstroke and flew a couple feet before I could no longer control
    my feet and fell. Putting one's hands out to catch oneself is a reflex,
    so I slid on my right shoulder and stubbed my right ring finger. It
    swelled up almost immediately and seared with pain. Adam administered
    the 'stretch test' and we all rode back to the car thinking that I had
    just hyperextended a tendon, and thats what the constant sickening
    cracking sensation was. Back at his house he made me a 'custom ice
    pack' which really helped to alleviate the pain for a few hours. Our
    flight out of NY was at 8:20pm that night, so I had to ask a flight
    attendant for some more ice after my initial packs melted. Since it was
    after midnight when we finally got home, and since New Year's Eve and
    New Year's Day are holidays our local Medicenter was closed, and
    because I didn't want to wait in line for five hours at the hospital, I
    went for an X-ray today and found that it wasn't my ring finger that
    was broken, like I had thought, but the bone under it (the fourth
    metacarpal).

    I have a splint that covers my forearm, wrist, and metacarpus until I
    get the bone re-set (:eek🙂 and casted tomorrow morning at 9:30am.

    No unicycling for 4-6 weeks :o 🙁

    (X-ray pics will be scanned and uploaded if anyone so desires to see
    them 😄)

    --
    burjzyntski

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    \"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"

    "In summary: You want to make sure your Koxx is hard enough before you
    start drilling."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  2. Unlucky mate 🙁

    --
    thejdw

    unicycle for hobnobs!😄

    torkerdx said:

    another bit of advice:
    shut up and ride🙂
    some people get the concept, some don't

    Borgschulze said:

    I'm going to eat a Vegan for my new years resolution.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  3. Wow. Too bad about the finger. Resetting it doesn't sound like any fun
    either. Good luck.

    Muni is fun, huh?

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  4. OWW!! That sucks, man. I'm sorry

    --
    Goats_On_Unicycles

    "A political candidate who jumps to conclusions without knowing the
    facts is not a person you want as your commander in chief."
    George W. Bush
    'MY -GROOVY- GALLERY' (http://tinyurl.com/yeceup) * Unicycle
    For Goats!!!!!* PM me if you want in!
    (Team Goats)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goats_On_Unicycles's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12566
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  5. burjzyntski said:

    ...I went on my first MUni ride with Adam (JustOneWheel) and his buddy
    Jeff (shibumi, I believe).

    A great pair of tour-guides! Sorry about the finger, but it sounds like
    a good intro to Muni, especially cool that you got to try the tractor
    of the unicycle world, the KH24.

    --
    steveyo

    steveyo

    ...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

    Check out my 'uni race write-ups'
    (http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  6. Oh yeah, the KH24 was amazing. I could barely believe how light it was!
    Noticeably lighter than my 20" Hoppley ("the KH frame is paper", said
    Adam, and he's not kidding).

    --
    burjzyntski

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    \"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"

    "In summary: You want to make sure your Koxx is hard enough before you
    start drilling."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  7. You may never play the piano again.

    Could you before?

    --
    Mikefule

    If there's one thing I've learned, it's that most people don't.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mikefule's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/879
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  8. Yes, I used to play piano and accordion (my grandma made me learn it).

    A semi-interesting shortened version of a story about an accordionist
    in my family;
    My father grew up in Michigan where there is a lot of Polish influence
    (we're Polish too) and he played accordion in school. He met some guy
    and they played for a while together when they were younger. The man he
    met and played with ended up (20 or so years later) being "Weird Al"
    Yankovic's father. We still have his old accordion and my slightly
    smaller one.

    Luckily we got some good pictures and footage before I fell and injured
    myself. I would have really liked to have finished the trail...

    I only hope I can type this easily once I have a proper cast on
    🙄

    --
    burjzyntski

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    \"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"

    "In summary: You want to make sure your Koxx is hard enough before you
    start drilling."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  9. That sucks. I've never broken anything.. knock on wood. Good to hear
    you enjoyed muni, that's all I ride really. When you own a 24",
    especially a KH24 with a gazz, you don't do much trials or street. Did
    you get a chance to use a brake? Those add a whole new element to
    muni. Cokers and 29ers are fun too, I think a 29er will be my next
    one.

