Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

First Report-Shimano Compact Crank-AOK

Started by Chance3290 · · Last activity · 8 posts · 2,235 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 February 2006
Last activity
25 November 2006
Original author
Chance3290
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,235
Views / 30 days
11

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I got my Shimano R700 installed and everything is OK, so far. My front derailleur is a 105 and it works fine without having to be altered, lower, etc. Shortened the chain a mite and that's it.
    The neighborhood hills aren't much, but so far this crankset is working fine. I'll head for some hills this weekend and see how it goes.

  2. Chance3290 said:

    I got my Shimano R700 installed and everything is OK, so far. My front derailleur is a 105 and it works fine without having to be altered, lower, etc. Shortened the chain a mite and that's it.
    The neighborhood hills aren't much, but so far this crankset is working fine. I'll head for some hills this weekend and see how it goes.


    This crank set looks real interesting. In some pictures I've seen the arms look like the flat silver Ultegra finish and some look like a highly polished finished. Can you verify what finish is actually on the arms?

  3. rodenmg said:

    This crank set looks real interesting. In some pictures I've seen the arms look like the flat silver Ultegra finish and some look like a highly polished finished. Can you verify what finish is actually on the arms?


    Its got the flat finish. It looks a lot more like the Dura Ace than the Ultegra. I like the standard Ultegra double look, you know, minimalistic look I guess you could call it. But if this works, looks are secondary.

  4. Do you know the weight of Shimano R700 Compact (with BB)?

  5. dvince said:

    Do you know the weight of Shimano R700 Compact (with BB)?

    It says the crankset is 826grams. I can't find the stats for the BB, but I'd be very surprised if it puts the total over 1000.
    I took it out for a turn last evening and I am very happy. I took a hill that used to max me out and I took it in 50 and mid cassette.
    I also noticed that the normal 53-11 or 53-12 chain rub that you usually hear is gone. I didn't hear anything at 50-12.

  6. Confused, I just bought the r700 and the arms are shiny/chrome and big ring is like DA 10sp matte finish.

  7. Chance3290 said:

    I got my Shimano R700 installed and everything is OK, so far. My front derailleur is a 105 and it works fine without having to be altered, lower, etc. Shortened the chain a mite and that's it.
    The neighborhood hills aren't much, but so far this crankset is working fine. I'll head for some hills this weekend and see how it goes.

    Is your 105 9spd or 10spd? I was told at the LBS that the Shimano R700 required a 10spd front derailer.

  8. PS: I'm selling my previous FSA Compact Carbon Pros with D/A BB in case anyone's interested. They are 172.5's and I went with 165's for the R700...

    http://www.cyclingforums.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1941

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.