    --
    sugarloafur

    "Friends don't let friends use training heels" - Andy Rosenberg

    *'My Gallery' (http://www.nohillnothrill.com/) -
    UPDATED*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sugarloafur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11213
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  10. I did not get a chance to use a brake, but I did, as I stated in my
    original post, get to try out a Coker for the first time! I rode Jeff's
    Coker for a little while as we were on the trails. It's pretty
    difficult having your first experience with a 36" wheel while doing
    Muni. The things have so much momentum and are difficult to turn & slow
    down (if you've never rode one before). I'd love to get one...But I
    think, unfortunately, it'll have to wait 4-6 weeks 🙁

    --
    burjzyntski

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    \"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"

    "In summary: You want to make sure your Koxx is hard enough before you
    start drilling."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  11. Some pics from the ride:
    http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/326/1dsc03029xk8.jpg
    http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2552/1dsc03044ul5.jpg

    --
    burjzyntski

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    \"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"

    "In summary: You want to make sure your Koxx is hard enough before you
    start drilling."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  12. ahhh..isn't Muni Fun?!

    --
    musketman

    MUSKETMAN
    www.unicycle.com

    For Sale: Parachute, only used once, never opened, small stain
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  13. Wow Joe, I'm sorry to hear that your finger actually broke. It really
    didn't look that bad at the time. I called Adam a little while ago and
    he was shocked as well. Hopefully after tomorrow you should feel a
    little better.🙂

    It was great to ride with you and your mom. For a couple of
    "flatlanders" you handled those trails like pro's. 😄

    --
    shibumi

    Jeff

    "Everyone is my equal, in that I may learn from them." Quote from 'All
    in the Family'
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    shibumi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8816
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  14. Here is a pic of the actual fracture.

    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6720/1dsc03058ti6.jpg

    --
    burjzyntski

    It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

    \"every silver lining has a touch of gray.\"

    "In summary: You want to make sure your Koxx is hard enough before you
    start drilling."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  15. Sorry about the broken finger, but I'm glad you had a great ride.
    Other than the freaky accident, it was good to see you enjoying the
    trails.
    Get well soon and we will see you next time around.

    P.S. Nothing can make you as H-A-P-P-Y- as buying yourself a
    C-O-K-E-R-!- I hope I was able to show you some of the possibilities a
    Coker has to offer.

    Adam
    Just One Wheel

    --
    JustOneWheel

    There is no better way to have Fun and Exercise. "UNICYCLE"
    Every one should have "FUN ON ONE"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  16. Mikefule said:

    You may never play the piano again.

    Could you before?

    hahaha 😄 im going to have to remember that one..

    And to burjzyntski, welcome to the world of muni 🙂 . I broke my pinkie
    the first time i went(your break looks and sounds much more awful
    though).
    Landing on your hand is better than landing on your face though, i
    kinda got a double whammy, i broke my pinky then smacked my face on a
    rock which resulted in me needing 4 stitches right above the bridge of
    my nose. Scars make good ice breakers so its ok.

    --
    unisteez

    -what, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your
    loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'this life as you now live it and
    have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times
    more' ...- -AMOR FATI-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisteez's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11988
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  17. DAMN that must suck big time. Hope it get better and the x-rays don't
    turn out to be too serious.Cause I have a _permanent_ dislocated leg
    because i was riding my unicycle once and the tire popped and i went
    straight into a street pole and my right leg grabbed the pole and you
    hear this pop like i just snapped 100 paddlepop sticks. I was in
    hospital for 2 1/2 months after that. The pain was so intense that the
    morphine shots did bugger all.

    Then again we're only human :p :p :p
    Hope you get better burjzyntski
    Hazmat

    --
    Hazmat

    If you fail at unicycling or unicycle tricks, try again, when you try
    again. You will never fail.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

  18. Muni is nice. thats pretty much all i do. it nice you got to use the kh.
    ive got one too and they are great. the broken finger sucks though.

    --
    +ZeroGravity+
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    +ZeroGravity+'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14154
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/56308

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.